Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 23rd February 2019, 10:30   #21
bendrick
Gets stuck in

Ex CDT Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnu View Post
My opinion? You've got to get under the car to do the filter anyway, so let gravity do the work! Any bigger bits of debris will well come out of the sump as well. I'm not sure how well a pump would clear those.
As mentioned on the diesel the filter is accessed from above otherwise I wouldn't contemplate doing it myself.
bendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2019, 19:01   #22
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnu View Post
My opinion? You've got to get under the car to do the filter anyway, so let gravity do the work! Any bigger bits of debris will well come out of the sump as well. I'm not sure how well a pump would clear those.
DEBRIS--

If you leave the oil changes that long how is the rest of the car faring ???

Also as the others say---Filter is at the top.------( Diesel motor. )
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2019, 19:06   #23
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendrick View Post
Well thats exactly my point and the reason for my question. I've fancied getting a vacuum pump for a while now in order that I would be able to change my oil and filter as often as I wish by myself.

I am scared stiff of mucking about with engines or anything that I know very little about as doing even the simplest of tasks invariably goes wrong in my case if working on stuff that I know very little about.

I don't have acess to a ramp and don't want to work under a jack or ramps on my drive so wouldn't attempt messing about trying to get a sump plug out and draining the oil that way.

The pela vacuum pumps seem a touch on the pricey side for what they are but I would have saved up for one but in the meantime spotted the powered ones in Lidls today hence my enquiry.

I think that I will give it a try as Micky seems to be happy enough with his and if it is too slow then its a £13 gamble that does or doesn't pay off.

Thanks for your observation regards possible speed of emptying
Below is a post from a previous thread.----

Been sucking the oil out of my engine with a vacuum pump.

Ten years on, no problems doing the oil change this way and my best suit I wear to do this has never had a spot of oil on it.---

I drink my tea and eat my rich tea biscuits while the oil vacates my engine.

I checked the volume coming the first time I used this method.

6 3/4 litres out. The tray stays where it is. I have a pivoting mirror on a telescopic arm to have a look around under the engine just in case there's a leak somewhere. Up to date, never found one..---

COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote