Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 10th August 2021, 06:32   #1
handyjackdaniels
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.5 v6 in firefrost red

Default cambelt change time

Hi,

I,m in the process of changing the cambelt on my v6, along with a few more parts while most of the top half of the engine is dismantled!

Have got as far as removing the main belt, and reading a lot of members comments about removing the camshaft end cap seals and the fact they pop off or leak, plus the fact there is very little room to tap or hammer them back in!
I was going to leave them alone, but my query is how do i use the locking tools without removing the caps as the sprockets have moved slightly after removing the belt?

Also referring to the excellent thread by beinet1 and the procedure for fitting/adjusting the tensioner pulley states the sprocket bolt s need to be loose, again, some members state they didnt remove the bolts and not sure why the need to be to fit tensioner pulley?

Many thanks.Steve.
Old 10th August 2021, 07:22   #2
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by handyjackdaniels View Post
... reading a lot of members comments about removing the camshaft end cap seals and the fact they pop off or leak ...
Hi Steve,

If you remove the original caps carefully by twisting whilst easing them out, taking your time and adding lubricant if required, they can be refitted afterwards. I did this on the LH bank and mine has not popped off or leaked.
New ones are such a tight fit that it's very difficult to drive them home fully and that's when they pop off or leak!
Quote:
...the procedure for fitting/adjusting the tensioner pulley states the sprocket bolts need to be loose, again, some members state they didnt remove the bolts and not sure why the need to be to fit tensioner pulley?
If you're referring to the inlet camshaft sprocket bolts Steve, they don't need to be touched* either to replace the tensioner pulley or, in fact, when replacing the timing belt.
Most importantly, do you have the INA set-up procedure for the tensioner pulley?

Simon

* This should read "removed" which was your original question. Sorry.

Last edited by SD1too; 13th August 2021 at 06:26.. Reason: Clarification
SD1too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2021, 07:32   #3
handyjackdaniels
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Hi Steve,

If you remove the original caps carefully by twisting whilst easing them out, taking your time and adding lubricant if required, they can be refitted afterwards. I did this on the LH bank and mine has not popped off or leaked.
New ones are such a tight fit that it's very difficult to drive them home fully and that's when they pop off or leak!

If you're referring to the inlet camshaft sprocket bolts Steve, they don't need to be touched either to replace the tensioner pulley or, in fact, when replacing the timing belt.
Most importantly, do you have the INA set-up procedure for the tensioner pulley?

Simon
Thanks for the quick reply Simon,
I'll try easing the caps off as you explained( fingers crossed).

I do have the INA procedure for tensioner pulley, that was the reference from beinet1 thread i mentioned, it states to assemble the pulley need to fit locking tools, which i have got but not fitted yet, fit crank timing pin(done), fit tensioner plunger and slacken camshaft bolts.
Old 10th August 2021, 08:29   #4
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
I do have the INA procedure for tensioner pulley, that was the reference from beinet1 thread i mentioned, it states to assemble the pulley need to fit locking tools, which i have got but not fitted yet, fit crank timing pin(done), fit tensioner plunger and slacken camshaft bolts.
Hi Steve,

I've just checked my paper copy of the INA instructions and the camshaft sprocket bolts are not mentioned. Can you post the reference you've seen please?

In order to set-up the tensioner pulley the belt must be fitted and so the sprocket bolts must be in place and tight. There is no good reason to slacken them.

Simon
Old 10th August 2021, 08:39   #5
handyjackdaniels
Posted a thing or two

This is the procedure i downloaded from beinet 1 thread, there is a note on page 1.
Steve.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf KV6 TB tensioner pulley adjustment procedure (5).pdf (314.3 KB, 12 views)
Old 10th August 2021, 09:37   #6
dave lincs
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

I would not advise reusing the camshaft end caps as I have seen what can happen when they fall out
dave lincs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2021, 09:49   #7
handyjackdaniels
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave lincs View Post
I would not advise reusing the camshaft end caps as I have seen what can happen when they fall out
Are they fairly easy to fit the new ones, looking at the youtube video they tap them in with a rubber mallet, but they have the advantage of having the engine out!
Old 10th August 2021, 09:56   #8
dave lincs
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Are they fairly easy to fit the new ones, looking at the youtube video they tap them in with a rubber mallet, but they have the advantage of having the engine out!
They are not that bad to get in either knock them in or use piece of wood as a lever
dave lincs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2021, 10:01   #9
handyjackdaniels
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave lincs View Post
They are not that bad to get in either knock them in or use piece of wood as a lever

Thanks, they were sourced from Mat at DMGRS and have a thread on the edge so presume that gives a better grip.
Old 10th August 2021, 10:10   #10
rrobson
I really should get out more.......

75 tourer cdti, MG ZS 180, nissan terrano & 1.8t rover 25

A bit late now I guess but I still don’t understand the necessity of the timing tools. I’ve changed a few v6 belts now (if you think access is tricky on a 75 try changing one on a zs!) and I haven’t used or needed the tools which means none of the caps needed removing.
Mark the old belt with reference to the cam pulleys and the rear covers, and mark the crank pulley referencing the belt and block. Transfer marks from old belt to new belt, then fit new belt aligning all the reference marks. Engine was timed at factory and a new belt will maintain the original timing provided it has the same number of teeth as the removed belt and nothing has moved. Makes light work of a simple job complicated by unnecessary tools.
If you loose the timing because the cam pulleys have been loosened then yes the timing tools will be required.

VIS motor tester avalible to local members

Injector removal tool and auto gearbox pressure tester now available
rrobson is offline   Reply With Quote