Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 26th September 2021, 18:32   #11
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

My wife's 1.2 Polo (triple engine non turbo) runs great and she has recently discovered that if you drop a gear or two and floor it, they sound great and go pretty quickly!!!
Old 26th September 2021, 18:54   #12
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverbarmy View Post
My wife's 1.2 Polo (triple engine non turbo) runs great and she has recently discovered that if you drop a gear or two and floor it, they sound great and go pretty quickly!!!
I discovered this too with one of the fastest cars in the world a few years ago. A hired 3 pot Ibiza. Booting it, gave a sound that reminded me of a V6 albeit slightly higher pitched. Stands to reason I guess with the firing pattern - a castrated V6 lol.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2021, 19:46   #13
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

Yes some of these modern engines in a lightweight shell are truly amazing, I had to drive an almost new Fiesta last year with a tiny turbo engine and was dreading it as I had to do several hundred miles. I arrived amazed at the cars ability and tiny fuel consumption.

My concern as an engineer is how long can an engine this small developing that much power last especially with the extended oil changes these modern cars are supposed to survive on?

My guess is the manufacturers dont care as long as they last the warranty period and once they are past that you will be spending your hard earned on keeping them going.

As much as fuel economy is important if you are going to have to fit a new or refurbished engine or turbo every 80k miles what is the point?
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2021, 23:04   #14
ziggy72
Posted a thing or two

Jaguar S-Type R Audi A5 Sportback

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
Yes some of these modern engines in a lightweight shell are truly amazing, I had to drive an almost new Fiesta last year with a tiny turbo engine and was dreading it as I had to do several hundred miles. I arrived amazed at the cars ability and tiny fuel consumption.

My concern as an engineer is how long can an engine this small developing that much power last especially with the extended oil changes these modern cars are supposed to survive on?

My guess is the manufacturers dont care as long as they last the warranty period and once they are past that you will be spending your hard earned on keeping them going.

As much as fuel economy is important if you are going to have to fit a new or refurbished engine or turbo every 80k miles what is the point?
Advancement in engines and technology has moved on as each generation of cars develops over the years so a small engine that in the past would be deemed underpowered and kaput at 60k miles in years gone by is more than adequate to power today's cars and have longevity.
2 litre turbo engines of today can outperform the 6.3 and 7.2 V8 engines fitted to your Jensen which were the pinnacle in the 60's and 70's and provide triple the fuel consumption to boot.
Time and technology moves on and proof is in the pudding that these smaller engines are so far ahead of similar sized engines from a generation or two ago.
Old 27th September 2021, 10:30   #15
Mike Trident
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Saloon & Citroen C1

What did make a huge difference to engine life was when they stopped using piston rings that really pushed hard against the bore. So tight that you had to use piston ring clamps to have a chance of pushing them in.

Modern rings don't actually have much pressure on them , this was to reduce the internal fiction, and improve fuel consumption, but it also stopped bore wear. Also oils these days are in a totally different league to what we used to have. Like I said in an earlier post, there are guys on the citroen C1 Forum with over 200k on their little 1litre engines. A friend of mine has a Toyota yaris with 275k on it and it still runs fine.

BORN
Tuesday, 5th October 2004 @ 12:35:52
This vehicle was the 104,679th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 3,318th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744
This vehicle was the 12,440th 75 in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 14,280 Starlight Silver 75s
Mike Trident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2021, 10:56   #16
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

I have never before know a Nissan Micra to stimulate so much interest and comment!
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2021, 11:16   #17
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 260, Rover 75 Connie SE auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post

My guess is the manufacturers don't care as long as they last the warranty period and once they are past that you will be spending your hard earned on keeping them going.

I was handed a Ford Fiesta Ecoboost as a loan car and was seriously impressed too. However, when I waxed lyrical at the garage while handing the car back, I was informed they had earned the nickname 'Ecobang' in the trade. As always there will be a bell curve with the outliers we all hear about. Mine needed two engines in warranty, mine blew up just out of warranty, mine has done 200k and is still going strong etc, etc.
The manufacturers are good at burying their bad statistics and we have to rely on motoring magazine surveys and forums like this to find out what to avoid.
I can certainly understand why those who can afford it just go on a PCP contract and swap the car every three years. I've spent my new car money on buying garage equipment to service my old fleet
edwardmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2021, 11:37   #18
Phil th Barrow
Gets stuck in

" NOW SOLD" :-( Rover 75 Conni Auto SE

Boy av things changed.

Iv had many hire cars. Th new then 1.5 dizzel Focus went great and did 74 mpg on none motorway holiday outings. A new Fiesta had me going arround bends with ease.

All these modern cars iv hired did put a big dint in my thoughts of th wobbly old 75. Butt after touring in it i found it was th best car for th job with a return of 42 mpg at around 85+ mph on th continent. Not bad for a big old bus.

For me id av th 75 for touring. But nothing else. Th compotition is way better. (Sorry nostalgist butt its true)

Lastly. theres a bike engine 1400 none turbo. It produces 210 HP. 0 to 62 around 2.6 secs (theoreticaly of 1.6 secs) Its bomb proof apparently....

Conclusion. Things av moved on considerably.
Old 27th September 2021, 18:03   #19
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardmk View Post
I was handed a Ford Fiesta Ecoboost as a loan car and was seriously impressed too. However, when I waxed lyrical at the garage while handing the car back, I was informed they had earned the nickname 'Ecobang' in the trade. As always there will be a bell curve with the outliers we all hear about. Mine needed two engines in warranty, mine blew up just out of warranty, mine has done 200k and is still going strong etc, etc.
The manufacturers are good at burying their bad statistics and we have to rely on motoring magazine surveys and forums like this to find out what to avoid.
I can certainly understand why those who can afford it just go on a PCP contract and swap the car every three years. I've spent my new car money on buying garage equipment to service my old fleet
A good friend of mine used to work in a big Renault dealership a couple of years ago ( NOT A MECHANIC) he had been there a few weeks and asked why there were dozens of newish cars in the workshop car park not being worked on? He was told they were all waiting for new engines as there was a shortage, Renault kept that out of the news.

I agree on the tools, by the tool to do the job and you can do it again and again, pay some one to do the job and you will keep on paying.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2021, 11:07   #20
Gigagator
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon, Rover 25, Mazda 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardmk View Post
Ah yes, the Ford 'Ecoboom' engine.

For those that aren't aware, it has a terrible reputation for cooling system issues leading to head gasket failure.

Sound familiar?
Gigagator is offline   Reply With Quote