Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 23rd November 2018, 18:44   #1
Dorset Bob
Senior Citizen

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur SE,Chrysler 300C,124 Spider, Daytona 955i,Honda XL250 & Royal Enfield 650GT

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,686 Posts
Default FCA investigating car insurance pricing practices

Not before time:

"The Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) is investigating car insurance pricing practices, after it emerged that some firms might be inflating renewal prices for long-standing customers."
https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/in...20full%20story

Why should these crooks rook loyal customers?

Let the good times roll............

Dorset Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2018, 18:52   #2
Comfortably Numb
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorset Bob View Post
Not before time:

"The Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) is investigating car insurance pricing practices, after it emerged that some firms might be inflating renewal prices for long-standing customers."

Sadly, because we let them. This allows them to lure in new punters with big discounts, who they will fleece in subsequent years. I heard a financial guru on the radio insinuating we had only ourselves to blame for not shopping around at every renewal. NOOO! Lifes too short!
Comfortably Numb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2018, 19:46   #3
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

This review is the result of a "super complaint" from Citizens Advice.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/ab...illion-a-year/

Support your local CA.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2018, 20:35   #4
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

I hope they can sort it out with a result in our favour before I have to give up my licence due to age.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2018, 20:56   #5
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfortably Numb View Post
Sadly, because we let them. This allows them to lure in new punters with big discounts, who they will fleece in subsequent years. I heard a financial guru on the radio insinuating we had only ourselves to blame for not shopping around at every renewal. NOOO! Lifes too short!

I am very grateful for those who remain loyal to their energy/ car insurers/ breakdown cover/ home insurance/ ISP - because their paying over the odds, allows them to offer me a big discount for changing each year.

What's not to like?

I always make them compete for my business, never agree to them auto renewing..

For example, my previous partner took care of the day to day household bills, including the insurance cover for this house, before she passed away. The year before she died, I happened to see the renewal bill - it was close to £500. She had just allowed it to renew year on year, without any claims being made and year on year they had increased the cost. I took over, told them NOT to renew, shopped around and got the same cover for just over £100 - that was four years ago.

Prices have gone up since then and I took out the same cover for £79 just three weeks ago, with the very same company who had wanted £500 four years ago. Act the fool and they will take you for a fool.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.

Last edited by HarryM1BYT; 23rd November 2018 at 21:08..
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2018, 21:16   #6
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Not before time:

They are also investigating the companies who charge way over the odds on the 'never, never', for domestic items and furniture, such as BrightHouse. These companies falsely inflate the basic cash selling price of items, then charge a vastly increased amount for the repayments, putting a lot of poor people in difficult financial circumstances, into even worse circumstances.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2018, 18:13   #7
Rogue
I really should get out more.......

75 CDT SE 160 Saloon

Thanked 1,096 Times in 774 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
They are also investigating the companies who charge way over the odds on the 'never, never', for domestic items and furniture, such as BrightHouse. These companies falsely inflate the basic cash selling price of items, then charge a vastly increased amount for the repayments, putting a lot of poor people in difficult financial circumstances, into even worse circumstances.

I have checked their prices before and they regularly charge over 50% more than the company i work for .....

Glutton for punishment --- Previously ... 2.6 SD1 x 2, 3.5 SD1, 820S, 820Si x2, 216 Gsi, 220T saloon, 414, 45 1.4 x2 and now a Cowley 75 CDT
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2018, 08:54   #8
victorgte

MGTF, MGZT, Range Rover

Sadly all too common. My neighbour lost her husband in 2006 and as usual he had done everything. Her home and contents renewal this year was £600!
A few minutes on the tablet and she changed company for a deal of £190.
Direct debit is a great way of paying for essentials but it can mean you lose focus on how much you are paying unless you make the effort to shop around.
I’m horrified if any of my car insurance policies cost more than £200.
Old 25th November 2018, 09:03   #9
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Not before time:
Quote:

Hi Bob
They can look into them all they like nowt will come off it, as the whole section is corrupted, as are a lot of big business, and the government are in it them selves don't you worry about that, we are not surprised really are we the little working man needs to be kept under foot.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2018, 13:09   #10
Scaramanga

Firefrost 75 CDTi Conn SE manual Tourer

Every insurance (in-sewer-ants as Terry Pratchet called them) I've had always quote a higher renewal premium despite no claims made etc. Sometimes they back down and give a competative quote, most often not.

I vote with my feet. Lets hope this is remedied. I doubt it however

Just a side note when I saw FCA in the OPs post I, being a bit of trekkie geek thought of The Ferengi Commerce Authority. Think of IRS in the USA and the fear they wrought mixed with a penchant corporate greed

Anyway here's a pic for those interested....

Anyway, there is no such thing as customer loyalty anymore. It the usual corporate profit above all else

I hope this investigation has apositive outcome for us.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (10.6 KB, 54 views)
3. Midnight Blue 2.5 V6 auto Saloon- 'The 5th Gear Car' - Now owned by another forum member
4. Firefrost CDTi manual Tourer
Lee

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Scaramanga is offline   Reply With Quote