Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 25th September 2021, 16:50   #1
Saga Lout
This is my second home

MG ZT and Rover 75,

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,037 Posts
Default These people live among us.

I got called out to a 5 series BMW with brake failure, it has to be said I'm not easily shocked but I was with this job. The car belongs to my nephew and he's much like my sister who lives way beyond her means, if you gave her £10 she'd promptly spend it on rubbish but, she likes people to think she's quite grand in her Audi convertible, Fur coat etc and she's always been the same. This grandstanding has rubbed off onto her children, nice car but a lack of brain cells when it comes to maintaining it. I don't know how many weeks it was making an awful noise before it failed but, I do know he's lucky that he was turning into a car park at low speed when it failed. The problem is that there are many out there who are just as brain dead with less intelligence than an Amoeba, what possesses them to carry on driving a car that's obviously got a serious fault? In this case, the remains of the pad fell out and the piston pushed out with a loss of the fluid in an instant. This idiot is 32 years old for goodness sake and shouldn't be allowed near anything that could kill him and many others, I've made my feelings known about this level of stupidity, a car of that size is a deadly weapon with no brakes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210905_104617.jpg (111.9 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg 20210905_104643.jpg (117.5 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg 20210905_104654.jpg (102.8 KB, 95 views)
Saga Lout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2021, 18:13   #2
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Thanked 1,579 Times in 968 Posts

That's what the (ludicrously long time) service is for isn't it? .

And most absolutely trust the dealer to sort it out while expecting to pay peanuts or better still nothing for their time, expertise and efforts.

And the more these machines capable of maiming and killing become seen as disposable white goods the worse this will get.

In a slight nod to them if no one has ever told the current crop of drivers what a serious fault might look/sound/feel like how are they supposed to know?

And after all that I'm in total agreement with you that idiots shouldn't be allowed to drive what amounts to lethal weapons.

http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2021, 18:46   #3
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saga Lout View Post
................ my sister who lives way beyond her means, if you gave her £10 she'd promptly spend it on rubbish but, she likes people to think she's quite grand in her Audi convertible, Fur coat etc and she's always been the same. T..............

Ah, the Audi convertible and fur coat look.

I cant's get too excited about the BMW but the image you have created of the lady is making me feel all lovey-dovey.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2021, 19:15   #4
YHT
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

Fur coat and no ????
YHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2021, 19:17   #5
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saga Lout View Post
I got called out to a 5 series BMW with brake failure, it has to be said I'm not easily shocked but I was with this job. The car belongs to my nephew and he's much like my sister who lives way beyond her means, if you gave her £10 she'd promptly spend it on rubbish but, she likes people to think she's quite grand in her Audi convertible, Fur coat etc and she's always been the same. This grandstanding has rubbed off onto her children, nice car but a lack of brain cells when it comes to maintaining it. I don't know how many weeks it was making an awful noise before it failed but, I do know he's lucky that he was turning into a car park at low speed when it failed. The problem is that there are many out there who are just as brain dead with less intelligence than an Amoeba, what possesses them to carry on driving a car that's obviously got a serious fault? In this case, the remains of the pad fell out and the piston pushed out with a loss of the fluid in an instant. This idiot is 32 years old for goodness sake and shouldn't be allowed near anything that could kill him and many others, I've made my feelings known about this level of stupidity, a car of that size is a deadly weapon with no brakes.
How was that not.picked up on an mot? That disc surely could not have got that lop sided in less than a year

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2021, 20:21   #6
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
How was that not.picked up on an mot? That disc surely could not have got that lop sided in less than a year

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk
MOT ????????????????

For a good few folk it's ---What's that ???
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2021, 20:44   #7
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

These crazily long service intervals manufacturers give there cars is causing so many problems. One I have heard of recently was on some Petrol Peugeot and Citroen engines once they have done 36k miles or so there oil consumption is a lot more than drivers these days are used too, the owners think the oil can symbol warning light means they need to top it up and after a few miles there engines are scrap.

A mechanic friend has a 307CC in at the moment with this very problem and he cant find a decent engine anywhere, the chances are the car will go for scrap and it only has 40k on the clock.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2021, 15:42   #8
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
These crazily long service intervals manufacturers give their cars is causing so many problems. One I have heard of recently was on some Petrol Peugeot and Citroen engines once they have done 36k miles or so their oil consumption is a lot more than drivers these days are used to. The owners think the oil can symbol warning light means they need to top it up and after a few miles their engines are scrap.

A mechanic friend has a 307CC in at the moment with this very problem and he can't find a decent engine anywhere, the chances are the car will go for scrap and it only has 40k on the clock.
It's the owners fault. Nearly all those engines have a dip stick.--( That includes the owner too.-- )

( Thanks. SCP440. )

Last edited by COLVERT; 29th September 2021 at 19:32..
Old 28th September 2021, 17:46   #9
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
It's the owners fault. All those engines have a dip stick.--( That includes the owner too.-- )
Actually they dont, there are a lot of cars that have been produced over the last few years that rely on a sensor to tell the driver if the level is low and we all know what can happen to a sensor.
Mercedes, BMW, Audi, and some Fords come immediately to mind and I think some Peugeots but I might be wrong on that.

A BMW that would tell the owner he was low on oil so he topped it up, it did the same even after 3 litres of oil so he ignored it. 6 months later the oil pressure warning light came on while he was doing 70mph and the engine was toast. This particular car had been main dealer serviced from new and was not due a service for another 8k miles.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2021, 22:44   #10
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
Actually they don't, there are a lot of cars that have been produced over the last few years that rely on a sensor to tell the driver if the level is low and we all know what can happen to a sensor.
Mercedes, BMW, Audi, and some Fords come immediately to mind and I think some Peugeots but I might be wrong on that.

A BMW that would tell the owner he was low on oil so he topped it up, it did the same even after 3 litres of oil so he ignored it. 6 months later the oil pressure warning light came on while he was doing 70mph and the engine was toast. This particular car had been main dealer serviced from new and was not due a service for another 8k miles.
Well what do you expect from a BMW owner.----