Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 31st August 2021, 11:19   #1
bendrick
Gets stuck in

Ex CDT Auto

Default Back sill renewal idea of costs

Hi does anyone have a rough idea of how much in their experience per back sill renewal Tom Hobbs charges please?

( I do appreciate that you are not quoting on Toms behalf and that there are differences in the amount of work required)

Just a rough idea would be fine please.
bendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2021, 11:28   #2
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

why not call and ask?

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2021, 12:16   #3
bendrick
Gets stuck in

Ex CDT Auto

I will but thought that someone who has had it done might give me a little pointer before dragging him away from his welding equipment to answer the phone.

It might also decide whether I get a plated over job locally to get through the MOT before trying to contact who I would assume is a very busy chap.

I've got a rough idea now thanks to a private message and will act accordingly.

Cheers

Last edited by bendrick; 31st August 2021 at 12:48..
Old 31st August 2021, 14:56   #4
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

I have paid as little as £250 for both rears done and up to £420 for the same job, if the rust is really bad and has eaten into the jacking points and inner sill / floor area it can be closer to £500

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 31st August 2021, 15:50   #5
bendrick
Gets stuck in

Ex CDT Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
I have paid as little as £250 for both rears done and up to £420 for the same job, if the rust is really bad and has eaten into the jacking points and inner sill / floor area it can be closer to £500

OK thanks for that I've gone for order the sills from Tom on Ebay and getting it done locally due to the logistical problems of travelling and hotels etc etc.

I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and pay what it costs come what may if there's more work than expected then so be it.
Old 31st August 2021, 21:28   #6
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendrick View Post
OK thanks for that I've gone for order the sills from Tom on Ebay and getting it done locally due to the logistical problems of travelling and hotels etc etc.

I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and pay what it costs come what may if there's more work than expected then so be it.
Hi Kevin / Andy
Are yours in a condition like these i recently saw on a local car, which i think once cut back and cleaned for welding etc will most likely cost in the region of £500

The above passed it's test in June 15/21 with Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories)

Nearside Rear Outer Vehicle structure is corroded but structural rigidity is not significantly reduced (6.1.1 (c) (i))
Offside Rear Outer Vehicle structure is corroded but structural rigidity is not significantly reduced (6.1.1 (c) (i))

Don't ask me how

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2021, 20:14   #7
bendrick
Gets stuck in

Ex CDT Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
Hi Kevin / Andy
Are yours in a condition like these i recently saw on a local car, which i think once cut back and cleaned for welding etc will most likely cost in the region of £500

The above passed it's test in June 15/21 with Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories)

Nearside Rear Outer Vehicle structure is corroded but structural rigidity is not significantly reduced (6.1.1 (c) (i))
Offside Rear Outer Vehicle structure is corroded but structural rigidity is not significantly reduced (6.1.1 (c) (i))

Don't ask me how

Don't think so. To be honest I just felt underneath and pushed, hearing and feeling the crinkling of crusty metal I did have to use a little pressure. We'll see what the total situation is when the mechanic strips out the nasty bits.

I'm expecting the replacement Tom sill sheets tomorrow and will see whats what next week presumably
Old 3rd September 2021, 20:39   #8
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

Good luck contacting Tom, ive sent 3 mails in the last 2 weeks ( this is after he couldnt fit me in last year.) and not had a reply

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2021, 21:23   #9
BillyMG
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 2.5 V6 Auto Tourer (Elizabeth) / MG ZT CDTI (Farage)

I've just put my ZT into a place in Liverpool to do the offside rear sill which you can literally pull to pieces with your fingers - not sure what happened as I just bought her (with full knowledge - negotiated on that basis) but it looks like a jack has gone through then been left to rot and spread. They will need to repair inside and out and respray. We're taking around the £400 mark. It's a classic car restoration business. Should be complete middle of next week - I'll update on how it went as it may be useful to others if they do a good job - I'm from Liverpool and visited a few firms in St Helens where I live now but gravitated back to my old stomping ground. Only time will tell if that was a good or romantic idea!
BillyMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2021, 21:41   #10
sewerman
Gets stuck in

MG ZT+ CDTi

Just to say Tom is very busy and you do have to chase him a bit , I find it best to call him he's on WhatsApp too.

Have a look at this post of my car and the horror that lies beneath https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...d.php?t=294210

Talking to Tom last time I took mine he said he prefers to have a car for 2 days to do a sill as the pics in my post are what he finds as typical when he cuts the metal away.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
sewerman is offline   Reply With Quote