Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 7th December 2018, 14:50   #21
mystabe
Posted a thing or two

Mazda 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
what did parents do about knowing where their children were before phones?
I perfectly understand that once you become reliant on them you worry more without them due to lack of contact.

macafee2

I'm over 50 and remember well what life was like before even cash machines existed never mind the internet - my point was that if everything disappears instantly with no warning then most people who aren't sat at home watching Bargain Hunt or Middle Class Homes In The Country will struggle at least a bit

Give me a month and I could sort it out - no warning about it though is difficult..

Last edited by mystabe; 7th December 2018 at 14:55..
mystabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2018, 16:27   #22
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystabe View Post
I'm over 50 and remember well what life was like before even cash machines existed never mind the internet
When the cash machines first appeared you got a single use card that you put in the machine and got the money out. The machine ate my father's card and didn't give the money so he went in and saw the manager who's response was "it does that with mine as well!"

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2018, 16:31   #23
coolguy
Coolguy

Rover 75 CDT Tourer Auto, Rover 75 2.0 Connoisseur Auto, MG ZT 2.5 Auto and MG ZT Cdti Auto (Monogra

Quote:
Originally Posted by grivas View Post
But can you use a log table or a slide rule to add/sub/mult/div?, that is the point,!!
Actually YES!
coolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2018, 17:26   #24
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

If you are that reliant on a mobile phone get a dual sim phone on two different networks. In truth most people can cope for a day or two without.

Yes they are very handy to have and make our busy lives a lot easier but if you damage or loose your phone you would cope.

There was something about it today on Jeromy Vine today and the usual ''I lost a lot of money'' brigade were ringing in claiming they would have made a million if the network had not gone down. 30 years ago hardly anybody had one and the world worked then as far as I can remember.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2018, 17:35   #25
breakfastinsmethwick
Gets stuck in

Maintainer of sons ZT M47r

The toilets at work, or should I say social media interaction cubicles were strangely less utilised yesterday.

They are often all engaged in complete silence for ages. No sounds of exertion or relief to be heard.
breakfastinsmethwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2018, 17:38   #26
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
30 years ago hardly anybody had one and the world worked then as far as I can remember.
In the '80s in my railway days whoever was the inspector on call for any incidents used to get to haul the "mobile" phone around with them. It was commonly referred as the talking brick.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2018, 18:46   #27
BoroRover
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevestrat View Post
When the cash machines first appeared you got a single use card that you put in the machine and got the money out. The machine ate my father's card and didn't give the money so he went in and saw the manager who's response was "it does that with mine as well!"
In the early days of the ATM, with single use card, someone I know was walking home after a good drink. He couldn't decide whether to get a kebab or a taxi home, he didn't have enough for both.
He bought the kebab, went to the ATM,( they had Perspex screens that lifted when a card was inserted those days). Put his card in, the screen raised, he put his kebab near the keypad, placed his card in the slot, the machine ate the card, the screen came back down, with his kebab behind the screen. No card, no kebab, no money, no taxi home.
That's life !!
BoroRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2018, 18:47   #28
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

I remember phones when it was the battery in one hand and the handset in the other, come to think of it, I remember the time before mobile phones

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2018, 19:40   #29
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

O2 was working fine here yesterday for voice, was it just data that failed?

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2018, 09:51   #30
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
I remember phones when it was the battery in one hand and the handset in the other, come to think of it, I remember the time before mobile phones

macafee2
My first mobile phone was one of those - a Motorola 4800X. It used to be fitted in my successive Austin Montego cars which I got a new one of every 3 months. The handset was mounted on the facia and you unclipped it almost like a normal phone to make a call.

Those early phones were elegant and special - modern ones do nothing for me personally.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote