Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 24th May 2021, 11:42   #11
Ducati750cc
Loves to post

Rover75 tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
I always use lock wire to hold new ball boots in place. You can use pliers to twist it but if you have the correct lock wire pliers it looks better.

Yes, they are an easily used, cheap tool and as with with many tools you find other things you can wire up.

One word of caution, if used carefully they work fantastically, if not you end up with 3/4 of a boot and a nice black rubber hair bobble, OK if you sport a pony tail.
Old 24th May 2021, 15:57   #12
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

I used to be a long time ago an Aircraft engineer and we used lock wire on everything, for the first few times you can create some amazingly deep cuts in your hands with lock wire but once you have learnt the technique it is as you say the tool and lock wire has a lot of uses.

I am lucky enough to still have some lock wire pliers I had from 30 years ago, if you can afford it buy a good set and they will see you out.

Always use Stainless Lock wire for obvious reasons.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2021, 17:20   #13
AndrewJames
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
I used to be a long time ago an Aircraft engineer and we used lock wire on everything, for the first few times you can create some amazingly deep cuts in your hands with lock wire but once you have learnt the technique it is as you say the tool and lock wire has a lot of uses.

I am lucky enough to still have some lock wire pliers I had from 30 years ago, if you can afford it buy a good set and they will see you out.

Always use Stainless Lock wire for obvious reasons.
I did get "tool envy" when watching the things in use on youtube so I may have a look. My wife is always asking "no, ANOTHER tool?" when I bring something home but even if they sit in the box for a few months they always get used eventually! And then I feel its all justified...hmm, I could be a hoarder
AndrewJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2021, 16:00   #14
AndrewJames
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

https://imgur.com/a/RLOnVIQ

I won't be starting my own custom tool making business that's for sure... But I was bored over lunch today and made these based on the YouTube link someone sent
Old 2nd June 2021, 20:39   #15
AndrewJames
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

Hi, I just wanted to post an update in case it helps any members in the future. I purchased two different boots in case I got stuck. Boot number 4 from balljointboots and also a boot for a volvo 240 which I for some reason thought might work too. I ended up putting the one from balljointboots on. The boot was perhaps slightly too "tall" but with a bit of persuasion you can make it work and it works well. The volvo boot was a no go and was too small IMHO.

Thank you for the recommendation for lockwire. I purchased some lockwire pliers and I've got to say... Not only do they work well, they're also really cool