Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 18th October 2017, 14:48   #1
Abott10

Thanked 1,917 Times in 1,328 Posts
Question Interesting ebay ZT 1.8T Piston Query.

Have a look at the images on this ebay auction for an interesting potential project MG ZT 1.8T.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/mg-zt-turb...oAAOSwUchZ5ke7

One of the images shows "new" pistons. Now, judging by the size and spacing of the Valve Clearance Cut Outs on the Piston Crowns alone, those look like NASP not Turbo pistons to me.

From memory, the last time I looked closely at the Piston Tops on an MG ZT 1.8T, it had 160 engraved on the top. No idea if that is of any significance.

Comments please on what pistons appear fitted.

Also appears fitted with the VVC/TF135 Style Inlet Manifold.
Abott10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2017, 14:58   #2
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

The number embossed on the first piston 710000117 comes back as a 1.8T piston As to the VVC inlet, quite a few of us have them fitted
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2017, 15:16   #3
Georgies Dad
This is my second home

Land Rover

Thanked 2,925 Times in 1,979 Posts

Sold as Spares or Repair rings the alarm bells

Steve and Georgie

Together Forever

Lonely days are long
Twilight sings a song
All the happiness that used to be

Soon my eyes will close
Soon I'll find repose
And in dreams, you're always near to me

I'll see you in my dreams
And then I'll hold you in my dreams
Georgies Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2017, 15:25   #4
Lovel
I really should get out more.......

P6B, L550, Imp, F56, Commando

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGJohn View Post
Have a look at the images on this ebay auction for an interesting potential project MG ZT 1.8T.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/mg-zt-turb...oAAOSwUchZ5ke7

One of the images shows "new" pistons. Now, judging by the size and spacing of the Valve Clearance Cut Outs on the Piston Crowns alone, those look like NASP not Turbo pistons to me.

From memory, the last time I looked closely at the Piston Tops on an MG ZT 1.8T, it had 160 engraved on the top. No idea if that is of any significance.

Comments please on what pistons appear fitted.

Also appears fitted with the VVC/TF135 Style Inlet Manifold.

MG Rover supplied engines for the turbo models had 160 stamped on the crowns of the pistons. The turbo pistons are different in the ring landing area compared to NASP. well they were originally!

DMGR are selling the SAIC/Nanjing pistons and liners at cracking value. The photos in the ebay add appear to be that.
https://www.dmgrs.co.uk/collections/...urbo-lfl000990

I believe latterly the Turbo UK production engines used more and more common parts from the 1.8 NASP over time. For example didn't the initial valves for the turbo model contain sodium?
Crankshaft and main bearing shells were colour coded initially, but if you look at the Chinese and the aftermarket shells you will see that the just made the shells all standard on a new crank, there were no infinite range of selective coloured bearings, saved costs, and your average owner would not recognise the difference, perhaps optimum for race engines yes.
The original bearing tolerances were in region of .00001" with selective shells.

Last edited by Lovel; 18th October 2017 at 15:35..
Lovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2017, 16:03   #5
TomRS
Posted a thing or two

Mk1 ZT 190 - Mk2 ZS 180 - Mercedes E63 AMG S - Ford Ranger Hawk

I have actually seen this car around in Barrow in Furness a few times... the car is now located in Workinton which is about an hour away.
I am unsure if its now owned by someone else but it was certainly located in Barrow for a few weeks, owned by a younger guy.

Interesting that its up for spares and repairs... with all the work done doesnt seem right?
TomRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2017, 16:18   #6
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,462 Posts

it's been sold a couple times recently I think, as I've seen it pop up a few times on the facebook groups with different owners putting up pics of it. Remember it being up for sale about 4-5 months ago i think or maybe longer.
How to restore cloudy projector headlights Link
Rick-sta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2017, 16:22   #7
TomRS
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick-sta View Post
it's been sold a couple times recently I think, as I've seen it pop up a few times on the facebook groups with different owners putting up pics of it. Remember it being up for sale about 4-5 months ago i think or maybe longer.
So either the coilovers have ruined it and people dont want it or the thing doesnt run well?
Old 18th October 2017, 17:21   #8
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,462 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomRS View Post
So either the coilovers have ruined it and people dont want it or the thing doesnt run well?
I recon so, I think it may be more due to the coilovers, as I remember the last add for it mentioning that the coilovers were making some noises or something along those lines.
How to restore cloudy projector headlights Link
Rick-sta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2017, 17:47   #9
minimutly
Posted a thing or two

mg zt

The early nasp pistons had larger cutouts and weaker ring lands between 1 and 2, which can take a battering if the engine goes into detonation or knock. The size of the cutouts are otherwise of no significance provided the turbo rods are fitted.
The e46 coil overs are interesting though - maybe I'll see if I can get hold of a std strut to see if it'll fit my zt? Possibly a better choice of replacements?
minimutly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2017, 15:58   #10
TomRS
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by minimutly View Post
The early nasp pistons had larger cutouts and weaker ring lands between 1 and 2, which can take a battering if the engine goes into detonation or knock. The size of the cutouts are otherwise of no significance provided the turbo rods are fitted.
The e46 coil overs are interesting though - maybe I'll see if I can get hold of a std strut to see if it'll fit my zt? Possibly a better choice of replacements?
I run the E46 coilovers on mine and are noise free and provides a nice ride on the softest damper setting... i mean its no R75 wafter but its comfortable given the cheapness of the coilovers.

But yes as above i suspect the engine might not be 100% i just cant see why it would change hands so much in 5 months.
I know of two owners in that time and Rick has pointed out he's seen it a few times.
Looks to be a base spec car as well, so really nothing to really set it apart... i do like the wheels though.