Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 10th December 2018, 23:10   #31
newhavenhibby
Avid contributor

JDM Subaru Legacy GTB6 twin turbo,, JDM Subaru Impreza WRX

Correct....that wasn't an immediate .......they went through the normal 4 stages of full denture making......impression, bite, try with final reline imp and then fit. The denture should have been as good as they could get at that moment in time. ( and indeed better than an immediate where the technician has to estimate so much.) An immediate, as the name suggests, is fitted on the day the extractions take place.

Traditional denture fabrication and teaching is actually on the decline in dental hospitals as more emphasis is placed on saving teeth and obviously prosthetics allied to implants. There are certain technicians who are "allowed" and "registered" to make dentures direct to the public and they can be a better bet as they deal with dentures all day every day. Drawback to this is that they obviously charge a private fee.

Most people now grow into their old age with some if not all their natural teeth so sometimes full denture making experience amongst younger dentists can be a little low.

Dentists indeed are totally discouraged from referring to Oral Surgery departments unless it is for something major like cancer, medical complications etc. In past times most dentists would refer their wisdom teeth extractions in but unless there is a complex root structure or nerve involvement they are not supposed to do this now. This gives the max fax surgeons time to deal with more involved cases. Certainly this was the case with the RDE and Musgrove when I worked in Exeter / Taunton area.

Last edited by newhavenhibby; 10th December 2018 at 23:23..
newhavenhibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2018, 23:32   #32
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhavenhibby View Post
That wasn't an immediate .......they went through the normal 4 stages of denture making......impression, bite, try with final reline imp and then fit. The denture should have been as good as they could get at that moment in time. ( and indeed better than an immediate where the technician has to estimate so much.) An immediate, as the name suggests, is fitted on the day the extractions take place.

Denture fabrication and teaching is actually on the decline in dental hospitals as more emphasis is placed on saving teeth and obviously prosthetics allied to implants.

Most people now grow into their old age with some if not all their natural teeth so sometimes full denture making experience amongst younger dentists can be a little low.

Dentists indeed are totally discouraged from referring to Oral Surgery departments unless it is for something major like cancer etc. In past times most dentists would refer their wisdom teeth extractions in but unless there is a complex root structure or nerve involvement they are not allowed to do this now. This gives the max fax surgeons time to deal with more involved cases. Certainly this was the case with the RDE when I worked in Exeter.
On the day of upper extractions and impression, my dentist said next week I will have my immediate denture. I arrived on the second week and she said the lab wanted the 4 week visits as the impressions were not good enough.

When I picked up the upper denture the dentist said come back in 2/3 months for a reline, and then six months for a permanent denture, she said it will fit better then. lol

When I got my partials done some years ago, the impressions were taken first and sent away, dentures made and then extractions done.

I think the best way forward now is for me to wait for extraction date from maxfax for the lowers, then wait at least 8-12 weeks to get a new upper and lower temporary denture done, that's if I can wait that long.

My concern is these upper canine bulges, I cant see any upper denture fitting not until the bone shrinks back some more. The pain and discomfort of wearing the new upper denture just for those few hours was agony, it was actually ripping my gums apart.

Last edited by Dallas; 11th December 2018 at 00:00..
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2018, 23:42   #33
newhavenhibby
Avid contributor

You'd be amazed what a correct adjustment can do........either grinding ( in the canine area in this case) or temp reline. In any denture case like this I would expect to see the patient a number of times for adjustments especially in the first few weeks.

The final fit after waiting 6 months will indeed be better as they will be made on a stable base and the canine areas can be taken into account once remodelling has finished. Once stable these areas can be used to your advantage and can give a denture a great amount of support.

Last edited by newhavenhibby; 10th December 2018 at 23:50..
Old 10th December 2018, 23:52   #34
Dallas
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhavenhibby View Post
You'd be amazed what a correct adjustment can do........either grinding or temp reline.

The final fit after waiting 6 months will indeed be better as they will be made on a stable base.
I wish you were my dentist.

I'm going to have to go back to my dentist soon I suppose to let them know about maxfax and the lowers coming out. See what she says then, will she fix my current ill fitting loose 5 week old upper, or will she want me to wait until I get my lowers extracted?

Grinding in, that is what I thought. The dentist would only have to groove out part of the side of the denture around the canine bulge, I've even thought about doing it myself with my dremel. I done this with my partial because it was ill fitting, I actually made it a perfect fit.

Its whether I can walk around with no teeth for awhile, at the moment I cant see me ever wearing a denture, I've lost all faith.

Last edited by Dallas; 11th December 2018 at 00:07..
Old 11th December 2018, 07:15   #35
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas View Post

Thanks Phil, You will have to tell me your story some day, you can hear more of mine. lol

Its certainly been hard Phil, coping with pain for so many years and now coming to terms of having no teeth has been difficult. I'm in my late 40's and somewhat of a show-off, my looks are/have already changed some. I will find it hard, but stopping all this pain and discomfort is the goal to a happier pain free life.

I'm not sure if I will go straight to temps as my current upper temp is way to big already. I may wait 6-8 weeks or so and then get measured for a new full upper and lower temp denture, better chance of them fitting. So I may be walking the streets for awhile with no teeth looking old, oh! and a soft food diet, that's the pits.
But it will all be worth it in the end. No more pain and beautiful looking teeth, no more visits to the dentist....imagine that
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2018, 09:44   #36
newhavenhibby
Avid contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas View Post
I wish you were my dentist.

I'm going to have to go back to my dentist soon I suppose to let them know about maxfax and the lowers coming out. See what she says then, will she fix my current ill fitting loose 5 week old upper, or will she want me to wait until I get my lowers extracted?

Grinding in, that is what I thought. The dentist would only have to groove out part of the side of the denture around the canine bulge, I've even thought about doing it myself with my dremel. I done this with my partial because it was ill fitting, I actually made it a perfect fit.

Its whether I can walk around with no teeth for awhile, at the moment I cant see me ever wearing a denture, I've lost all faith.
Perseverance is the word Dallas.

Your only experience at present is a temporary full denture which by its nature is on an unstable base. Think of it like laying a slab in a patio.........it is most dependent on the sub base and base. If this is not stable and is changing say due to the weather it won't be stable on the top slab.

All new full / full dentures will feel "big" due to the nerve endings all round the mouth telling the brain about 2 lumps of plastic now occupying the mouth! This is where the persevfrance comes in and eventually this feeling subsides in most cases. Dentists can make the palate in a very thin cobalt chrome ( not in the first 6 months after extractions) often for strength but also to allow the tongue more room.

As I mentioned there are technicians who are licensed and trained to deal direct with the public. All they do are dentures and so have more full / full denture experience than most ordinary dentists, especially the younger ones where often dental schools hardly teach anything on the subject anymore.

Even if you find you still struggle then there is always the implant road to go down where a number of , usually, titanium implants are fixed to your top and bottom jaws and then the dentures fix and anchor on to them ( still removable for cleaning etc). The results are fantastic, the procedure is not as "nasty" as it sounds and the longevity of them is well proven.

If you do go down the implant road eventually, then pm me and I will find out a reputable oral surgeon in your area from a good colleague of mine in Exeter. Many dentists now do implants but some have only had a minimal training so I think it is always good to have someone with the full qualification in implantology.

The drawback to the last two suggestions is the cost as they are private but sometimes if you find normal dentures are not working then it is worth the cost especially to give you your confidence back ( especially as NHS band 3 is now over £250 so doesn't take long to run up a large bill). However we may find that you do indeed adapt to normal dentures and let us hope so.

By the way even with dentures you should STILL VISIT A DENTIST to have soft tissues etc checked for early signs of cancer etc. I specialized for 20 years into the elderly and EMI patients ( often in Nursing Homes and Hospitals) and so came across many dentures. I found a number of cancerous issues in patients with "no teeth" and so had not attended a dentist for soft tissue checks.

I am often on the forum so any advice you want just put up a post or pm me. Makes a change from thinking about plenum chambers lol.

Last edited by newhavenhibby; 11th December 2018 at 10:30..
Old 11th December 2018, 10:29   #37
Dallas
This is my second home

Thank you Ashley, your offer is very much appreciated, I may well call on you expertise at some point.

I think the only problem I'm experiencing with this new temporary upper denture is due to the thickness of the acrylic around the large canine area, once the gum and bone reabsorbs some more, I reckon all will be good with the next denture. Thankfully I have no problem with gagging, my palate area is quite deep and I can tolerate a full palate, I understand some people can suffer gagging problems.

I'm still in two minds whether to go back to the dentist and get them to alter this current denture (if they can) or simply wait for the maxfax team to extract my lowers and then opt for a new upper the same time as getting the lower made.

I have thought about the idea of titanium implants, but have come to the conclusion of not wanting anything drilled into my bone. I think after suffering many root canals over the years with endless problems, I just want rid now and not have any more dental work performed.

I cant believe how having no teeth effects your speech, since the upper extractions and not being able to wear the denture, I sound like a right wally. Then there's the soft food diet, how much mash potatoes and mashed veg can one eat?

I just hope when I get this next denture set made, the dentist and lab will do a good job.
Old 11th December 2018, 10:41   #38
newhavenhibby
Avid contributor

I would go back and see if an adjustment can be made to the present temporary. ( even 2 or 3 times......adjustments are free!) The sooner your brain gets used to the feel and gets rid of that "big" feeling the better. The longer it is left the harder it will become as the mouth and especially the tongue gets used to the extra space.

Just as you are at present adapting your speech with no teeth then you will have to re adapt to speaking with dentures. Certain sounds are formed around the space left which at present is greater than when the plate is present.

Don't confuse root canal and post crowns with implants. Totally different so are not to be discounted. The success rate is fantastic and I have seen many patients confidence restored by having them after years of normal denture struggles.

If you do return for an adjustment do try and wear for a short time as it will give an indication to the dentist where to adjust.

Last edited by newhavenhibby; 11th December 2018 at 10:43..
Old 11th December 2018, 11:19   #39
Dallas
This is my second home

Thanks Ash, watch this space...

I'm hoping the hospital maxfax team will ring me in a few days asking me to come in, they asked me if I could come in at a moments noticed, I obviously said yes.

If this happens I will have to hold fire for the immediate lower temp and just opt for the adjustments to the current upper temp. I cant believe how complicated this has become, the NHS sure don't make things easy do they?

As for speech, its amazing how we take 'talking' for granted, I sound like I should be on a Jeremy Kyle show. I do hope these dentures do eventually fit, otherwise I wont want to talk. lol
Old 12th December 2018, 20:10   #40
Dallas
This is my second home

I was in deep thought earlier today and wondered where I went wrong with my teeth, could I have done something different?

The choices we get given in life and the paths we take, could I have done something that would have made all the difference in myself avoiding so many dental problems, or has my life been mapped out from day one with regards to genes and genetics?

Us humans normally have 32 teeth including our wisdom teeth, basically that's 32 ticking time bombs ready to explode. They say the human body is an amazing machine, but there are so many design faults which need improving.

Where do we send our complaints?

Last edited by Dallas; 12th December 2018 at 20:45..