Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 1st January 2016, 11:17   #1
Sebastienclement
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE

Default Little tip...

I drive my 75 day in day out mostly just commuting to and from work. It's a lovely place to be but sometimes I find myself thinking I might like something a bit more modern and up to date.

Over Christmas I ended up hiring a couple of cars due to a work trip before Christmas and it wasn't convenient to return the car then pick my own car up to travel home, so my company hired me 2 cars in succession to see me from Mid December until yesterday. The first was a Vauxhall Meriva. The second was a Skoda Superb.

Both cars were very competent, not surprisingly the Skoda was a much nicer place to be than the Meriva and suited motorway motoring much better. Both cars were kitted up to the hilt with sat nav, blue tooth, reversing cameras, front parking sensors etc... etc... I did actually enjoy living with the Skoda, but I couldn't put up with the Meriva long term.

Anyway... Yesterday I got back in my 75 for the first time in a couple of weeks and WOW. It's a proper car. It feels so substantial in comparison to even the Skoda (a larger car). It's comfier, rides smoother, and drives much nicer.

If you want to know how good your Rover is - go drive a 'modern' for a while!
Sebastienclement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2016, 11:21   #2
mcd840
Gets stuck in

Nissan NV300 Tekna 170 auto

I think maybe I need to have a go in a modern car and realise how good my 75 is regardless of its little niggles!
mcd840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2016, 11:39   #3
aguy
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE 2.5 V6

I agree, modern cars have no soul in comparison to ours.

That is of course if it's okay to refer to a car as having a soul.!!!

I love driving mine.
Old 1st January 2016, 11:42   #4
Heddy
This is my second home

None

Thanked 1,161 Times in 924 Posts

I do appreciate the drive in my 75, saying that, I would love to have a go in an auto. I may just be tempted to swap
Heddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2016, 13:25   #5
chrishumphries
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 connoisseur CDTI TOUR & ZTT+ CDTi Tourer - both in rare starlight silver

Due to a change in jobs I sold my ZTT and bought a Nissan X Trail Aventura 2.2 diesel (top spec )Whilst I really didnt like the harshness of the Zed compared to my old 75 Connie, they are both far superior to the X Trail. The X Trail handles like a drunken space hopper,does 27mpg and is totally soulless despite the leather interior and bells and whistles. The 75 interior is a much nicer place to be and as I have had another change in jobs I can't wait to get back in one !
chrishumphries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2016, 13:30   #6
Huey
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Club SE CDT Tourer

Wouldn't swap my 75 for a modern car. Love the interior, love driving it, love cleaning and polishing it and always have to look back at it after I have parked it up. Wish I'd bought one years ago. I even enjoy driving to the dentist now!

Huey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2016, 13:43   #7
190SETOURING
Posted a thing or two

MG ZTT 180se,MG ZT 260se Monogram

Back in march i purchased a new Mercedes c220 amg sport diesel. Dont get me wrong its a brilliant car, quiet, excellent performance and mpg BUT the build quality is poor. Creeky seat and dash, very thin metal on the panels. I cant see it lasting as long as an MGR car for sure and at £33k it aint cheap! I wont buy another for sure. I hope i can keep my zeds going long into the future.
190SETOURING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2016, 14:07   #8
aguy
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE 2.5 V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heddy View Post
I do appreciate the drive in my 75, saying that, I would love to have a go in an auto. I may just be tempted to swap
You know it makes sense.
Old 1st January 2016, 14:07   #9
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

During the last few days, I had to drive my sister around and excused the fact that this Rover 75 1.8 saloon is the standby whilst I do open heart surgery on my tourer. She sat there saying "what a really lovely car", I know what she means.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2016, 14:37   #10
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

I agree, these cars are very luxurious, but they are heavy and not the easiest car to drive.

Some cars just drive themselves, other cars need work. I find the seating position is very low down, and the 'A' pillar doesn't help.

These cars our alot lower than most in their class, and I'm sure can cause some owners problems getting in and out, especially if your mobility isn't great. I'm still young and in pretty good shape, but I still find getting in and out of these cars awkward (basically you fall in them, and you gotta climb out), unless your 5ft nothing...

Dont get me wrong, I adore my ZT, and the 75's. But! I have driven many cars that are alot easier, and just as luxurious, but none of them put a smile on my face like the ZT & 75's do.
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote