Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 27th July 2018, 13:51   #1
Number 6
This is my second home

Rover 75 tourer Club CD/Limo Tints

Thanked 1,609 Times in 869 Posts
Default Military Service

For those of you that were in the service and I know there are plenty on here.

A letter home from a new recruit.
Dear Mom and Dad
I am well. Hope you are too. Tell Brother Walter and Brother Alan that the Army beats working on the farm by a mile. Tell them to join up quick before all of the places are filled.
I was restless at first because you got to stay in bed till nearly 6 a.m., but I am getting so I like to sleep late. Tell Walter and Alan all you do before breakfast is smooth your bed and shine some things. No pigs to slop out, feed to pitch, mash to mix, wood to split, fire to lay… practically nothing. Men got to shave but it’s not so bad… there’s warm water. Breakfast is huge, fruit juice, cereal, eggs, bacon, etc., , and other regular food, Then at noon you get fed again. It’s no wonder these city boys can’t walk much. This walking up and down the square is a doddle carrying a little gun.
We go on “route marches,” which the sergeant says are long walks to harden us. If he thinks so, it’s not my place to tell him different. A “route march” is about as far as to our mailbox at home. Then the city guys get sore feet and we all ride back in trucks.
This next will kill Walter and Alan with laughing. I keep getting medals for shooting. I don’t know why. The bulls-eye is near as big as a barn door and don’t move, All you got to do is lie there all comfortable and hit it. You don’t even load your own cartridges. They come in boxes.
Then we have what they call hand-to-hand combat training by the Airborne boys. You get to fight the instructors as well. I have to be real careful though, they break real easy. It ain’t like fighting with that ole bull at home. I knocked three of them out yesterday.
Be sure to tell Walter and Alan to hurry and join up before other fellers get onto this setup and come stampeding on in.
Your Loving Daughter

Marion

"I started out with nothing, and Ive still got most of it left!"
Number 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2018, 16:40   #2
DerekS
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

Just wait til Christmas breakfast

Ham and eggs on the menu ( served by the officers of course , its christmas )

Ham ... slice of cold boiled ham,
Eggs .... Steamed in the crates and shells , in the steam oven .

Thats two of the reasons I didnt sign on when conscripted .
DerekS is offline   Reply With Quote