Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 21st August 2021, 12:42   #11
guru
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT, Rover Sterling, MG ZS EV & BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vossy View Post
Maybe not battery burning problem but definitely a battery car problem.

My next door neighbour recently got a BMW 530E, electric range was quoted on a full charge as over 30 miles, he works in Burton and can charge the car at work so he thought that's perfect, in the real world he is achieving only 18 miles before he has to switch to petrol, the car has been back to BMW about 6 times up to yet for various electrical problems and its only two months old, he is not a happy ev owner.

LI batteries are banned from road transport where my friend works as well.

Maybe the billions being spent on replacing these batteries should have been put into R&D instead of racing to get a product out of the door before it's ready.
I don't really count PHEV's and EV's. I did have a hybrid for 3 years and it's range on the battery was very limited plus it had all the complexity of an ICE engine AND an electric power train and then the added complexity of making the 2 work together. If was easily the least reliable car I've owned and that's coming from someone who's owned many cars powered by the K series!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancpudn View Post
Yes you're right, From what I've been reading the dis-assembled pouch cells they've been inspecting from faulty battery packs show a manufacturing defect that should have been picked up in quality control. Very expensive mistake
Absolutely, which all the computing power available to test and evaluate designs there really is no excuse for things like this happening now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mileshawk56 View Post
They should all be painted in black and yellow zebra stripes so I dont park my ZT anywhere near them.Chris S.
This would give you nightmares then
Old 21st August 2021, 15:23   #12
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vossy View Post

My next door neighbour recently got a BMW 530E, electric range was quoted on a full charge as over 30 miles, he works in Burton and can charge the car at work so he thought that's perfect, in the real world he is achieving only 18 miles before he has to switch to petrol, the car has been back to BMW about 6 times up to yet for various electrical problems and its only two months old, he is not a happy ev owner.
A friend had one of these as a company car, the boss decided it would be a good idea if they all had them. Exactly the same the range was total fiction and in the end they all went back because they failed to meet to specification. One of the 8 cars would only do about 12 miles before the engine would kick in. Luckily they were on some kind if lease deal so no penalty.

He also reckoned when in petrol mode it felt underpowered and he reckoned the fuel consumption average was no better than other cars he has had even though the engine was not on all the time.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2021, 10:39   #13
Lovel
I really should get out more.......

P6B, L550, Imp, F56, Commando

Tell me that BEV is the way forward after reading this article from the beeb below. Also interesting perspective (depressing) film titled Planet of the Humans on You-tube is a complete eye opener.

For the UK alone
The UK, for instance, wants all new cars to go electric from 2030. But to switch Britain's 31.5 million petrol and diesel vehicles over to a battery-electric fleet would take an estimated 207,900 tonnes of cobalt, 264,600 tonnes of lithium carbonate, 7,200 tonnes of neodymium and dysprosium, and 2,362,500 tonnes of copper.

https://www-bbc-com.cdn.ampproject.o...t-57234610.amp
Lovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2021, 12:16   #14
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by guru View Post
I don't really count PHEV's and EV's. I did have a hybrid for 3 years and it's range on the battery was very limited plus it had all the complexity of an ICE engine AND an electric power train and then the added complexity of making the 2 work together. If was easily the least reliable car I've owned and that's coming from someone who's owned many cars powered by the K series!

Absolutely, which all the computing power available to test and evaluate designs there really is no excuse for things like this happening now.

This would give you nightmares then

PHEV's & mild hybrids are just compliance cars brought in to reduce manufacturers fleet average CO2 emissions, PHEV's have a stay of execution until 2035 but there's a caveat in that, From 2030 (Or 2025! I've been reading since the goalposts are constantly changing leading up to Glasgow COP 26 in November) only PHEV's that can cover 50 miles on electric power will be allowed.

Ditto with my Rover 75

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2021, 06:35   #15
Sonic ZS
Posted a thing or two

75 Conn CDT Tourer, 75 Conn SE V6, 75 Conn V6, 75 Conn CDTi Tourer, ZS 180

Spraying high pressure water over all those electrics.....that VW is going to have problems later down the line....
Old 1st September 2021, 09:41   #16
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

Something else going up in flames! Traditional Clutch & gearbox manufacturing jobs VW are phasing out manual gearboxes. https://www.electrive.com/2021/08/31...to-e-mobility/

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2021, 11:15   #17
coolguy
Coolguy

Rover 75 CDT Tourer Auto, Rover 75 2.0 Connoisseur Auto, MG ZT 2.5 Auto and MG ZT Cdti Auto (Monogra

Quote:
Originally Posted by mileshawk56 View Post
They should all be painted in black and yellow zebra stripes so I dont park my ZT anywhere near them.Chris S.
I don't park near anyone - unfortunately it doesn't stop the reverse happening!
coolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2021, 18:13   #18
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolguy View Post
I don't park near anyone - unfortunately it doesn't stop the reverse happening!
That's so true.--Pity this poor holidaymaker in our local Leclerc car park. ( Super-market. )

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1455.jpg (134.2 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1456.jpg (135.5 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1457.jpg (135.2 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1459.jpg (144.2 KB, 22 views)
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote