Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 26th December 2018, 10:27   #41
Number 6
This is my second home

Rover 75 tourer Club CD/Limo Tints

Thanked 1,609 Times in 869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heddy View Post
You may have something there Pete, I could never fix the h/brake on my last car (75 Mk1) It always felt solid, no 'spring' as you call it. I was told it had Pagid shoes, a make I never rated. Always felt the friction material needed to be softer.
These are my thoughts as well, I have thought for some time now that the shoes felt as if they had no Grip to them.....Even after repeated adjustment and done as per the "Manual" I think the next step is to replace the shoe's which are of an unknown make to a set of TRW ones and see if that makes any different.

"I started out with nothing, and Ive still got most of it left!"
Number 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2018, 12:00   #42
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 6 View Post
These are my thoughts as well, I have thought for some time now that the shoes felt as if they had no Grip to them.....Even after repeated adjustment and done as per the "Manual"
Quote:
I think the next step is to replace the shoe's which are of an unknown make to a set of TRW ones and see if that makes any different.
John/members
Original are available at Rimmer Bros,

https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-SFS100190SLP

But compare them to the TRW on the bay and the cost is half ? always make sure with the seller that you will receive TRW and not some replacement or equivalent to them.

Couple of sellers below.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROVER-75-...0/332474057633

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRW-Rear-...Y/153169099566

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2018, 12:14   #43
patrolman pete
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 club se tourer CDT and a Connoisseur SE Diesel Auto Saloon

Quote:
You may have something there Pete, I could never fix the h/brake on my last car (75 Mk1) It always felt solid, no 'spring' as you call it. I was told it had Pagid shoes, a make I never rated. Always felt the friction material needed to be softer.
I tried pagid shoes as well but they still had not much ‘grip’ . I was sure that the handbrake was spot on when I bought my first 75 new all those years ago so genuine must be the answer but I didn’t want was to pay Rimmer’s prices and be wrong ! Jules sent a link to a seller on EBay and once purchased and fitted I was shocked at the improvement!
patrolman pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2018, 12:53   #44
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

What I don't understand is how any of you ever managed to wear the shoes to such an extent that they had to be replaced.

How on earth did you do it.---( Unless you drove with the hand brake on.---)
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2018, 13:18   #45
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by T16 View Post
Handbrakes need to be adjusted properly.

I think its tight at the back, then 3 notches/turns slackened off.

It likely will need applying and driven slowly to clean the shoes and drums up, if the handbrake has never had much use.

My experience of the 75 handbrake adjustment suggests that is the 3 notches is wrong and leaves too much play. The best way to adjust is with the adjuster fully tightened, maybe a good tap with a mallet to get the shoes fully centred, a final tighten, then back off. You then back it off a notch or two, just enough that you can easily turn the drum, but with still some definite rubbing of the drum as it is spun. Even mechanics get this wrong, no rubbing means a wide gap and a lot of play.

Quote:

I have heard the complaint many times, where an owner has fixed and adjusted everything spot on and still had no useful result, despite new none OEM shoes. There are not many reasons to fit new shoes on the 75, they do not usually wear at all. So oil damaged, or the friction material coming off the shoes seem to be the only reasons for replacement.

Once sorted, they need to be given a small amount of work to do, to keep them working 100%. That involves regular use where the handbrake is applied lightly gently for the last few yards as you come to a stop. That keeps drum rust at bay and the shoes clean.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2018, 13:22   #46
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
What I don't understand is how any of you ever managed to wear the shoes to such an extent that they had to be replaced.

How on earth did you do it.---( Unless you drove with the hand brake on.---)
A potential cause for replacement (am not saying that it happened in this case), would be the shoes sticking to the drum, and then delaminating when released. One of mine is missing about 10 mm at the end of one of my shoes due to this. I park on a level (and have an auto so I can use P quite safely) so when parked up at night, at home, I would leave the handbrake off. If you plan to leave the car parked up for any amount of time, for this reason I would suggest leaving the handbrake off and use wheel chocks instead to stop it moving.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2018, 17:19   #47
patrolman pete
Posted a thing or two

Mine were replaced as the linings starting to come away from the shoes probably due to corrosion and I needed rear pads and discs at the same time so just got a set when I was in the motor factors. After that the handbrake needed constant attention to work but it lasted about a week and the car would roll back on my drive and on any hill. I struggled for years until I fitted the TRW shoes.
Old 26th December 2018, 18:43   #48
patrolman pete
Posted a thing or two

When I've fitted new shoes , I slacken the cable at the handbrake , fit the shoes and drums then adjust the shoes until they bind then I then tap the drum with a copper hammer. This centralises the shoes and then drum/disc is then free again and I keep repeating until tapping makes no difference and the drum can still be moved by hand . Then I adjust the handbrake to two to three clicks without the brakes dragging. Future adjustment is then just a couple of clicks at the drums when required .
Old 26th December 2018, 20:50   #49
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
A potential cause for replacement (am not saying that it happened in this case), would be the shoes sticking to the drum, and then delaminating when released. One of mine is missing about 10 mm at the end of one of my shoes due to this. I park on a level (and have an auto so I can use P quite safely) so when parked up at night, at home, I would leave the handbrake off. If you plan to leave the car parked up for any amount of time, for this reason I would suggest leaving the handbrake off and use wheel chocks instead to stop it moving.

A manual, left in gear is pretty much the same.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2018, 21:34   #50
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
I am lucky to park on a level surface. I never park with the hand brake on. I just use first gear.

Hand brakes, in very cold weather, have been known to freeze on.

Be it the shoes are moist or there is an ingress of water into the cables.

This ice is quickly removed as warm air from the engine and also heat from the discs starts to appear. ( only needs a degree or so of heat to unstick things. )
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote