Notices

Old 3rd October 2018, 22:12   #11
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avulon View Post
You can't - that's the point of PDF - what you see is what you get - there's no manipulation or reformatting of the displayed data possible without a proper PDF editor (not cheap!).
as I said, I hate pdf files. To large to display on my screen. I cant see the headers and my camera at the same time.

might be good legally as it cant be altered but not customer friendly.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2018, 17:06   #12
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
There is another option that may allow you to work on it free. I haven't tried it, in fact haven't used the program in years. Open office. It would allow saving as pdf, and since it is also compatible with ms office, it may allow for cross formatting?

Maybe someone could confirm?

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

I use OpenOffice as well as MS Office at home. It's a really good package.

I have never had any issues with PDF files and find the format useful as it is as close to sending a printed document as is possible to achieve via electronic email without the recipient having to spend lots of money or use a fax (remember those?).

I sometimes send the same file as PDF and Office so that the PDF provides an audit trail of what was sent.

It all comes down to using the right format for what you are trying to achieve.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2018, 11:10   #13
Teflon
This is my second home

Lagoon 2.0 V6 75 Conn SE Saloon

Thanked 2,920 Times in 1,570 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
as I said, I hate pdf files. To large to display on my screen. I cant see the headers and my camera at the same time...........
Easiest way to achieve that is to open 2 instances of the spread sheet. Re-size one to show just the headers, then place the other one underneath and align the columns. You can then scroll up and down in the lower window, whilst keeping the headers in place in the top window .

You'll have to ignore the errant Explorer window that I failed to notice sitting in beteween the 2 instances of the PDF file , but hopefully you get the idea:

Cliff

No. 4 of 6
Teflon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2018, 12:33   #14
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by reworht View Post
I do have Adobe Acrobat Pro., which allows editing of PDF files as well as offering options to save the file as a Word, Excel file etc.
Looking at your file, I can open, and I can make changes. However, that is a seriously large page - 659mm wide by 1,150mm deep - and I can see loads of potential problems if I re-save it as either an MS Word or MS Excel file.
What is it you are wanting to delete/hide - I may be able to do it in Acrobat Pro and re-save it as a PDF for you to open, look at and print (albeit on a lot of sheets of paper!)
thank you. I'd like to hide the rows except of the Header and 2 rows that contain NHD-815.
once I have just these rows, I then want to hide the columns where there is no green box in that row.

macafee2
Old 5th October 2018, 13:17   #15
reworht
This is my second home

Honda HR-V 1.6 i-DTEC SE Navi 5dr Diesel Hatchback

Thanked 2,156 Times in 1,497 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
thank you. I'd like to hide the rows except of the Header and 2 rows that contain NHD-815.
once I have just these rows, I then want to hide the columns where there is no green box in that row.

macafee2
I'm on the case

Rodney - you plonker!
... but more commonly known as Rod !
reworht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2018, 16:40   #16
reworht
This is my second home

Honda HR-V 1.6 i-DTEC SE Navi 5dr Diesel Hatchback

Thanked 2,156 Times in 1,497 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by reworht View Post
I'm on the case
I hate to admit defeat - but I may have to admit defeat
I have no problem in saving the original PDF file in a variety of ways. I can easily export the following formats:
  • MS Excel file
  • MS Word file
  • an .XML file
  • a picture/image (as a JPEG file).
The problem is that NONE of those file types are easily editable, in that there don't appear to be any cells/columns/rows as you would find in an Excel file for example. Every little bit of text that comes through has it's own little text box - and would need deleting individually. Funnily enough, the worst file is the Excel one - the columns have disappeared, the green blocks have disappeared - the file is pretty worthless. I'm pretty sure that means that the original document was NOT created in that format.
I have experimented with editing within the PDF file. using my Adobe Acrobat - but it has the same problem, in that each block of text on the page is it's own little block and would need deleting individually. Then you would be left with empty boxes, columns and rows - which is NOT what you want.

If you wish, I'll happily email you the various exported files for you to look at - just drop me a PM with your email address

I think Cliff's suggestion above may be the only way to do what you need.

Rodney - you plonker!
... but more commonly known as Rod !

Last edited by reworht; 5th October 2018 at 16:48..
reworht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2018, 18:52   #17
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

pdf, junk!

macafee2
Old 5th October 2018, 20:03   #18
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Jamieson View Post
One thing I find with PDF files is, if you have to print it out, it takes about four sheets of paper with only one sheet showing the relevant info.

Who said computers would do away with paper

When you click on 'print', in Windows at least, when the print panel appears, it lets you select which page(s) and number of copies you want...

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2018, 00:26   #19
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

is this what you are looking for (a low res version, due to upload restrictions)? if it is, even Acrobat would be a faff, cropping etc instead of collapsing and hiding columns(which no company would provide due to the complexity and compatibility issues). Photoshop (or similar) would handle it just as easily as any PDF editor.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!

Last edited by clf; 6th October 2018 at 00:29..
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2018, 09:07   #20
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
is this what you are looking for (a low res version, due to upload restrictions)? if it is, even Acrobat would be a faff, cropping etc instead of collapsing and hiding columns(which no company would provide due to the complexity and compatibility issues). Photoshop (or similar) would handle it just as easily as any PDF editor.

that be as near as damn it, yes thank you.
How did you do it?

alas swann don't do repairs and don't seem to sell the hard drives by themselves, so the use could be forced into buying a whole complete new system. Not customer focused.

I just hope a transformer solves the problem.

thanks again

macafee2