Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 4th March 2019, 20:47   #1
Abott10

Thanked 1,917 Times in 1,328 Posts
Exclamation Would you Adam and Eve it.. ?

Jaguar's I-Pace has been awarded COTY
Abott10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2019, 20:54   #2
gnu
Gets stuck in

MG ZT

Well deserved, I'm sure.
Old 4th March 2019, 21:23   #3
Split or Bust
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Sadly hardly British anymore with Jaguar now owned by Tata Motors and the i-Pace, according to Wikipedia (so it must be right?!?!), is built in Austria
Split or Bust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2019, 22:33   #4
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

I've just had a look at one on google, err ok so it's a dodgem

2200kg of bloat, no wonder the Europeans like it, a range of 240 miles (allegedly) and a 0-60 time of 4.5 seconds (one or the other, but not both)

Where do these modern styling cues come from I wonder? I'm sorry it's not something I'd wish to own.

I cannot wait for the near future to arrive when our ageing foreign owned electricity networks are overwhelmed by the increase in demand, and decrease in generating capacity...........still never mind the people who have chosen to become "energy conscious" by installing a "smart" meter won't mind waiting for the sun to shine, or the wind to blow to enable them to recharge their car

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2019, 01:09   #5
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

I just want to know what this emerging obsession that car makers appear to be having with greenhouses is? I'd rather not be roasted in the summer through a glass roof thanks very much.

As for the rest of the 'styling'.... what the heck is that? Change the grille and the badge and it could be any non-descript korean made eurobox. Dare I say that even Audi make a better looking car?

And Brian is right 2200 kg Have you seen the pitiful lack of space in the back? It's essentially a 2+2 (i.e. a 2 seater with a token back seat). Why don't the manufacturers stop kidding themselves in this size car and just make a 2 seater? - you can spec it for carrying 1 person with no luggage 98% of the time and save 500kg of batteries!! (and it'd still weigh more than a 75!

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2019, 07:30   #6
oxfordblue75
Gets stuck in

rover 75 saloon 1.8T

The manufacturers seem to design there whole range by taking the smallest model and hitting the enlarge button on the design dept computer and making one design a bit longer, a bit higher, just look at the BMW endless numbers range!
oxfordblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2019, 09:29   #7
Stephen Fussell
Regional Secretary

2015 Mini Challenge 210 & 2005 Rover 75 Classic CDTi

I have a new MG ZS and I have to say, I've had it just over a year and it's been a great car to own. Good decent boot, loads of room inside, comfy ride and reasonable fuel economy. What more can I need?
Stephen Fussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2019, 10:04   #8
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

IMO you chaps miss one important fact - we like cars that the public did not want to buy and the majority here only buy because of banger territory prices. Our views are are now irrelevant in relation to car design and purchase.

The modern car is designed for the ripped jeans generation. The generation that thinks the Nissan Puke and the Quashkai look cool.

Jaguar's sales have increased by a factor of nearly four in the last 10 years since they lost their "traditional jaguar" image.

Brian - check out some of the reviews on the I-Pace. The 0-60 acceleration has been tested as 0.2 slower than an AMG C63. I think that speaks volumes for the car's performance.

The term "eurobox" makes me laugh. I constantly drool over CLS63, SLK and XF-Sportbrake "euroboxes".

PS my ripped jeans cost £6 form ASDA and are in that state because of almost daily gardening jobs and age. They are worn through necessity but with a degree of embarrassed. Youngsters that I see on a daily basis spend between 6 and 10 times that amount buying broadly similar looking jeans and wear them with pride.

Last edited by MSS; 5th March 2019 at 10:13..
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2019, 10:08   #9
victorgte
I really should get out more.......

MGTF, MGZT, Range Rover

It’s good to read threads like this. Having decided not to buy brand new cars anymore I have to get information from today’s buyers as it’s those cars that I will buy a few years from now. Finally MG seem to be making an appealing range of cars that people want. If they get really good at it and sell more units they may even produce a TF successor? Depends on how they want to develop the brand and if they want to go into a niche market. They were producing the MG6 at a time when the big manufacturers were dropping their saloon development plans. Even Ford are to drop the Mondeo soon. Local Ford dealer in Gloucester had a very smart Mondeo Vignale sat on its forecourt for over a year. Couldn’t sell it. At around 30k, buyers were going to look at BMW and Mercedes instead which is simply badge snobbery.
MG it seems are creating a new MG brand that is untarnished, new and fresh making a convertible more likely as it will attract buyers much younger than the rest of us! I’m interested to see how they are doing in 10 years time.
Old 5th March 2019, 10:16   #10
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorgte View Post
It’s good to read threads like this. Having decided not to buy brand new cars anymore I have to get information from today’s buyers as it’s those cars that I will buy a few years from now. Finally MG seem to be making an appealing range of cars that people want. If they get really good at it and sell more units they may even produce a TF successor? Depends on how they want to develop the brand and if they want to go into a niche market. They were producing the MG6 at a time when the big manufacturers were dropping their saloon development plans. Even Ford are to drop the Mondeo soon. Local Ford dealer in Gloucester had a very smart Mondeo Vignale sat on its forecourt for over a year. Couldn’t sell it. At around 30k, buyers were going to look at BMW and Mercedes instead which is simply badge snobbery.
MG it seems are creating a new MG brand that is untarnished, new and fresh making a convertible more likely as it will attract buyers much younger than the rest of us! I’m interested to see how they are doing in 10 years time.
Dealer support is spotty for the Chinese MG, I was speaking to someone who owns one last week where they had to undertake a 500 mile round trip to have a software upgrade applied, and a camshaft sensor.

This was all down to the fact the "local" dealers (only a 200 mile round trip) couldn't guarantee to have the part required, which would mean another trip after the part had been ordered.

It's small wonder they are not selling a large amount of these cars

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote