Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 14th September 2018, 09:17   #1
Abott10

Thanked 1,917 Times in 1,328 Posts
Default Hands up those who think our old MGs and Rovers are expensive to run.

Mine cost peanuts in comparison to what other folks pay for their more highly regarded cars.

Some of the prices involved here for headlights etc on modern cars are eye watering:~

Horrendously expensive impact on finances .. Five figure repair bills not rare by any means.
Abott10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2018, 09:26   #2
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Equally, you can also buy an Omega 2.5/2.6 or 3.0/3.2 V6 and find that most parts cost around half compared with our cars. I have one and it is a very well put together car.

I don't think we can compare our cars to an E63 or a BMW 6 series, so not sure why the 5-figure repair bills would be relevant.

People pay what they wish to pay - it is their choice.

MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2018, 09:32   #3
Teflon
This is my second home

Lagoon 2.0 V6 75 Conn SE Saloon

Thanked 2,920 Times in 1,570 Posts

My wife has a new (or at least it was a year or so back) Hyundai i20. A lovely little car that's a delight to drive. Tax is £30, insurance nice and cheap, MPG waayy better than the V6 '75 and it has a comprehensive warranty.

Comparing day to day costs, the Rover is far more expensive to run, however, add in depreciation costs and it's a very different story . Love my Rover!

Cliff

No. 4 of 6
Teflon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2018, 10:54   #4
RobSun
Gets stuck in

MGZTT

Yes I find them more expensive to run than comparable cars. I don't think you can compare one against a modern small hatchback that's got to be cheaper day to day but in my experience running a 10 year old Volvo is much cheaper that an MGR.

Far more reliable to run, (never let me down unlike MGR) better parts availability manufactured to higher qualities and good prices make it cheaper for a start. Better build quality of the car makes things underneath less prone to rust and Big Russ says his is far easier to work on making maintenance easier and quicker, so less labour costs if you don't DIY repairs.

Fuel insurance costs and Tax on a par or a little higher but not enough to be significant.

Driver appeal, in my opinion not as good, it does everything well, smooth, comfortable, handles, practical, but just hasn't got that something, hasn't got the soul. However that said for everyday transport its the Volvo for me and MG Rover a weekend low use car now.
RobSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2018, 13:05   #5
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teflon View Post
My wife has a new (or at least it was a year or so back) Hyundai i20. A lovely little car that's a delight to drive. Tax is £30, insurance nice and cheap, MPG waayy better than the V6 '75 and it has a comprehensive warranty.

Comparing day to day costs, the Rover is far more expensive to run, however, add in depreciation costs and it's a very different story . Love my Rover!

Cliff
The i20 is a fantastic car. I don’t even think about depreciation with new cars, I buy a car that I like and don’t worry about it’s worth once Ive finished with it. All cars depreciate, none more so than the 75 and zed range when new..

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2018, 13:33   #6
steve-45
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

Thanked 1,089 Times in 774 Posts

The only thing I find expensive is insurance, far more than I’ve ever paid including a Lotus and a Matra.
steve-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2018, 13:34   #7
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

I don't consider my car expensive to run. Wife has a Ford Focus, all mod cons, cheaper to tax but I get little or no pleasure from the car, cost more the 150 % the price of my war.
I have an old car and I expect things to fail as I do any make of old car. Being able to carry out a lot of repairs "myself" also helps keep running costs down.
Road tax for a diesel, more then I like but I needed a tow car.

If you spend £300 a year on maintenance that's only £3000 in to years. Buy a new family car today, spend nothing on maintenance and it 10 years you will have lost more then 3k. In fact even buying 2nd hand and 5 year's old I suspect you will loose more then 3k.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2018, 13:44   #8
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool

It cost me £90 to get my V8 ZTT through it's MOT this year.

onen hag oll
FLYING BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2018, 15:16   #9
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA View Post
It cost me £90 to get my V8 ZTT through it's MOT this year.

On most other V8's, the dealer would just round the numbers up to the nearest £100o as he would consider it not worthwhile worrying about small change!
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2018, 16:52   #10
Heddy
This is my second home

None

Thanked 1,161 Times in 924 Posts

Always had the diesel version of the 75 and found them really cheap to run. Never had to pay for a clutch but had a couple of slaves fitted, even then it was just £150 labour (gearboxes are heavy) They're only cheap to run probably because of the club, diagnosis is free, so is the info for getting/fitting the parts, even the parts themselves are reasonable through our traders.
Heddy is offline   Reply With Quote