Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 28th June 2021, 18:49   #11
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Whilst reverse bleeding may flush out more detritus than a normal bleed, if I fit a new slave cylinder I strip the master cylinder out and clean all the components thoroughly before connecting it to the new slave cylinder.

You can do it leaving the pipework in place - just remove the push rod securing pin and unbolt the master cylinder and lay it in a suitable plastic container in the footwell. Unscrew the lid, remove the condom, release the clip securing the piston and pull it out, then clean everything and blow through the small holes in the body.

Surprising how much muck comes out. Once reassembled then bleed it again thoroughly to ensure anything left in the pipe is flushed through.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2021, 13:03   #12
Siestaman
Regular poster

Rover 75

Both of the last and the latest slave cylinders have been LUK, fittings. Supposed to be the best. I'm thinking the guide tube has problems but the master cylinder was replaced 8,000km ago. Shouldn't it last longer than 8k? I've looked at how the garage replaces the whole clutch assembly. They remove the subframe and both drive shafts. The gearbox was on the ground when I looked at the slave cylinder and the cylinder seemed to move very freely. I couldn't see the locator guide properly and I hadn't read that could be causing the problem. I have provided the garage with the information supplied in this listing.
I have been back to the garage today and the car is almost reassembled and ready for me tomorrow. I don't think they've read the info I provided. I wonder how many km I'll get on this clutch assembly? I'm not confident of a satisfactory repair this time either. Finger's crossed.
Siestaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2021, 13:50   #13
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

The problem could be moving the slave cylinder while it is fitted in the gearbox, it is best not to move it while the gearbox is out of the car.

Just fit the cylinder in place, reassemble the gearbox and all should be ok.
Old 29th June 2021, 19:32   #14
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siestaman View Post
Both of the last and the latest slave cylinders have been LUK, fittings. Supposed to be the best. I'm thinking the guide tube has problems but the master cylinder was replaced 8,000km ago. Shouldn't it last longer than 8k? I've looked at how the garage replaces the whole clutch assembly. They remove the subframe and both drive shafts. The gearbox was on the ground when I looked at the slave cylinder and the cylinder seemed to move very freely. I couldn't see the locator guide properly and I hadn't read that could be causing the problem. I have provided the garage with the information supplied in this listing.
I have been back to the garage today and the car is almost reassembled and ready for me tomorrow. I don't think they've read the info I provided. I wonder how many km I'll get on this clutch assembly? I'm not confident of a satisfactory repair this time either. Finger's crossed.
NOT READ YOUR INFO !!!!!

The trouble is that if you do what you have always done you will always get what you've always got.

That garage and their mechanic is a N0-No.-----
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2021, 19:55   #15
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
The problem could be moving the slave cylinder while it is fitted in the gearbox, it is best not to move it while the gearbox is out of the car.

Just fit the cylinder in place, reassemble the gearbox and all should be ok.

can you explain a bit more why this is a problem? Thanks

macafee2
macafee2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2021, 20:27   #16
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
can you explain a bit more why this is a problem? Thanks

macafee2

Yes Ian, as we know the slave cylinder is made of plastic, the front and back clip together as part of the assembly process.

If a heavy handed mechanic was to dislodge the front, or insecure it somehow by ‘working’ the slave by pressing the thrust bearing then the life of the cylinder could be compromised as the cylinder might not be lined up correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 1st July 2021, 14:02   #17
Siestaman
Regular poster

Rover 75

Smile

I've just collected the car. It was fully assembled & ready to drive. I doubt that they read the contents of this thread before completing the work, even though I did provided copies and a translated edited thread.
Let's hope I get a bit more mileage before the next clutch replacement is required.
Thanks to everyone who responded to this thread.
Siestaman is offline   Reply With Quote