Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 24th September 2017, 21:34   #1
Abott10

Thanked 1,917 Times in 1,328 Posts
Question Historic fault code 1232 ~ question

My code reference shows this for code 1232 :~

FUEL PUMP SPEED PRIMARY CIRCUIT MALFUNCTION.

My Red 54-Reg MG ZT-T 1.8T bought with a near basket case engine was the one I fitted a low mileage MG6 engine Transplant. Took it for a long run, about 150 mile round trip a few weeks back and at Motorway speeds sudden loss of all power and coasted to a near stop when the engine would start performing again. That happened twice on that run at fast Motorway speeds and on other roads no more trouble and arrived safely home.

Although hesitant to start sometimes, it was fine once warmed up. Parked it in a supermarket car park a mile from home and got a bit of shopping. No way would that car start at all and so walked home to get a few tools. Put a small quantity of 95 RON into the Inlet manifold and that usually does the trick to get it running immediately and reliably but not this time. Got my younger son to act as Pilot and towed the non-starter home.

Decided to check the car today and with a strong battery plus a quick squirt of 95 RON into the Inlet Manifold via the Brake Servo Vacuum Hose location, again immediate start and soon running nicely.

This car also had it's in-tank gubbins disturbed by the previous owner to drain several gallons of fuel when he had given up on the car. He was unable to put it all back together but, I did and the car became usable with the MG6 Engine.

Today I used my T-300 Programmer to check the fault codes. There were three HISTORIC CODES :~

P 0106 ... P 0113 and the most relevant :~

1232 FUEL PUMP SPEED PRIMARY CIRCUIT MALFUNCTION.

With the above in mind I carefully removed the In-Tank Fuel Pump Assembly from my SORN Spare 1.8T and plan to replace the suspect possibly faulty Fuel Pump with this one.

Before doing so, I will need to drain at least most of the nearly full fuel tank or work with all that fuel still in there. Not ideal.

So, does HISTORIC Code 1232 mean that actual performance of the Fuel Pump Motor deep within Fuel Pump assembly is malfunctioning or its electrical circuit? Curiosity means I will change the whole assembly anyway. I had already fitted the Orange Clip to the In-Tank Fuel Filter at the time of fitting the MG6 engine.

I believe those historic CODES relate to the original 1.8T engine in the car in previous ownership. I drove the MG6 the replacement engine came from so know that is a genuine low mileage example.

Any thoughts on this question particularly from those with more experience of these things will be greatly appreciated.

Maybe I shall just swap the In-Tank Fuel Pump anyway. It may provide a definitive answer ... one way or another. The thought of having to drain all that fuel first is a daunting one. I shall top up most of the family fleet with the excess..
Abott10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2017, 21:45   #2
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Not having any experience with the MG6 engine, have a look at the fuel pressure regulator to see if they are rated the same.
Old 24th September 2017, 21:49   #3
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts
Default P1232 mems 3

RAVE's description of P1232 is "fuel pump relay circuit high" nominating the fuel pump relay as the culprit.

Simon

Last edited by SD1too; 24th September 2017 at 21:53..
SD1too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2017, 17:42   #4
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

I must admit that I did not believe that the relay would be the problem. I have loads of them in my SD1 (owned for 29 years) and they're all the originals! Still, with car maintenance, there's always a first time for everything isn't there John. Leave no stone unturned eh?

Simon