Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 6th June 2018, 23:57   #21
Andy_with_a_screwdriver
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer CDTi

It will be fine, the faster you go on the motorway the quicker it will cool down. And yes using the heater will help remove heat from the engine

The cooling fan on my diesel tourer has never switched on ( without air con) in the 12 months I've had it.
In fact in over 15 years of driving a variety of diesels I can't recall the cooling fans ever coming on in normal driving conditions, and that includes some trips in France with the air temperature well above 30 degrees.

The rover air con system is the only one I've had where the cooling fan runs when A/C is switched on, so I'm sure there would be sufficient air forced through engine bay at 60+mph for that to be fine as well.
Andy_with_a_screwdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2018, 00:49   #22
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

All the above posts are well and good, and in some cases true, ie the diesel engine does run efficient so is quite cool, but lets never ever forget there is always one exception to the rule.

Does the OP know if he as a 2 speed fan with silver resistor or not ? if he does then he could well get that sorted before his journey.

If he does have to use the car I would most certainly run it with OBC at 19 then 7 so he can check the true temperature on his journey.

Remember the low speed works in conjunction with the A/C so it would be a case of windows open if it is a hot day to keep your self cool

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "

Last edited by Arctic; 7th June 2018 at 00:51..
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2018, 06:26   #23
P-Nut
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 190+

If you get stuck in traffic turn it off, I had to do it with an old 306 I had once.
P-Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2018, 08:01   #24
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by agw_01 View Post
Without a working fan you risk damaging the AC compressor if the AC is allowed to operate.
I’m afraid that is not the case Andrew. If the refrigerant pressure exceeds a certain value the high pressure trinary switch will operate and disengage the compressor clutch. I am not, however, advocating that members deliberately run their air conditioning without a working radiator fan, irrespective of engine type.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heddy View Post
Does air con even work without the fan?
Yes but very inefficiently at slow road speeds and it will be even worse when stationary. Persistent use in these circumstances may cause the compressor to disengage.
Quote:
Also, can damage be caused to air con components whilst the fan doesn't work?
No, for the reason given to Andrew above. It must be remembered that the trinary switch is a safety cut-out device so it is not good practice to operate any system when part of it is known to be defective.

Simon
Old 7th June 2018, 15:33   #25
Rogue
I really should get out more.......

75 CDT SE 160 Saloon

Thanked 1,096 Times in 774 Posts

I've just done a run to Brighton and back (360 miles) in warm weather and the temps never got above 86 deg. I got a bluetooth odb reader and had all the relevant figures showing on my phone in real time using the Torque app. In the few years i've had my diesel i don't think i've ever heard the fan kick in unless i've turned the aircon on.

Glutton for punishment --- Previously ... 2.6 SD1 x 2, 3.5 SD1, 820S, 820Si x2, 216 Gsi, 220T saloon, 414, 45 1.4 x2 and now a Cowley 75 CDT
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2018, 19:27   #26
Sebastienclement
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE

I've had my diesel for 4 years and covered 55k. It has had no working cooling fans for ALL of that mileage.

I always drive with the temp showing on the dash & never had a problem. Highest it's got up to in traffic was about 100'c after a couple of hours of stop start traffic. Soon came down again when we were on the move.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Sebastienclement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2018, 22:59   #27
Comfortably Numb
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Ibought a cheap 405 TD load-lugger a few years ago. Never knew the cooling fan didn't work until I got stuck in stop-start traffic on the M6 one sunny, summer Friday evening, when the temp gauge went a bit high. So I just switched off every time the traffic stopped. When I got home, I checked the fan worked with a direct supply, and as I couldn't for certain trace the fault, just wired it direct to the battery with an old toggle switch out of the bits drawer. If I ever got stuck in traffic after that, I just switched on the fan!
Comfortably Numb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2018, 15:52   #28
davidcarp
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Classic CDT SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
I've just done a run to Brighton and back (360 miles) in warm weather and the temps never got above 86 deg. I got a bluetooth odb reader and had all the relevant figures showing on my phone in real time using the Torque app. In the few years i've had my diesel i don't think i've ever heard the fan kick in unless i've turned the aircon on.
Hi Pete
My fan got stuck on high speed so I took the 80 amp fuse out so no fan. Never had a problem. Sent you a PM. Is your post box full? All the best

Dave
davidcarp is offline   Reply With Quote