Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 25th June 2021, 09:28   #11
AndrewJames
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

It's a bit of a slog to compress them at home, if it's anything like doing the springs on a 75 CDT. I think I used four spring compressors. It made the springs on my Micra seem like the springs that come out pens.
AndrewJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2021, 09:43   #12
Retap
Loves to post

MG ZT-T CDTi

Andrew yes agreed there is a lot of kinetic energy in these springs when compressed waiting to erupt at the slightest inbalance and spring compressors seem to range from 17.99 to over a ton so still weighing it up as spent a fortune already and still got a jacking point to get sorted so hmm.

I thought as a quick cheap fix if can find a complete front ZT shock from a donor car then wouldnt have to mess about compressing springs just so long as the pinch bolt plays along but i do like the idea of new shocks and springs on the front. The car has new springs and upper arms on the rear a few months ago and on Lincolnshire roads right now it might be advisable to do the front!

Renew auxiliary drive belt # Replace driver door lock actuator # Refurbish wheels

Last edited by Retap; 25th June 2021 at 09:52..
Retap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2021, 10:15   #13
Retap
Loves to post

MG ZT-T CDTi

Default Complete front struts no longer available.

So sat here this morning waiting for delivery of the front strut parts I could get from DMGRS who confirmed that the complete front strut assembly are no longer in stock.

This thread is useful discussion on the various strut components:
https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...d.php?t=305595

I have everything except the little plastic discs, Item 7 RNS100060 so fingers crossed they are still present and usable on the old struts otherwise it could be game over and im sure the OS strut dust cover is missing so bit worried about it.

Also realised there is wheel arch rust to address see photo below and its eating the brake bracket to. JENOLITE Rust Converter Aerosol Spray and for the pinch bolt Förch Black Magic S411 Rust Remover just in case...

Does anybody know where I might obtain the elusive RNS100060 if needed as it is out of stock everywhere i look (and highly suspect at least one will be needed).

Many thanks

Renew auxiliary drive belt # Replace driver door lock actuator # Refurbish wheels

Last edited by Retap; 1st July 2021 at 10:51..
Old 1st July 2021, 10:19   #14
Retap
Loves to post

MG ZT-T CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewJames View Post
It's a bit of a slog to compress them at home, if it's anything like doing the springs on a 75 CDT. I think I used four spring compressors. It made the springs on my Micra seem like the springs that come out pens.

Yeah i opted for the posher spring compressor as quiet fond of my eyes n hands lol, to be fair my face in general has been useful once or twice in my life to date but no more than that....

DA YUAN MacPherson Interchangable Fork Strut Coil Spring Compressor Extractor Tool Set £83.95 on 1st July 2021

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The first last i will do when it arrives later today is grease the thread before bed lol.

Last edited by Retap; 1st July 2021 at 10:45..
Old 1st July 2021, 10:55   #15
AndrewJames
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retap View Post
So sat here this morning waiting for delivery of the front strut parts I could get from DMGRS who confirmed that the complete front strut assembly are no longer in stock.

This thread is useful discussion on the various strut components:
https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...d.php?t=305595

I have everything except the little plastic discs, Item 7 RNS100060 so fingers crossed they are still present and usable on the old struts otherwise it could be game over and im sure the OS strut dust cover is missing so bit worried about it.

Also realised there is wheel arch rust to address see photo below and its eating the brake bracket to. JENOLITE Rust Converter Aerosol Spray and for the pinch bolt Förch Black Magic S411 Rust Remover just in case...

Does anybody know where I might obtain the elusive RNS100060 if needed as it is out of stock everywhere i look (and highly suspect at least one will be needed).

Many thanks
Hi,

Are we talking about the bump stop washers? I've only ever worked on one 75 but mine were made of metal, not plastic. Very brown metal lol but they cleaned up okay and were perfectly fine.
Old 1st July 2021, 11:11   #16
Retap
Loves to post

MG ZT-T CDTi

Hi,

https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-GRID001543

Item 7 washer RNS100060

ive read its a bit of plastic or a metal washer think i even found a photo of it but dont really know what it is tbh. Im sure it will soon make itself known to me when i have the first strut stripped as this is my first time to and sure it will all make sense when it comes apart. Like lego books the exploded diagram linked above is not great lol

Did yours look like this but maybe not so silver lol

Last edited by Retap; 1st July 2021 at 11:17..
Old 1st July 2021, 11:28   #17
AndrewJames
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

https://imgur.com/a/01ugUiy

I had taken a picture of it for some reason. Hope the link works
Old 1st July 2021, 11:38   #18
Retap
Loves to post

MG ZT-T CDTi

Wow thanks for that! Yeah its plenty brown as you said. I wonder if anything will be left of mine...

Seems mental these bits are no longer available new and beginning to wonder if i should have started this at all lol.

Im off to lie down for a bit to meditate and internalise Clarksons line: "I am a still small voice of calm and reason".

EDIT

Im sure you dont mind i nabbed that photo and uploaded it for prosperity for those who seek the answer lol

Item 7 is RNS100060 https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-GRID001543

Last edited by Retap; 1st July 2021 at 11:49..
Old 1st July 2021, 11:48   #19
AndrewJames
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

Haha, just take your time and be careful! If you're unsure of something take a break to reflect or ask someone for help.

Hope that doesn't sound preachy. It's just the advice I would give myself...before working myself into a mush brain frenzy.
Old 1st July 2021, 11:56   #20
Retap
Loves to post

MG ZT-T CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewJames View Post
Haha, just take your time and be careful! If you're unsure of something take a break to reflect or ask someone for help.

Hope that doesn't sound preachy. It's just the advice I would give myself...before working myself into a mush brain frenzy.
Its very wise, stressing about it is bound to end in tears. Ive found about 80% planning and 20% execution of things like this is about right lol

I used to do risk assessments in a past life lol everything will be weighed up and intend to remove the old springs nice n slow! These old springs aint going to like the compression stress to much im sure of it and surprised they havent obviously snapped due to age.

Many thanks.

EDIT

A can of special brew is going to be sourced and placed at the back of the fridge before i start lol.

Last edited by Retap; 1st July 2021 at 12:01..