Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 6th June 2018, 19:16   #1
Raspberrycai
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon, Merc 190E 1.8, '91 Yamaha SR125

Default How long can I drive for with a broken cooling fan?

Hi,

This weekend, we're going away to the Lake District for a few days, and I'm thinking of taking the rover. The only problem is that my front cooling fan isn't working (I know its a very common problem.) I can't get it fixed before this weekend and the rover is the only car we can take.

I'm travelling about 70 miles, mainly on the motorway, so I'd like to know whether or not I could safely complete the journey without risking damage to the engine. I've been using the car for the past month or so with a broken fan but usually for 20 minutes at a time or less. The temperature gauge has never gone above the middle.

Also, I knew the cooling fan was broken when I bought the car, but when I took it on the motorway today for the second time, the check engine light came on even though everything runs fine. I'm getting an OBD2 code reader tomorrow anyway to find what it is, but do you reckon that's also due to the fan?

If it helps, I've got the 2.0L CDTI Diesel, automatic, if you need anything else just ask.

Cheers for the help.
Raspberrycai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2018, 19:24   #2
Yorkshire GOC
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 connoisseur se v6 auto

Hi,

The TEMP gauge is useless - you can be anywhere from 75 to 115 degrees at the 9 o'clock reading. Firstly make sure your coolant level is fine then engage the onboard diagnostic "19/7" - this allows you to see a real time temp reading for your engine as you are driving along.

See link below for instructions to operate the car's inbuilt diagnostics and to set the temperature reading .

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...38&postcount=1

The Silver Machine was the 13th of 160 Rover 75's to come off the production line that day and is the 100th of 527 Starlight Silver Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto saloons listed in the build records produced world wide.
Yorkshire GOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2018, 19:28   #3
Yorkshire GOC
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 connoisseur se v6 auto

I would have thought in motorway conditions you should on a diesel display an engine temp of 84-88 - however as i dont drive an oil burner others will no doubt come on and advise what the temp should look like - basically dont let the Temp go over 105.

The Silver Machine was the 13th of 160 Rover 75's to come off the production line that day and is the 100th of 527 Starlight Silver Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto saloons listed in the build records produced world wide.
Yorkshire GOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2018, 19:42   #4
myfirstrover
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.0 cdi

I changed the resistor on my diesel auto and now have a fully working fan , only thing is I've never heard the fan kick in under any driving conditions , diesels do run cooler than petrols , I really wouldn't worry about it unless you use the aircon a lot , as that can increase the load on the system .
myfirstrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2018, 19:43   #5
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

I personally would not do that run but if you must, this may be a myth I don't know but turn your heater on to hot and fan on. This is, if not a myth a way to help keep coolant tempt down

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2018, 19:49   #6
smallheathlad
Loves to post

No more aRover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspberrycai View Post
Hi,

This weekend, we're going away to the Lake District for a few days, and I'm thinking of taking the rover. The only problem is that my front cooling fan isn't working (I know its a very common problem.) I can't get it fixed before this weekend and the rover is the only car we can take.

I'm travelling about 70 miles, mainly on the motorway, so I'd like to know whether or not I could safely complete the journey without risking damage to the engine. I've been using the car for the past month or so with a broken fan but usually for 20 minutes at a time or less. The temperature gauge has never gone above the middle.

Also, I knew the cooling fan was broken when I bought the car, but when I took it on the motorway today for the second time, the check engine light came on even though everything runs fine. I'm getting an OBD2 code reader tomorrow anyway to find what it is, but do you reckon that's also due to the fan?

If it helps, I've got the 2.0L CDTI Diesel, automatic, if you need anything else just ask.

Cheers for the help.
In moving traffic you will be fine, the only danger area might be slow moving traffic or traffic jams.

However diesels run cooler than petrol ones. My diesel never gets above 89c that includes motorway runs then stuck in Motorway traffic jams. I would’ve more concerned about the engine check light.
Hope you can get that sorted soon.
smallheathlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2018, 19:52   #7
Daveluck
Gets stuck in

75 saloon 2.0 diesel

Unless you have a blockage, no cooling flow, towing a caravan / trailer, driving up some big long steep inclines it is unlikely that you'll have any overheat issues with the diesel not running the fan.

Use the diagnostic mode on the ipk as mentioned above to keep an eye on it but unless your doing any of the above or no coolant flow you'll be alright.

I was driving mine for a good few weeks when I first bought the car before realising my fan was not functioning as it should. God knows how long it had been duff.
Daveluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2018, 20:10   #8
Raspberrycai
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon, Merc 190E 1.8, '91 Yamaha SR125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkshire GOC View Post
I would have thought in motorway conditions you should on a diesel display an engine temp of 84-88 - however as i dont drive an oil burner others will no doubt come on and advise what the temp should look like - basically dont let the Temp go over 105.

Cheers, the diagnostics thing is much more accurate than the dial, and means I can easily check the temp and pull over if needs be. Wonder why some functions in the diagnostics menu which would be very useful to the average driver are hidden though, like fuel consumption? Either way, now I feel much better about making the trip without overheating. Cheers again.
Raspberrycai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2018, 20:11   #9
Mickyboy
SERVICING AND DEALER DIAGNOSTICS

MG ZT CDTI 135 + & MGZT CDTI AUTO 160 & ROVER 75 TOURER CDTI 160 TROPHY YELLOW

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,141 Posts

You will be fine as long as you don’t keep the engine running in a long tailback on the motorway with the engine running, pop the heating to HI if you sit anywhere for a while.

I recently worked on a customers car that had no fan working for over a year, he had no trouble Dont use air con when stationary tho, avoid using it if possible
Your be fine
Mick
Jobs done : new UBP, Spy hole mod, Rear hub(wheel bearing),plenum cleaned and emptied, Inline thermostat fitted,Full service, In car Digital tv/DVD Bluetooth Satnav etc, Replaced UBP, Restored headlights,Fixed airbag connection.replaced HP pump,replaced rear light seals,changed intercooler O rings.

Jobs to do: ,replace drivers lock,.
[/SIZE]
Mickyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2018, 20:19   #10
Ian G
This is my second home

Small

Thanked 2,991 Times in 1,431 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickyboy View Post
You will be fine as long as you don’t keep the engine running in a long tailback on the motorway with the engine running, pop the heating to HI if you sit anywhere for a while.

I recently worked on a customers car that had no fan working for over a year, he had no trouble Dont use air con when stationary tho, avoid using it if possible
Your be fine
Mick
Yes as Micky says you will be fine. I drove from Weymouth to Preston and back in a CDTi with no fan without any issues at all and that included some stop start on the M5 around Birmingham.
Cheers Ian
Ian G is offline   Reply With Quote