Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 29th August 2017, 21:32   #1
Abott10

Thanked 1,917 Times in 1,328 Posts
Default Probably the most difficult to access 8mm Bolt in the known Universe.

Once it stopped raining, spent a couple of leisurely hours making further progress reassembling the Cylinder Head on my favourite MG ZT-T 1.8T following Head Gasket renewal.

After fitting the new Timing Belt, the lower Timing Belt Cover needed three 8mm bolts top secure it to the lower crankcase. Two bolts are readily assessable whilst a third is covered comprehensively by the Power Steering Pump Polyvee Drive Belt Tensioner. Even with my special tool to hold that Tensioner out of the way against its powerful spring ( actually a strong four inch nail cut down ), replacing that deep set third 8mm bolt is no easy task. Difficult to remove ~ in previous ownership it had been removed but, not replaced during what I suspect was Water Pump renewal. That Pump looked shiny brand new still and I broke a golden rule of mine, not to replace that this time. I have done over 2000 miles in this car since I bought it and coolant level has been reliably stable. I may regret that later but ...

So I now have a new spare K-series Water Pump. That will come in handy sometime. They always do.

The attached images show what was involved. Once the three 8mm bolts were in place, I fitted the CRANKshaft Belt Drive Pulley. I then moved onto fitting the Exhaust Manifold using the Allen key drive manifold Studs which I always fit to my own and the family's cars when the opportunity to do so arises. Must have fitted a dozen of these Stud sets now over the years. So convenient.

The final two images show the cut off nail and its use in the Tensioner holding it clear of the limited work space to access that pesky 8mm bolt.
Abott10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2017, 21:43   #2
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

The last time I did that job, I bought an extended, angled ratchet spanner, specifically for that job. It's hanging in the garage and hopefully, I should never need to use it. I'll see if I can get a pic tomorrow.
Old 30th August 2017, 06:58   #3
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

I always remove one of the M8 fixing bolts and slacken the other holding the tensioner so it can be pivoted out of the way when removing or replacing the M6 bolt securing the lower timing cover.

Saves loads of swearing, and the risk of running the M6 bolt into the oil pump housing cross threaded

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2017, 18:54   #4
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

My angled ratchet spanners for awkward spots. I had several sizes but can only find this one at the moment.
https://imgur.com/gs6H6G1
Mike
Old 20th April 2020, 12:12   #5
ashy90
Avid contributor

MG ZT 160 V6

I know its an old thread, but you or others might find it useful.

To gain access to that pesky 8mm bolt securing the plastic timing belt cover, I realised you just need to remove one of the tensioner body bolts (10mm?) and slacken the other one, then the tensioner just swings down out of the way of that pesky 8mm. Pin the tensioner like you have done to access one of the bolts.

Last edited by ashy90; 20th April 2020 at 12:29..
ashy90 is offline   Reply With Quote