Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 5th March 2019, 10:27   #11
Stephen Fussell
Regional Secretary

2015 Mini Challenge 210 & 2005 Rover 75 Classic CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
Dealer support is spotty for the Chinese MG, I was speaking to someone who owns one last week where they had to undertake a 500 mile round trip to have a software upgrade applied, and a camshaft sensor.

This was all down to the fact the "local" dealers (only a 200 mile round trip) couldn't guarantee to have the part required, which would mean another trip after the part had been ordered.

It's small wonder they are not selling a large amount of these cars

Brian
I admit, that is the one issue I have with the MG. I have to drive to South Gloucester with mine, which is about an hour away.
Luckily... I've only had to return it for it's first service.
Stephen Fussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2019, 16:11   #12
The Rovering Member
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avulon View Post
I just want to know what this emerging obsession that car makers appear to be having with greenhouses is? I'd rather not be roasted in the summer through a glass roof thanks very much.
Rover were a forerunner of this feature with the P6 Triplex roof.

The Rovering Member is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2019, 17:17   #13
gadget1960
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 saloon

As someone has previously remarked I felt it necessary to reply ... I didn't buy my 75 because it fell into the nice cheap affordable motor category, there are endless choices along those lines, I chose the 75 purely because I liked the overall lines, the fit 'n' finish, the spec, the drive train and so on.
Price or affordability didn't come into the equation when choosing a used car.
Over the years I have had a few brand new cars, each and every one I picked because I liked it based on how it looked and performed and generally looked to the motoring journals for it to be 'rubber stamped' as a good buy.
The problem I have with new cars is this ... none of them excite me in the way my Capri 2.8 special, Sapphire Cosworth, RS 2000 mk2 did at the time. There really is nothing under £30,000 that I would consider spending my hard earned on, sure ... the modern car is loaded with tech and creature comforts and ticks a lot of boxes for the modern buyer but for me ... they just fall into a kind of 'grey' area for choice, imo most modern Euroboxes could wear any badge and most buyers would be none the wiser! When I owned an 94 XJ6 it always got admiring glances because it was instantly recognisable as a Jaguar, the modern Jags need to be pointed out, they are just not individual enough imo.
I suppose it also has a lot to do with the fact that I like to tinker with cars and their mechanicals, it's a deep rooted hobby of mine and modern cars just don't allow you to do it.
If all I had to do to my car was wash it and drive it ... I think I would be very bored with motoring in general.
This is all Just my opinion on modern motoring which counts for nothing here but ... the 60's 70's 80's and 90's imo were the best decades for motoring and choice of chariot and I was so lucky to be a part of it and now it's just all blurring into insignificance.
gadget1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2019, 18:29   #14
gadget1960
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 saloon

Thanks MGJohn, you've hit the nail squarely on the head, my 75 ticks pretty much all the boxes for me being a decent level of refinement, reliability, looks etc but can and probably will keep me busy with the spanners, and if at any time in the near future it decides to empty my wallet to any real extent I have the option sell it or scrap it and not worry in the slightest about it's residual value as with a multi thousand pound new car.
gadget1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2019, 21:41   #15
Slaya
Loves to post

MG ZT V6 160+, MG TF 135, Focus 1.6 Zetec

My MG6 was very good, felt solid, reasonable on fuel, looked good, well equipped.

It just didn't feel like a ZT and felt a little under powered - that is the main reason I sold it and went back to a ZT.

The person who bought it appears to have moved to a house nearby, so I see it very regularly now - the new owner loves it and says it is the best car they have ever had.

Slaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2019, 21:49   #16
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

The cars made these days are all for women who do not feel safe unless they are sitting in cars that weigh ten ton,and five foot high. They are driven like sports cars, without any thought as to stopping.And another thing is, how can those damn lights be legal. If I put 100 watt bulbs in my car, they are illegal. Yet these spotlight like lights are so bright and certainly not aimed properly.Utterly ridiculous and unsafe for other drivers. On the new cars the headlights are just at other drivers eye line. I think they should be banned on the grounds of safety. I have actually thought of fitting a couple of the old spotlights., blue spot, that I took off my Daimler many years ago, and mounting them rally style at the same height. Did you know that headlights can not be higher than 41 inches from the ground, I think. Be good idea to measure some of these ‘blinders’ to see how high they are.
Old 5th March 2019, 21:55   #17
Simondi
Regional Secretary

MGTF, MG ZS EV Exclusive

Thanked 3,563 Times in 1,857 Posts

Well, for what it's worth. We have a new ZS and it is superb.
Simondi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2019, 23:21   #18
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
The cars made these days are all for women who do not feel safe unless they are sitting in cars that weigh ten ton,and five foot high.
Other groups out there value the height and ease of access as well, parents getting kids in and out of car seats, an aging population means that the numbers needing cars that are easy to get in and out of are increasing.

I think another knock on are people who never really think about having a high up car until they try one and who are then converted.

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/
topman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2019, 00:09   #19
Kevin Williams
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDT Tourer [116 bhp] in Wedgwood Blue / MG ZT CDTi [131bhp] in Anthracite

Fully endorse the comments so far.

I had atrip to the opticians a couple of weeks ago and needed some new glasses. The optician asked if I did a lot of night drivingand explained that the new car bright headlights are now causing eye problems and that they supply anti glare glasses as standard to try and minimise
Kevin Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2019, 00:32   #20
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
The cars made these days are all for women who do not feel safe unless they are sitting in cars that weigh ten ton,and five foot high. They are driven like sports cars, without any thought as to stopping.And another thing is, how can those damn lights be legal. If I put 100 watt bulbs in my car, they are illegal. Yet these spotlight like lights are so bright and certainly not aimed properly.Utterly ridiculous and unsafe for other drivers. On the new cars the headlights are just at other drivers eye line. I think they should be banned on the grounds of safety. I have actually thought of fitting a couple of the old spotlights., blue spot, that I took off my Daimler many years ago, and mounting them rally style at the same height. Did you know that headlights can not be higher than 41 inches from the ground, I think. Be good idea to measure some of these ‘blinders’ to see how high they are.
I must be cut from the same grumpy cloth as you.........I've just unearthed a set of Cibie Super Oscars and was considering setting them on one of the roof cross bars.

Many moons ago I had a pair of Cibie Airport 35 quartz iodine driving lamps bolted to the rear parcel shelf, and when you had some pillock behind on main beam, a quick flick of the switch was all that was required to "remind" them of their folly.

What really gets my goat are cars fitted with super bright led rear lights, especially SUV type cars, where the inconsiderate person driving insists upon standing on the brake pedal while stationary at night.

How hard is it to apply the handbrake??, I use mine as a matter of course if stopped for more than five seconds at a set of traffic lights.

Super bright led headlamps, xenon gas discharge lamps, to be fair if you think any of this is necessary to enable you to see in the dark, your licence should be restricted to daytime driving only due to defective night vision.

I drove one of the Marinas last week, 7" Lucas sealed beam headlights, in the rain, after dark along an unlit road..........do you know what happened?? nothing at all, I made the journey in complete safety without any anxiety that I couldn't see the road ahead safely, nor that I didn't have a complex that there was no airbag, nor servo assistance to the brakes, nor power steering, or ABS.

The point I'm trying to make here, sometimes technological advances are for the good, but considering some of the current "Mini" range is now the size of a 75, and "supersizing" cars gives the driver a false sense of security when on the road.

Many moons ago, I sold my first XW Rover to my then boss, a 1989 G reg 214SLi.

He gave it to one of his sales reps who had complained about his Passat TDi estate not being the "red i" model, and refused to wash or vacuum it in protest.

After driving the Rover for a day, this character came into the office complaining the car he'd been given as a punishment was dangerous........the reason it didn't have PAS, nor air conditioning

I don't think he was too impressed at being called a "soft puff" by the gaffer though, especially when he was told I'd managed to clock up 45,000 miles in the same car over a ten month period

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote