Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 7th June 2018, 14:50   #1
Ian G
This is my second home

Small

Thanked 2,991 Times in 1,431 Posts
Default Another one bites the dust

Bumped into a Rover owner that I've chatted with a few times in ALDI this afternoon (nice T plate damson 75 saloon with less than 70k that he has owned since it was a year old) asked how the car was going only to be told it had been scrapped. Oh dear says I what was wrong with it? Nothing came the reply but I got 3k scrappage on a new Hyundai that will probably last me for as long as I want to keep driving.
Apparently many cars that are Euro 1-2 or 3 emmissions are now being scrapped because the resale value is so low and some dealers will only accept Euro 4 or above as trade ins anything else goes to the scrappage scheme.

Cheers Ian

Last edited by Ian G; 7th June 2018 at 14:53..
Ian G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2018, 15:12   #2
The Rovering Member
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 saloon

If the London ULEZ extension comes in as is being planned then no 75 will be exempt from the daily charge. So expect a lot more to be scrapped in the coming years, especially if scrappage schemes are offered on new cars.

https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s....php?p=2387078

The Rovering Member is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2018, 15:24   #3
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Paint me sceptical on the dealer 'scrappage' scheme - check the status of the vehicle in a couple of months time by registration - I won't be unsurpised if 'scrappage' = trade-in and the 75 has been sold on to a new owner.

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2018, 17:47   #4
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

I got the impression from a car dealer this week that cars had to be scrapped if taken via the scrapage scheme, is this not true?

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2018, 17:53   #5
Nantwich 75
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

I think that was just for the HMG scheme.
Nantwich 75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2018, 18:27   #6
Ian G
This is my second home

Small

Thanked 2,991 Times in 1,431 Posts

Just had a look at Hyundai's web page and this is what they say re scrappage..

"Hyundai Scrappage and Emission Reduction Scheme
We’re taking older less efficient cars off the road while making a new Hyundai even more affordable. If you own a car which was registered before 1st January 2011, you could trade it in and save between £1,500 and £5,000 off a new Hyundai*. Including £2,000 off our innovative IONIQ Hybrid model.

How does it work?
Your car will be eligible if it was registered before 1st January 2011 and you have owned it for more than 90 days. The most polluting cars, those with Euro 1-3 emissions standard, will be scrapped and completely removed from UK roads, those that are Euro 4-5 can be traded in.
"

Cheers Ian
Ian G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2018, 19:33   #7
zedhed
Posted a thing or two

zt saloon turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G View Post

We’re taking older less efficient cars off the road while making a new Hyundai even more affordable. If you own a car which was registered before 1st January 2011, you could trade it in and save between £1,500 and £5,000 off a new Hyundai*. Including £2,000 off our innovative IONIQ Hybrid model.

How does it work?
Your car will be eligible if it was registered before 1st January 2011 and you have owned it for more than 90 days. The most polluting cars, those with Euro 1-3 emissions standard, will be scrapped and completely removed from UK roads, those that are Euro 4-5 can be traded in.
"

Cheers Ian
Load of b******s.they have already put the price on the new car before hand anyway.

Sent from my LG-M160 using Tapatalk
zedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2018, 19:38   #8
Mickyboy
SERVICING AND DEALER DIAGNOSTICS

MG ZT CDTI 135 + & MGZT CDTI AUTO 160 & ROVER 75 TOURER CDTI 160 TROPHY YELLOW

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G View Post

How does it work?
"

Cheers Ian
This type of scheme will destroy our used spares supplies I’m afraid, my accountant has already had her say, and told me off for keep buying in MG Rovers, safe to say I told her that when accountants get involved, things go wrong, I do however understand her point that scappage schemes will be favourarable to some owners and hence less 75 & ZT owners

Such a shame, and I say that as a enthusiast not a trader.
Mick
Jobs done : new UBP, Spy hole mod, Rear hub(wheel bearing),plenum cleaned and emptied, Inline thermostat fitted,Full service, In car Digital tv/DVD Bluetooth Satnav etc, Replaced UBP, Restored headlights,Fixed airbag connection.replaced HP pump,replaced rear light seals,changed intercooler O rings.

Jobs to do: ,replace drivers lock,.
[/SIZE]
Mickyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2018, 20:33   #9
coolguy
Coolguy

Rover 75 CDT Tourer Auto, Rover 75 2.0 Connoisseur Auto, MG ZT 2.5 Auto and MG ZT Cdti Auto (Monogra

I have never understood why people are stupid enough to pay thousands extra to update any car for more economy - the economics simply do not justify it, and just think of all the energy and materials going into producing the new vehicle. Green, my foot!
coolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2018, 20:49   #10
victorgte
I really should get out more.......

MGTF, MGZT, Range Rover

There is no scrappage scheme being offered by any manufacturer or dealership. They are simply giving the same discount on the list price that you would get anyway without a car to part ex.
If the Government steps in anytime soon with another scrappage scheme, no doubt the list prices will all suddenly rise.
I agree, nice cars will suddenly reappear on the road with new owners.
I put car dealers and estate agents in the same bucket of muck. The list is longer but I’ll keep that to myself.