Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Closed Thread

Old 7th September 2021, 18:17   #1
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts
Thumbs up Jaguar X Type for sale

Anyone interested in one of these? elderly neighbour is thinking of scrapping it but it's far too good for that fate. Grey, diesel, been ceramic coated, professionally undersealed. Over 100k miles (not sure) only spoke to him tonight. Any more details I'll find out if there's interest. He's only looking for £2-300. New tyres, new intercooler thingy Lovely looking car
54 plate
Old 7th September 2021, 19:00   #2
Atlan
Avid contributor

rover 75

Is that 2 to 3 hundred ?
Old 7th September 2021, 19:17   #3
suzublu
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlan View Post
Is that 2 to 3 hundred ?
It is, yes
Old 7th September 2021, 19:44   #4
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

Budget on sills, I have seen many of these that are immaculate on top but once the sill covers are removed they are very rusty. Even those that are undersealed as the underseal does not get as far as the sills unless the covers have been removed.

My MOT tester was showing me one that was owned by an old boy, looked almost like new until it was up on the lift and underside was so bad it was beyond economical repair. The sad part was the car had only done mid 20'sk miles and the owner was almost in tears as he thought his Jag would see him out.
Old 7th September 2021, 19:54   #5
chris75
same car since 2005

2001 Rover 75 2.0 v6 Connoisseur Saloon

If there was an olympic event for rusty sills the X-type would win the gold medal . It is staggering how those things can rust there , even though they look nice everywhere else !
Old 7th September 2021, 20:01   #6
suzublu
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
Budget on sills, I have seen many of these that are immaculate on top but once the sill covers are removed they are very rusty. Even those that are undersealed as the underseal does not get as far as the sills unless the covers have been removed.

My MOT tester was showing me one that was owned by an old boy, looked almost like new until it was up on the lift and underside was so bad it was beyond economical repair. The sad part was the car had only done mid 20'sk miles and the owner was almost in tears as he thought his Jag would see him out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris75 View Post
If there was an olympic event for rusty sills the X-type would win the gold medal . It is staggering how those things can rust there , even though they look nice everywhere else !
I haven't checked the car closely, only found out about it tonight
I know nothing about Jags, but I'll have a proper look if anyone wants me to
Old 7th September 2021, 21:23   #7
coolguy
Coolguy

Rover 75 CDT Tourer Auto, Rover 75 2.0 Connoisseur Auto, MG ZT 2.5 Auto and MG ZT Cdti Auto (Monogra

Budget £400 per side if you get a rusty one - still worth it for low mileage cars. I currently have 5, and it is the youngest (2008) which has had it's sills replaced (before I bought it a couple of months ago). My others, ranging from 2001 to 2004 are still ok.

I generally prefer my 75s/ZTs, BUT love the all-wheel drive systems on the 2.5 and 3.0 litre cars. Great in snow.
Old 7th September 2021, 22:02   #8
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

I had one, broke my heart, and had to get rid after three months (11 years ago now!). Even main dealers could not find the issue.

Mine was well put together and very tight, even with 100k miles on it. At the time, there was not much in the way of owners' forums and support, this though has now changed and I actually joined a group on facebook. A bit like this forum, lots of support and seem to be friendly bunch. I have since found out what the issue was on mine, and it appears to be quite common on diesel 2.0 Xs. The turbo actuator becomes sticky, causing the car to enter limp mode. But when it did go, it outperformed my passats on both torque and mpg (regularly up to 62 on my daily 10 mile commute via a brim to brim compared to 54)

Also it seems to have been later cars (2004 on cars it seems) that suffer from sill issues. But replacements are rather plentiful and that common, it is quite easy to get them done, and with the covers, the standard does not have to be as high as it does with our cars. But like our cars, and head gaskets 'it is an XType, the sills will be rotten'. or it is just a Mondeo in a frock (nope). Although some parts are interchangeable, again like our cars and 3/5 series, they are not the same (although 220 ST brake upgrade is apparently a tasty and straight fit option).

But I would recommend the Facebook group https://www.facebook.com/groups/194507544017196 for any potential owners of this for support (dont try to sell it on there, they are quite whingy about that lol).

I would consider another as a daily, if they werent so common compared to a ZT (and its potential serious classic status).

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
Old 8th September 2021, 06:44   #9
johnnyb44
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75

There's a lovely looking X type up for sale just down the road from me parked up on a grass verge up for around £1200.i must admit I was tempted, but was scared off by all the potential issues it may be lurking underneath its glossy skin. The old Rover on the other hand seems to just soldier on relatively trouble free, and will hopefully do so for the next few years. Yes there's been a headaches along the way, but I've always managed to sort the issues out with a little head scratching
Old 8th September 2021, 08:39   #10
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

They used to have one of those "up in the air" demonstrator ramps at the Jaguar garage in Norwich and being the saddo that I am, couldn't resist having a look underneath. The salesman came out and said "Would you like a test drive Sir?" But I told him "Not until they cover all that bare primer with another coat and some underseal!" He did not respond!