Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 7th September 2021, 21:42   #1
GIBSON

Rover 75 Saloon

Default KV6 fuel rail leak at interconnection pipe

Hi all,

So I noticed I had a petrol leak at the joint between the interconnection pipe and the fuel rail. Ordered some replacement O-rings and wanted to replace them tonight, however have run in some issues..

First of, not quite clear where the o-ring is supposed to be seated. Should it be up to the shoulder of the interconnection pipe, or positioned at the end of the connection cavity in the fuel rail?

Second of, noticed that the plastic hook on the fuel rail that is keeping the metal retaining clip in place is partly broken off. Is it essential, or only there to keep the retaining clip in place? (could be replaced with a tiewrap?)

Any advice would be highly appreciated!
GIBSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2021, 21:46   #2
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

I have seen tie wraps used to hold the metal clip in, it is not ideal though, any fuel delivery system should be 100% as there are a lot of sources of ignition around that area.

If it was me I would replace the damaged part.
Old 8th September 2021, 16:43   #3
GIBSON

Rover 75 Saloon

Well, if it's only there as a retaining function without impact on the sealing function I wouldn't worry about it. If it were however there as a sort of tensioner it would be a different aspect. But by the looks of it I would think retaining.. Would be nice if someone could confirm out of experience.
To be clear, I am talking about the one arctic is pointing at in this picture:

Any feedback on the seal? Or should I just not worry to much about it and just put the o-ring on the pipe and get it in there?
I would just think an O-ring needs some kind of support to function, hence why I was wondering about the shoulder on the pipe. But it could also be there only to keep the pipe securely in position with the clip.
When I removed the pipe one was against the shoulder (leaking one) and one was down the fuel rail cavity. So yes.. made me start thinking about it..
Old 8th September 2021, 21:11   #4
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIBSON View Post
Well, if it's only there as a retaining function without impact on the sealing function I wouldn't worry about it. If it were however there as a sort of tensioner it would be a different aspect. But by the looks of it I would think retaining.. Would be nice if someone could confirm out of experience.
To be clear, I am talking about the one arctic is pointing at in this picture:

Any feedback on the seal? Or should I just not worry to much about it and just put the o-ring on the pipe and get it in there?
I would just think an O-ring needs some kind of support to function, hence why I was wondering about the shoulder on the pipe. But it could also be there only to keep the pipe securely in position with the clip.
When I removed the pipe one was against the shoulder (leaking one) and one was down the fuel rail cavity. So yes.. made me start thinking about it..
Hi Jens.
I would say it's for retaining the fuel line.

Therefore i can not see why a cable tie through the hole under and over the metal retainer should do the same job as the plastic tag holding it down.

If you wanted to do a belt and braces fix the use two pieces of metal drill two holes in each piece and put a couple of small bolts through it, but i would think two cables ties would be enough over the clip. two cable ties should do the same job as the plastic tag, most likely better but always be careful with fuel lines.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "

Last edited by Arctic; 8th September 2021 at 21:19..
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2021, 19:42   #5
GIBSON

Rover 75 Saloon

Just as a little feedback. I did replace the seals last weekend and put two tiewraps over the metal clip. Seems to be doing the job just fine up til now.
Really looks like the plastic hook is only there to avoid the clip from working itself loose due to vibrations etc.
Thanks for the tips!