Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 26th September 2021, 19:47   #1
Kroll
Regular poster

ZT 160

Default ZT Gear Knob

So, I have finally managed to get a ZT and while I’m loving the car so far there are a couple of things that I’ll want to improve.

Near the top of the list is the gear knob, what were MG/Rover thinking when they chose the white inserts? I don’t think I’ve ever seen one that hasn’t looked manky, stained beige or yellow.

Is there a good way to clean up the OEM knob, or replace the insert? I have looked at aftermarket knobs, but none are peaking my interest (aside from a really expensive wooden momo one.)

So any tips for restoration or recommendations for replacements would be greatly appreciated.
Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2021, 22:06   #2
Rich in Vancouver
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

Following with interest as the shift knob on my new ZT-T is yellowed and the nice knob on my parts car won't come off for love nor money!
Old 26th September 2021, 22:10   #3
bikerdude666
Posted a thing or two

Jaguar Xe diseasal

Not a huge amount of help as I can't remember if it was on here or Facebook, or how they did it, but it is possible to refurb the original top. I often screenshot or save the pages of things like that for future reference, so if I get a chance tomorrow I'll have a look through and see if I can find it.
bikerdude666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2021, 22:20   #4
Typhoon190
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190 Monogram Typhoon

Rick-Sta had previously organised a couple of group buys of illuminated ones very close to the originals.

Not sure if there is another one planned or whether he may have any still available?

https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...d.php?t=304880
Typhoon190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2021, 22:39   #5
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroll View Post
So, I have finally managed to get a ZT and while I’m loving the car so far there are a couple of things that I’ll want to improve.

Near the top of the list is the gear knob, what were MG/Rover thinking when they chose the white inserts? I don’t think I’ve ever seen one that hasn’t looked manky, stained beige or yellow.

Is there a good way to clean up the OEM knob, or replace the insert? I have looked at aftermarket knobs, but none are peaking my interest (aside from a really expensive wooden momo one.)

So any tips for restoration or recommendations for replacements would be greatly appreciated.

If the colour of the gear knob is your highest priority following a new acquisition 75/ZT, most members here will really envy you!
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2021, 01:43   #6
Rich in Vancouver
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS View Post
If the colour of the gear knob is your highest priority following a new acquisition 75/ZT, most members here will really envy you!
LOL! They wouldn't envy what it cost me!
Old 27th September 2021, 01:45   #7
Rich in Vancouver
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon190 View Post
Rick-Sta had previously organised a couple of group buys of illuminated ones very close to the originals.

Not sure if there is another one planned or whether he may have any still available?

https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...d.php?t=304880
Thanks! I had forgotten about Rick's knob. O'er, his SHIFT knob that is!
Old 27th September 2021, 09:31   #8
Saga Lout
This is my second home

MG ZT and Rover 75,

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,037 Posts
Default The answer.

I think this is suitable, it's from a Fiat Punto MK2 and there's loads of them in the scrapyards, you have to shave off the top of the knob as the Punto one is flat but it looks the part and doesn't fade.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210927_102400.jpg (54.8 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg 20210927_102415.jpg (54.5 KB, 23 views)
Saga Lout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2021, 11:11   #9
Simmons
Regular poster

MG ZT+ 2.5 v6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroll View Post

I read somewhere last year (possibly on here) to use tcut on it, so i did and it works wonders, clears the top very well
Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2021, 13:51   #10
Kroll
Regular poster

ZT 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS View Post
Lol, well she’s not perfect, she has a couple of things that need sorting out like the reversing sensors and the steering wheel controls. But I figured the gear knob would be an easy fix to get the ball rolling.
Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote