Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 2nd March 2018, 15:00   #21
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by topman View Post
the bus driver did look to be travelling too fast and was lucky not to have a head on collision.
As pointed out in another thread (by an ex Edinburgh bus driver I might add!) at the point where the incident occurred the bus is climbing a hill with a sharp bend at the start of it so can't build up a lot of speed. If anyone is at fault its the half wit in the Mini who attempted a U turn on a snowy road with a bus approaching.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2018, 15:04   #22
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

Here we go again, I’m glad you guys were not judging my accident.

I’m sure if the bus company thought their driver was at fault they would have taken the neccesary action. They will viewed all the camera footage from the bus.

Again well done that driver, and I mean the bus driver.
Jim Jamieson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2018, 15:25   #23
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevestrat View Post
As pointed out in another thread (by an ex Edinburgh bus driver I might add!) at the point where the incident occurred the bus is climbing a hill with a sharp bend at the start of it so can't build up a lot of speed. If anyone is at fault its the half wit in the Mini who attempted a U turn on a snowy road with a bus approaching.
'Fault' isn't binary. They both played their part in a near accident. Having watched the video the bus was travelling too fast, that's my perception from watching it.

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/
topman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2018, 15:35   #24
RoverSevenFive

Rover 75 Saloon

The bus was going at a perfectly reasonable speed as proven by the fact that an accident was avoided (by excellent driving) even though an utter NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- drove broadside directly into the path of it.
RoverSevenFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2018, 15:56   #25
Number 6
This is my second home

Rover 75 tourer Club CD/Limo Tints

Thanked 1,609 Times in 869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by philm View Post
Totally agree with you Harry more luck than judgement.
Have to agree with you and Harry,Appeared to be going far to fast for the conditions.

I wonder if there would have been the same response if she had crashed into the car ???

"I started out with nothing, and Ive still got most of it left!"
Number 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2018, 16:22   #26
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoverSevenFive View Post
The bus was going at a perfectly reasonable speed as proven by the fact that an accident was avoided (by excellent driving) even though an utter NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- drove broadside directly into the path of it.
The bus was not in sight, when the car began its manouver, but I agree it was on the face of it, a stupid thing to do.

An accident not happening is no proof of the skill of the driver. Real skill would have been demonstrated by the bus driver reducing her speed, rather than trusting to luck aiming for the gap.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2018, 16:25   #27
Kevin Williams
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDT Tourer [116 bhp] in Wedgwood Blue / MG ZT CDTi [131bhp] in Anthracite

Just a small point to correct Frebyrd [Brian]. It's a 1979/80 V reg. Alexander bodied Leyland Atlantean. Lovely picture nonetheless!

I must admit something similar happened to me when driving a Leyland Fleetline on a warm summer's evening. You can't anticipate a car going the other way doing something like that, and I had to make a swerve similar to the Lothian bus driver: fortunately with no ill effects. However, I appreciate everyone should be driving with more due care than normal in view of the current weather conditions.

regards

Kevin
Kevin Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2018, 17:24   #28
KLM
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Club CDT

To all you guys on here that thought the driver of the car was in order to attempt a 3 point turn on the brow of a hill on an icy main road, please , please don't try any of your manoeuvres in front of me
Kev.
KLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2018, 17:56   #29
Sheraton
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 1.8t

the VIDEO is Proof of the driver's skill/judgement/reactions and proof the Driver training gives them the Knowledge to deal with such situations - the same can NOT be said of the Numpty driver and their bad judgement

I'd LOVE to see those who feel the BUS driver at fault and lacking skills deal with losing the Back end of a 12-13 ton Rear Engined Double Decker

AGAIN - DUE TO THE SKILL OF THE DRIVER - THERE WAS NO COLLISION

If any YOU GUYS have made an insurance claim for an accident that was "Not your fault" - I'd have a closer look at your claim if i was the insurance company paying out

Paul.
Sheraton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2018, 18:44   #30
Andy_with_a_screwdriver
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
The bus driver was going far too fast. It was obvious there was a driver in difficulty ahead of him and I assume a car (camera) on the opposite side of the road. Managing to miss both was just luck rather than skill and observation. When you see a problem, you slow down enough to properly assess, before deciding whether to proceed. The bus driver ignored that rule completely and came close to causing a potentially very serious accident. He should be on the carpet, in the managers office.
I agree the bus was going too fast, and pure luck avoided a nasty collision. If the driver of a vehicle can not stop in the distance visible to them they are going to fast. I think I read that somewhere.

Also the bus was almost probably an automatic so it would have had almost no engine braking, unless it was in a pre-selected mode. This explains why she had to brake to slow down rather than use engine braking and the throttle to slow the bus. Had she been going at an appropriate speed or using an engine braking mode then braking would not have been as necessary to slow the bus.

However her reactions to the skid and correcting it were perfect, and perfectly executed.
Having said that, the Mini driver may reflect that it was ill judged to undertake a u-turn on the crest of a hill.
Andy_with_a_screwdriver is offline   Reply With Quote