Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Touring Boating Camping & Caravan Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 30th May 2018, 11:06   #21
G.F
Regular poster

ZT Saloon CDTi 135+ & 75 2.0 V6 ppd

My age means I didn't have to do this and jumped straight into a 7.5 tonner at 18 and went all round the country.
Now I have a class 1 HGV which covers it all anyway. Rules for that have changed a lot too. Up to a few years ago you couldn't get HGV until 23. Due to the driver shortage (caused by truck drivers being less respected than lawyers or estate agents these days) the age limit is now 18! Where I work we have 4 drivers in 44 tonne brick lorries under 19 which concerns me a lot. They drive the trucks like their cars.....
I got that frustrated at age 48 I've cut and run and now work in the office. Still keeping my licence up though (which means classroom refresher sessions every 5 years, medical every 5 years etc). They aren't easy things to get thsee days and our guys are on 40-45k a year!
Old 30th May 2018, 15:55   #22
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

I took my HGV 1 and 3 many years ago, when trucks were hard to drive! My old Atkinson Borderer had no power anything, no synchros and a "back to front" gearbox layout at the top end. Great fun sending out the young know alls on that when they got too cocky! One threw the keys at me and never came back!
Old 30th May 2018, 19:33   #23
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustymotor View Post
It makes me wonder how safe some folk are when towing caravans and trailers. I passed my test in 1968 dear me what a long time ago..I once had a 4.2 Jag and a Lynton 4 birth caravan, was on holiday and stopped around the new forest in a big pub, thought had better pull up in an area reserved for coaches, there was one there already Wallis Arnold, drove alongside it, when I got out to check position etc..the jag and caravan were past the coach by about 3' front and back, it was only then that it struck me how long the rig was. Started to be very careful especially getting fuel
to be honest, I reckon safer (going forwards) then some folk that don't tow.
i admit there will be times when someone towing makes a mistake but it will more often then not be the same mistake as someone not towing.
The driver that is a danger when towing, is probably a danger when solo and they have already passed a test.

very few trailers end up in an accident going round a bend, many solo cars do. Probably the most common accident in towing results from a snake, some are the fault of the driver, some the fault of other drivers.

reversing a caravan or smaller trailer is an art as the wheels are close to the back of the car.

perhaps there are stats to show I'm wrong but in truth, i'm not convinced a trailer test is required.

I did a search on youtube for caravan crashes, not that many. Two I've seen are down to stupidity, one moving from lane 1 or 2 onto a slip road and trying to bully a lorry into giving way. the second involved overtaking a lorry on the approach to a traffic island and then trying to cut in front of the lorry. The two car drivers were not a danger because they were towing, they were already a danger.

the one on the slip road got what he deserved, a damaged vehicle

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2018, 20:00   #24
SideValve
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

One of my daughters has just failed :¬(
Couple of extra points, you need to do it with a proper set up, set weight secured in trailer & towing mirrors fitted.
And you can fail if you mess up hitching / unhitching ….
The Story So Far: Austin A35, Morris Oxford, Triumph Herald, Mini 850, Mini 1000, Austin Allegro, MG Midget, MGB GT, Rover SD1 2600, Austin Maxi, Rover 200, Rover 825, Rover 800, Bedford TK, Range Rover 3.9 efi, Rover 400, Rover 100, MGF, Rover 25, Rover 75 1.8, Rover 75 Connoisseur SE 2.0 V6, MGF 1.8i, Rover 75 Connoisseur 2.0 V6 Auto, Morris Eight Series E, Morris Minor 1275.
SideValve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2018, 11:02   #25
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideValve View Post
One of my daughters has just failed :¬(
Couple of extra points, you need to do it with a proper set up, set weight secured in trailer & towing mirrors fitted.
And you can fail if you mess up hitching / unhitching ….
is that mirrors when towing something wider then the car or towing mirrors anyway?

what was she using as a trailer?

macafee2
Old 1st June 2018, 09:32   #26
gary t
Loves to post

rover 75 connoisseur se v6

40/45 k ? got any jobs goin ?
gary t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2018, 21:12   #27
SideValve
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
is that mirrors when towing something wider then the car or towing mirrors anyway?

macafee2
I read somewhere (but cant find the link now) that you are meant to be able to see 4m to the side of the trailer. But the gov site just says you need towing mirrors.

https://www.gov.uk/car-trailer-driving-test/car-rules

She used the horse trailer we usually use but couldn't take a horse - had borrow a 1000kg water container.
The Story So Far: Austin A35, Morris Oxford, Triumph Herald, Mini 850, Mini 1000, Austin Allegro, MG Midget, MGB GT, Rover SD1 2600, Austin Maxi, Rover 200, Rover 825, Rover 800, Bedford TK, Range Rover 3.9 efi, Rover 400, Rover 100, MGF, Rover 25, Rover 75 1.8, Rover 75 Connoisseur SE 2.0 V6, MGF 1.8i, Rover 75 Connoisseur 2.0 V6 Auto, Morris Eight Series E, Morris Minor 1275.
SideValve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2018, 18:31   #28
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideValve View Post
I read somewhere (but cant find the link now) that you are meant to be able to see 4m to the side of the trailer. But the gov site just says you need towing mirrors.

https://www.gov.uk/car-trailer-driving-test/car-rules

She used the horse trailer we usually use but couldn't take a horse - had borrow a 1000kg water container.

this is interesting, sorry see attachment it wont paste property

seems the trailer test is a full driving test, you have an auto licence but can take a test in a manual but if you have a manual licence and use an auto for the test you can only tow with an auto. The person with a manual licence has more skills as they have to operate a clutch and gear lever.

well strange

macafee2

Last edited by macafee2; 2nd June 2018 at 18:33..
Old 2nd June 2018, 22:28   #29
maxi_crawf
Posted a thing or two

R75 Saloon Conn CDT SE, MG ZT190+

Glad I passed my test in 1980.
maxi_crawf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2018, 20:41   #30
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post

macafee2

I have been towing 50 years and I'm not convinced towing mirrors are that essential. I would go as far as to say I hate them, they are more of a liability. Good observation through most normal mirrors works as well or better than towing mirrors at least on UK roads. Not many UK roads are without any bends, on the bends you can get a good view behind at each curve in the road - I make good use of that to look behind, plus what I can see through the caravan's front and rear windows. The car is not much narrower than the caravan, so I can almost see the caravan's rear corners anyway, even when the outfit is straight. I do though always carry towing mirrors.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote