Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 19th December 2018, 09:04   #1
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts
Default Another thing fixed

After last winter the water to the garage was turned on and the next day I found the garage flooded.

Not having the space to work in the garage due to the Tourer being in there the water was turned off, floor dried and things left.

Yesterday I got round to fixing it. I assume an olive was not tight enough, water had frozen and the ice expanded. This forced the pipe to move partly out of the fitting and half the olive to slip off the end of the pipe.

Not risking the same pipe again I've used two new bits of pipe and a solder 90 degree fitting. Seemed water tight last night.

Took advantage and all the stuff that's piled up this year that needed washing was washed. Not the sort of stuff to wash in the kitchen sink, not if I want to live anyway

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2018, 13:26   #2
WillyHeckaslike
This is my second home

Rovers 75 & 25

Thumbs up

I can manage a soldering iron for electrics but learning to solder plumbing joints is something that I would really like to do. I've thought for a while that it would be useful to have the skill to maybe have a go at making the occasional bespoke part for a car's cooling system ... metal T-piece etc..
WillyHeckaslike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2018, 22:05   #3
Devilish
Been round the block

75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
Not the sort of stuff to wash in the kitchen sink, not if I want to live anyway
Pfft. Chicken.

If I want to wash car bits in the sink, I'll WASH CAR BITS IN THE SINK.
If I want to de coke a FBH in the sink, I WILL DE COKE A FBH IN THE SINK.
If I want to get diesel in the sink, I WILL GET DIESEL IN THE SINK.
Old 29th December 2018, 17:30   #4
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyHeckaslike View Post
I can manage a soldering iron for electrics but learning to solder plumbing joints is something that I would really like to do. I've thought for a while that it would be useful to have the skill to maybe have a go at making the occasional bespoke part for a car's cooling system ... metal T-piece etc..
Willy. It only takes a little bit of practice to get it right.

I have, over the years, installed quite a few central heating systems.

You can get a few copper fittings and a piece of copper pipe to practice on. You can take any joints you have made by heating them up and taking them apart to then try re-soldering them again.

( Wear gloves. Lol. ) and a small pair of pliers is handy for dismantling.-
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2018, 19:47   #5
WillyHeckaslike
This is my second home

Rovers 75 & 25

Never really done much plumbing work but come the new year I will be attempting to clean out our central heating system. I don't think that it was ever commissioned properly from the off and the plumber who fitted it was called back a couple of times in its early days because of the system pressure dropping. Gave up on him eventually and just kept on topping up the system via the filling loop as he showed us but it got worse over the years. It stopped working altogether a few months back after much complaining from the pump about the sludge that was building up within the system lol.
WillyHeckaslike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2018, 20:10   #6
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilish View Post
Pfft. Chicken.

If I want to wash car bits in the sink, I'll WASH CAR BITS IN THE SINK.
If I want to de coke a FBH in the sink, I WILL DE COKE A FBH IN THE SINK.
If I want to get diesel in the sink, I WILL GET DIESEL IN THE SINK.
Deb says its ok, it all cleans up
Old 29th December 2018, 20:16   #7
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

[QUOTE=WillyHeckaslike;2698033]Never really done much plumbing work but come the new year I will be attempting to clean out our central heating system. I don't think that it was ever commissioned properly from the off and the plumber who fitted it was called back a couple of times in its early days because of the system pressure dropping. Gave up on him eventually and just kept on topping up the system via the filling loop as he showed us but it got worse over the years. It stopped working altogether a few months back after much complaining from the pump about the sludge that was building up within the system lol. [/QUOTE

What the system has to have, just like our cars, is an anti-freeze anti- corrosion additive.---Then, virtually no corrosion or sludge.

You plumber must have made some poor, dry, joints. A quantity of FLUX is absolutely essential when soldering the connections. It vastly reduces the surface tension of the lead solder and allows surface tension to completely fill the joints with lead.

Leaks come from poor joints made with not enough flux. Water can then leach through in dry areas where the solder has not taken.
Old 29th December 2018, 20:17   #8
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyHeckaslike View Post

Copper pipe soldering, with the right tools, is actually easier than electrical/ electronic soldering.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2018, 20:19   #9
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
After last winter the water to the garage was turned on and the next day I found the garage flooded.

Not having the space to work in the garage due to the Tourer being in there the water was turned off, floor dried and things left.

Yesterday I got round to fixing it. I assume an olive was not tight enough, water had frozen and the ice expanded. This forced the pipe to move partly out of the fitting and half the olive to slip off the end of the pipe.

Not risking the same pipe again I've used two new bits of pipe and a solder 90 degree fitting. Seemed water tight last night.

Took advantage and all the stuff that's piled up this year that needed washing was washed. Not the sort of stuff to wash in the kitchen sink, not if I want to live anyway

macafee2
In your case it was better that the joints came apart. If they hadn't then the pipes themselves would have split leaving you with a much harder problem to solve.---
Old 29th December 2018, 20:20   #10
Les4048
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer/ MG ZT-T 400

Thanked 1,523 Times in 869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
Deb says its ok, it all cleans up
Carole is of the same attitude
Les4048 is offline   Reply With Quote