Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 14th February 2017, 00:53   #1
Abott10

Thanked 1,917 Times in 1,328 Posts
Question Xenons, Projectors and Headlamps with Washer Jets definitions.

What's the guidelines here? New learning curve so please bear with me.

My fast becoming my favourite daily driver MG ZT-T 1.8t ( now the heater output is as good as my ZS and 620ti this cold weather ) has Headlamp Washer Jets. Although it had a few months to run on its current MoT when purchased, I paid £25 for a "dummy" MoT as a way of checking and getting to know the car better. Money well spent on any unknown quantity which lets face it, any used car bought has that unknown quality for the new owner irrespective of any Invoices, History or what the vendor or previous owner tells you.

It "failed" on inoperative Headlamp washers. Since fixed and since passed MoT so lives on another twelve months.

Two of my ZTs have Headlamp Washers, these two a MK 1 and MK2, the others do not. All look same to me though except for the wording inside the MK1 lens assembly

I'm confused. What's the definitive criteria here. They all look much the same to me except for an additional electrical gizmo behind each assembly on those with washers.

So Xenons, projectors ... all look same to me.

Last edited by Abott10; 14th February 2017 at 00:56..
Abott10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2017, 01:21   #2
Jakg
This is my second home

N/A

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=108189
Jakg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2017, 05:22   #3
T16
I really should get out more.......

ZT CDTi 135, ZT260SE

Not all Xenons have "xenon Technology" written in the lens. However, all Xenons have the ballast on the back of the headlight unit, so easy to check.

In addition, xenons are pretty obvious, generally if you have to ask, you probably dont have them.

I wouldnt even drive a ZT without Xenons, they are crucial.
T16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2017, 11:02   #4
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Projector headlamps (those with a 'bullseye' lens) come in two flavours. Those using ordinary filament bulbs (like headlamps had always used) and those using high energy discharge burners (HIDs). HIDs contain xenon gas, so MGR called them 'Xenons'. It's become meaningless over the years as almost everything now contains xenon gas. The criterion is HID.

Factory fitted HID headlamps come with washers and suspension levelling by default. The MOT requires any such devices to be fully functional if they can be tested. Washers are tested but levelling will only be checked visually. If it looks OK it will be assumed to work.

The MOT states these systems are tested 'when present' because you can't test something that isn't there. It's unclear whether OEM HID lamps will pass if the self-levelling sensors or the washers are removed. Conversely, we know that cars fitted with HIDs by the owner will pass MOT without washers/levelling being fitted as well.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote