Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 20th June 2018, 16:51   #1
Abott10

Thanked 1,917 Times in 1,328 Posts
Default This is why the Scrappage Scheme was such a beneficial concept.

WARNING. Contains images of old MGs and Rovers and other tat.

https://youtu.be/Taf7o9sOFkc
Abott10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2018, 17:27   #2
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

Blooming heck! What a waste, all those legendary cars just sitting there... I wonder if a inventory is kept?

I luv the fact the guys used a drone to scout the whole area, simply brilliant.

Wait till Lord Rover see's this, he will pop down there and save them all. Come-on Dave, I will be right behind you buddy.

Thanks for posting John.
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2018, 17:56   #3
Coups
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Contemporary SE

I’d like to think that someone with a little sense saw these cars coming into the garages under the scrappage schemes and managed to symphony them out. Problem is what can be done with them now? The government’s scrappage scheme required the cars traded in to be scrapped. Wonder if that has meant that they are officially recorded as being scrapped even though they escaped the crusher.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Coups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2018, 18:29   #4
Lordy
This is my second home

Ford Probe GT.

Thanked 2,516 Times in 1,481 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas View Post
Blooming heck! What a waste, all those legendary cars just sitting there... I wonder if a inventory is kept?

I luv the fact the guys used a drone to scout the whole area, simply brilliant.

Wait till Lord Rover see's this, he will pop down there and save them all. Come-on Dave, I will be right behind you buddy.

Thanks for posting John.
Where is this place?

Right that's its were going were going that's its now.

Lest we forget.

Never forget them and support our armed forces.

https://i.imgur.com/oyca2Lyl.jpg?1
Passion Never Dies It Only Gets Stronger.
Go your own way.

Lordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2018, 18:52   #5
Comfortably Numb
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Don't see my son's old Corsa there. Bought for £575, 6years touble free motoring (actually the most reliable car ever in our family). Then friendly garage confirmed the welding needed for next MoT would cost more than the car's value, so he traded it in for a Picanto on scrappage. So £2,000 discount for the Corsa with less than 1 month MoT to run. And the Picanto has picked up the mantle of most trouble free car ever. Failed parts so far (76,000miles/8years - 1 number plate bulb. No breakdowns. Just normal servicing. I don't see any base model mass market cars, so yes, perhaps somebody couldn't bear to crush them. Who puts a Morgan in for scrappage? Condition almost irrelevant, it's worth more than £2k as a rusty wreck, and with [I]any[I] MoT? Likewise the MGB. Scruffy 205GTi's might well have been worth less. (But not worthless!)
Comfortably Numb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2018, 19:10   #6
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

I think it's reasonable to assume that those who traded these cars in actually made sound financial judgments as opposed to the bystanders who comment on and question everything that others do but go quiet when it comes to spending the money.

I see that there were Jaguar XJS's in the video. It would probably cost around £30k to £50k to turn an old, rotted, XJS V12 into a classic that will last and will be worth keeping as a classic. As a result, I suspect that most people would not see more than £1k value in such rotted bits of metal.

Equally, I don't believe that 2015 Mercedes would be sitting on that field unless there were very good reasons for them being there.

Those who think that what happened to these cars was a travesty, should go out and buy up old cars of their liking and start the restorations. There are still a lot of them about for a couple of £k each for sale.

The fact that people got rid of old rot boxes actually had nothing to do with the EU, the politicians or the media. The owners simply did not see any value in keeping them.

Last edited by MSS; 20th June 2018 at 19:18..
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2018, 19:18   #7
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Don’t fret guys this is a video from the last scrappage scheme, I know the place where these were stored and they are (nearly) All gone.
Old 20th June 2018, 19:21   #8
Moonshine Mark
I really should get out more.......

2005 Monogram Atmosphere ZT CDTI Auto + 2010 BMW 123d Convertible + 2005 MG TF 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post
I think it's reasonable to assume that those who traded these cars in actually made sound financial judgments as opposed to the bystanders who comment on and question everything that others do but go quiet when it comes to spending the money.

I see that there were Jaguar XJS's in the video. It would probably cost around £30k to £50k to turn an old, rotted, XJS V12 into a classic that will last and will be worth keeping as a classic. As a result, I suspect that most people would not see more than £1k value in such rotted bits of metal.

Equally, I don't believe that 2015 Mercedes would be sitting on that field unless there were very good reasons for them being there.

Those who think that what happened to these cars was a travesty, should go out and buy up old cars of their liking and start the restorations. There are still a lot of them about for a couple of £k each for sale.

The fact that people got rid of old rot boxes actually had nothing to do with the EU, the politicians or the media. The owners simply did not see any value in keeping them.

Have to agree, yes there are some nice old cars here but not many of them look in particularly good condition.

I have an MG TF in the garage that is in need of a shed load of work, it's probably worth less than £1k and I will fix it up because I am mad, if I was more sensible I would grab £2k out of a dealer's hand any day of the week
Moonshine Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2018, 19:25   #9
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

Looks like my neighbours front garden

People have been scrapping cars for years that become too expensive to run. I'm not sure why this is news?

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/
topman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2018, 20:01   #10
SideValve
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

The Govt. should take that lot, tidy them up, fit electric motors, flog them back to us. Rover 2000 Leaf anyone :¬)
The Story So Far: Austin A35, Morris Oxford, Triumph Herald, Mini 850, Mini 1000, Austin Allegro, MG Midget, MGB GT, Rover SD1 2600, Austin Maxi, Rover 200, Rover 825, Rover 800, Bedford TK, Range Rover 3.9 efi, Rover 400, Rover 100, MGF, Rover 25, Rover 75 1.8, Rover 75 Connoisseur SE 2.0 V6, MGF 1.8i, Rover 75 Connoisseur 2.0 V6 Auto, Morris Eight Series E, Morris Minor 1275.
SideValve is offline   Reply With Quote