Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 1st August 2021, 06:53   #11
dave lincs
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenEssex View Post
Hi sorry not selling it, I will keep it turning over and plan on finding someone mobile and local to replace the thermostat housing and replace coolant (again) before the end of the summer.

Yes it has a sunroof, an electric one. It doesn't leak but also doesn't open. Its been like this from about 18 months old when it was purchased from Palmsville Garage in North London, they couldn't seem to rectify it.

The car has done 78,000 with FSH and had new belts at 67,000.
Hi
Did you get your thermostat done? If not there must be a local member on here who could pop over and do it for you

Dave
dave lincs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2021, 07:35   #12
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

I sold my immaculate Connie 1.8SE due to a knee injury (it was a manual) and swapped it for my current 2.0 V6 Club. I saw that it failed its last test on what I would consider to be minor issues and it hasn't returned to the road.

"Repair immediately (major defects):

• Nearside Front Lower Suspension arm ball joint dust cover no longer prevents the ingress of dirt (5.3.4 (b) (ii))
  • Brake lever has insufficient reserve travel (1.1.2 (a))
  • Exhaust carbon monoxide content after 2nd fast idle exceeds default limits (8.2.1.2 (b))
  • Exhaust carbon monoxide content at idle exceeds manufacturer's specified limits (8.2.1.2 (b))
Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):

• Rear handbrake only just met min requirements
  • Coolant leak ()
  • Nearside Front Brake pipe corroded, covered in grease or other material (1.1.11 (c))
  • Offside Front Brake pipe corroded, covered in grease or other material (1.1.11 (c))
  • Nearside Rear Brake pipe corroded, covered in grease or other material (1.1.11 (c))
  • Offside Rear Brake pipe corroded, covered in grease or other material (1.1.11 (c))
  • Front both anti roll bar bushes slight play
  • Central Front Lower engine mounting to subframe deteriorated "bush"
  • Front exhaust clamp deteriorated
  • Rear exhaust clamp deteriorated"
A vehicle check with DVLA shows

"Vehicle details could not be found"

I hope that the current owner/user hasn't just scrapped it but who knows?

Last edited by roverbarmy; 1st August 2021 at 07:37..
roverbarmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2021, 07:53   #13
dave lincs
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverbarmy View Post
I sold my immaculate Connie 1.8SE due to a knee injury (it was a manual) and swapped it for my current 2.0 V6 Club. I saw that it failed its last test on what I would consider to be minor issues and it hasn't returned to the road.

"Repair immediately (major defects):

• Nearside Front Lower Suspension arm ball joint dust cover no longer prevents the ingress of dirt (5.3.4 (b) (ii))
  • Brake lever has insufficient reserve travel (1.1.2 (a))
  • Exhaust carbon monoxide content after 2nd fast idle exceeds default limits (8.2.1.2 (b))
  • Exhaust carbon monoxide content at idle exceeds manufacturer's specified limits (8.2.1.2 (b))
Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):

• Rear handbrake only just met min requirements
  • Coolant leak ()
  • Nearside Front Brake pipe corroded, covered in grease or other material (1.1.11 (c))
  • Offside Front Brake pipe corroded, covered in grease or other material (1.1.11 (c))
  • Nearside Rear Brake pipe corroded, covered in grease or other material (1.1.11 (c))
  • Offside Rear Brake pipe corroded, covered in grease or other material (1.1.11 (c))
  • Front both anti roll bar bushes slight play
  • Central Front Lower engine mounting to subframe deteriorated "bush"
  • Front exhaust clamp deteriorated
  • Rear exhaust clamp deteriorated"
A vehicle check with DVLA shows

"Vehicle details could not be found"

I hope that the current owner/user hasn't just scrapped it but who knows?
Hi
If dvla says vehicle not found then there is good chance it has been scrapped do you have a registration number for it?

Dave
Old 1st August 2021, 08:27   #14
bigblue75
older not wiser

75 Tourer

It's around two years now since the diesel auto I owned was parked up after being given a new lease of life with help and advice from the forum and a "new" ECU from BigRuss.
However, a few months later I realized the car wouldn't be used by me and would be stood idle in scottish weather for the forseeable future. I advertised the car as spares or repairs on the forum for less than scrap value but recieved little genuine interest.

It is dissapointing that the 75 wasn't saved but not all will be.
I am looking to buy a used car now and am struggling to find anything that I like that is halfway decent- The condition of most cars around 2k is not much (if any) better than the 75 I literally couldn't give away!
bigblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2021, 08:53   #15
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave lincs View Post
Hi
If dvla says vehicle not found then there is good chance it has been scrapped do you have a registration number for it?

Dave
AV05WPM was the reg No.

Old 1st August 2021, 09:09   #16
dave lincs
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverbarmy View Post
AV05WPM was the reg No.

Looks like it has been scrapped, was last for sale may 2020 for £995 then its mot fail October 2020 then nothing and a car check just now says no records or V5
Shame but that's another one gone

Dave
Old 1st August 2021, 19:48   #17
Yorkshire GOC
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 connoisseur se v6 auto

All i can say is that marvellous colour will make the car a nailed on future classic.

The Silver Machine was the 13th of 160 Rover 75's to come off the production line that day and is the 100th of 527 Starlight Silver Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto saloons listed in the build records produced world wide.
Yorkshire GOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2021, 08:26   #18
biffa75
Trader

Mk1 2004 tourer cdti + MK1 2003 Saloon CDT

Quote:
Hi sorry not selling it, I will keep it turning over and plan on finding someone mobile and local to replace the thermostat housing and replace coolant (again) before the end of the summer.

Yes it has a sunroof, an electric one. It doesn't leak but also doesn't open. Its been like this from about 18 months old when it was purchased from Palmsville Garage in North London, they couldn't seem to rectify it.

The car has done 78,000 with FSH and had new belts at 67,000.

If the thermostat is the cause of the coolant leak I would have happily done it for you had you been closer.
Don't see many in primrose yellow
Cars can deteriorate when Parked up but starting and moving them occasionally does help a little. Also lf parked up with the wheels still on the ground and your concerned about flat spots try these

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tyre-Save...-127635-2958-0

Rob
Old 3rd August 2021, 07:20   #19
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
... I ... plan on finding someone mobile and local to replace the thermostat housing
Hi Stephen,

Don't replace the thermostat housing!

Firstly, it won't be that which is leaking. It will be the 'O' ring at its base which is renewable separately at low cost.
Secondly, it appears that most replacement housings now contain an 82˚ thermostat which is incorrect for the UK market and results in low running temperatures.

If done properly, the existing housing can be removed without damage, a new 'O' ring fitted, the all-important clips on the straight pipe set correctly to prevent future leakage and the car returned to service.

Simon
Old 3rd August 2021, 07:30   #20
dave lincs
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Hi Stephen,

Don't replace the thermostat housing!

Firstly, it won't be that which is leaking. It will be the 'O' ring at its base which is renewable separately at low cost.
Secondly, it appears that most replacement housings now contain an 82˚ thermostat which is incorrect for the UK market and results in low running temperatures.

If done properly, the existing housing can be removed without damage, a new 'O' ring fitted, the all-important clips on the straight pipe set correctly to prevent future leakage and the car returned to service.

Simon
Simon

I did one of these last week and it was leaking on the seam as I've seen many times before, You should not tell people not to change it saying it will be the seals unless you or someone has physically looked at it and made a diagnosis

Surely if you are doing the job you might as well change it as you will have wasted 1.5 hours of your time when it leaks again

Dave