Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 14th September 2021, 17:17   #21
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:--One partial solution to this and the old battery disposal problem is to use them to store electricity in the home and use if the power goes off [or to recharge the EV??!!]

The trouble is that OLD batteries will be discarded as soon as they are practically useless.----

You'll get nowt for owt.-------------
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2021, 18:02   #22
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

I'm curious, and not because of my ignorance on the subject. What do the latest 'batteries' contain? Are they solid state with no liquid electrolyte contained in them?
Old 14th September 2021, 20:01   #23
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simondi View Post
My wife has a 40 mile round trip to work a day.
Her previous car averaged around 40mpg so she used roughly a gallon a day which works just under £6 a day in petrol.Her ZSEV uses around £1.50 of electricity a day ( as we live in Scotland the majority of this is produced from renewables). Over a month this saves us around £100 a month on fuel. The car costs us around £60 more a month on the interest free loan from Scottish Government as compared to her petrol ZS. So all in all having an electric car saves us around £480 a year ( based on a saving of £40 a month). Great news as that covers the road tax on my ZT and TF
Keep The savings handy. You will need them when something goes bottoms up with it. Wait until a sensor packs up. They ain’t £6.00 a piece.
Old 15th September 2021, 06:30   #24
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
Keep The savings handy. You will need them when something goes bottoms up with it. Wait until a sensor packs up. They ain’t £6.00 a piece.
Yes exactly and when it does fail you wont be able to fit the faulty sensor as it will need coding to the car and probably need a special tool to fit it. Many garages are refusing to work on electric cars and you can see why, with the special tools and the complexity the days of the local garage and home mechanic are coming to an end.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2021, 08:51   #25
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

The reason many garages are refusing to work on EV''s is that they have not been trained to do so. So they do not have the ability to work on such cars. This being the case it is actually best that many of them should leave the more modern cars alone.

The mechanics who have completed motor vehicle repair courses during the last few years are all trained to work on EV's.

It feels to me that there is a lot of scaremongering going on here in the same way we saw scare stories when catalysts were first fitted to cars and then later fuel injection.

Cars these days are far more reliable than they ever were.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2021, 08:53   #26
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Modern technology? More like modern robbery!
Old 15th September 2021, 14:16   #27
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Mentioned earlier the aspects of the financiers’ and money men and how they manipulate diverse situations using borrowed funds to serve their own ends. Sometimes called Usuary, it often brings together strange bedfellows with widely divergent aims and outcomes.

For example, in the money pages today is the example of Scottish energy giant SSE now coming under great pressure from a hedge fund with extensive holdings in the core business (SSE) to split its Renewables energy arm from its electricity business. It makes SSE the second FTSE 100 company in this field being targeted by the same hedge fund outfit for similar reasons.

They obviously see a great opportunity to make money out of a not very widely known, in the wider population, separation of assets.

Perhaps contributors to this thread might broaden their understanding of the real world outside the limiting nature of looking down the wrong end of the telescope. The kaleidoscope effect is somewhat different than the reality.
Old 15th September 2021, 14:23   #28
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Williams View Post
I heard that, last week, due to the overcast, still days very little wind produced electricity available and the same from solar. The normal default is to fire up some gas fuelled power stations but this is a "no no" at the moment due to gas cost [echoing domestic price rise hikes] and so the answer was fire up West Burton PS which is a coal fired plant on standby.

It's still relatively warm temperatures out there-roll this forward if we get some sub zero foggy days in winter......

One partial solution to this and the old battery disposal problem is to use them to store electricity in the home and use if the power goes off [or to recharge the EV??!!]

Happy days
A spent battery is just that, it fails to hold a significant charge and is thus useless in your proposed solution for domestic stand-by 're-purposing'.
rab60bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2021, 17:37   #29
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rab60bit View Post
A spent battery is just that, it fails to hold a significant charge and is thus useless in your proposed solution for domestic stand-by 're-purposing'.

That is not correct. A 'spent battery' in EV terms would be one whose range, and therefore usable capacity, has diminished by 30% to 50% of the original value. With the remaining 50% to 70%, the battery would still be able to store a relatively large amount of charge per unit of occupied volume. This is because EV's by their very nature are equipped with high charge density per-unit volume batteries.

So Kevin Williams is absolutely correct in what he says and there have been proposals to do exactly what he says.
Old 15th September 2021, 17:43   #30
MSS
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraymond View Post
Mentioned earlier the aspects of the financiers’ and money men and how they manipulate diverse situations using borrowed funds to serve their own ends. Sometimes called Usuary, it often brings together strange bedfellows with widely divergent aims and outcomes.

For example, in the money pages today is the example of Scottish energy giant SSE now coming under great pressure from a hedge fund with extensive holdings in the core business (SSE) to split its Renewables energy arm from its electricity business. It makes SSE the second FTSE 100 company in this field being targeted by the same hedge fund outfit for similar reasons.

They obviously see a great opportunity to make money out of a not very widely known, in the wider population, separation of assets.

Perhaps contributors to this thread might broaden their understanding of the real world outside the limiting nature of looking down the wrong end of the telescope. The kaleidoscope effect is somewhat different than the reality.

This way of 'releasing hidden share value through asset separation' has been widely known and implemented in all industries since the eighties. Example - O2 was Cellnet and part of BT before being separated off to become a legal/operational entity in its own right and then later purchased by Telefonica. There are many financial firms specializing in the field of asset separation.