Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 23rd June 2021, 11:02   #1
ErikM

Rover 75 Saloon

Question Rover75 2.0 V6 front drop links

Hi

I got a few questions about front drop links. About a year ago I went to a mechanic, who stated that front right side drop links should be changed. Then I left my car standing for a year (due to some unseen circumstances) and today I jacked it up to check on those drop links.

I pulled on them to see if there is any play there and also used a prybar, but I did not find any play in ball joints. Only thing I found was that rubber boots of drop links have split open. Is there any other way to check the condition of those links? Or due to splitting of balljoint ruber boots my mechanic might have advised to get them replaced?
When I replace these eventually, do I have to replace them in pairs (front and right) and get wheels alligned too or it is not necessary?

Edit:
I have taken a few pictures too, but can't manage to upload these via phone. Will add later on my PC if needed

Last edited by ErikM; 23rd June 2021 at 11:07.. Reason: Clarification
ErikM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2021, 11:24   #2
AndrewJames
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

If there's no play in them but they have split boots then he must have advised changing it due to the split boots. They'll come up on an mot if they "no longer prevent the ingress of dirt" I think.

I don't think you need to replace them in pairs but if they are as old as each other, maybe you want to kill two birds with one stone!
AndrewJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2021, 21:26   #3
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

If you do go down the replacement route, do NOT buy Delphi drop links. They are utter rubbish. Meyle get good recommendations on here.
Old 24th June 2021, 08:50   #4
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikM View Post
Hi

I got a few questions about front drop links. About a year ago I went to a mechanic, who stated that front right side drop links should be changed. Then I left my car standing for a year (due to some unseen circumstances) and today I jacked it up to check on those drop links.

I pulled on them to see if there is any play there and also used a prybar, but I did not find any play in ball joints. Only thing I found was that rubber boots of drop links have split open. Is there any other way to check the condition of those links? Or due to splitting of balljoint ruber boots my mechanic might have advised to get them replaced?
Quote:
When I replace these eventually, do I have to replace them in pairs (front and right) and get wheels alligned too or it is not necessary?
Edit:
I have taken a few pictures too, but can't manage to upload these via phone. Will add later on my PC if needed
HI Erik.
yes replace them in a pair other wise you may just have to revisit the one you did not change at a later date, also what ever make you go for add a little extra grease into each boot with a syringe.

Also cut off at least 7mm of the top thread it will help getting a spanner on the nut to tighten and to remove if you have to any other time, 10mm would be better dress the end of the thread once cut off.

No you do not need to have the wheels aligned after changing out the drop links.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote