Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 7th November 2018, 21:28   #1
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts
Default Renault parking sensors

I have just spent most of today, trying to work out how to re-attach a 2014 Renault (model???) front near/side parking sensor on a friends car and failed miserably...

He managed to just nudge a post with the bumper and the sensor fell inside the bumper. He took it to a dealer for its service/MOT and asked if they could sort the sensor whilst they had it. There reply was that it would need a new bumper, because the sensor bracket would have broken off. Or maybe a body shop might be able to fix it, so he ended up asking me to have a look. They did though disable the front sensor option, to silence it for him.

I managed to see the sensor through the empty hole in the bumper and it looked as if someone had already been at it, with an attempt to glue it in place. A bit more looking and it seemed nothing had ever been disturbed to access it, to glue it - so seem it seems that was the work that Renault did at the factory. They just push into a hole, from the back of the bumper, with a smear of inadequate glue to hold them in place. The holes in the front, all looked as if they had been drilled on the line and hadn't been deburred properly. Clean the bumper with just a bit too much enthusiasm and they will easily become detached.

Anyway, I spent hours, trying to help friend find some means to access the sensor to refix it and failed miserably. A few inches back from the sensor location was the front cross chassis member. I managed to remove a plastic under engine panel, but the bumpers lip and cross member meant no access from below. Absolutely no access from the top, due to radiator/ fan/ ac rad. Heavy rain outside, so we were struggling to work in the shelter of my garage. We gave it up and then spent three hours struggling to clip the plastic under panel back in place - tongue all along the bumper, to fit into tight sockets in the panel. Then five bolts along the rear edge. Those tongues refused to all line up and really fought back.

Anyone ever removed a 2014 complete front end bumper? (For the next attempt).

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2018, 07:58   #2
ssizefive
I really should get out more.......

Mg Tf160

If you can get me the reg number hopefully I should be able to obtain the instructions for removing/refitting of the bumper for you.

And yes - lots of bumpers now just have some brackets that are bonded to the inside of them for the park sensors to clip into.

Steve.
ssizefive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2018, 08:05   #3
SCP440

MG ZT-T 260

I find Gorilla epoxy glue works well to fix these sort of problems when you do get it off.

2 part mix and it goes off in under 15 mins.

A lot of these modern bumpers are just clipped into place and a good pull in the correct place is often all that is needed.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2018, 08:22   #4
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssizefive View Post
If you can get me the reg number hopefully I should be able to obtain the instructions for removing/refitting of the bumper for you.

And yes - lots of bumpers now just have some brackets that are bonded to the inside of them for the park sensors to clip into.

Steve.

Thanks Steve - It might take a day or two to get in touch with him, but I will get back to you.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

Old 8th November 2018, 13:28   #5
ssizefive

Mg Tf160

Hi Harry,

I have emailed some info for you - hope this helps.

Thanks
Steve.
ssizefive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2018, 19:17   #6
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssizefive View Post
Hi Harry,

I have emailed some info for you - hope this helps.

Thanks
Steve.

A public thanks Steve, yes received..