Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 10th January 2019, 10:47   #21
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadget1960 View Post
This is totally true, I've been to India (Mumbai) and the levels of ingenuity shown by ordinary folk just trying to keep their business going simply staggers me.
Probably bourn out of necessity ... re-cycling is a way of life, these people do not have the luxury of being born into a 'throw away society', in India .. EVERYTHING is fixable.
I knew I'd read am article about this recently.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-46616372

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/
topman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2019, 10:58   #22
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

We had a Bosch dishwasher in the house when we moved in (from previous owner) which finally gave up the ghost after 15 years of our use + an unknown number of years previous use. We ordered the equivalent Bosch replacement (same spec ?). The delivery driver brought in the new model (on his own) and was to dispose of the old one. He had to get "the lad" to help him carry the old one out of the house!!! Same spec??? They definitely don't build stuff like they used to. Built in obsolescence. Marketing strategy.
Old 10th January 2019, 17:49   #23
Andy_with_a_screwdriver
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMoppet View Post
Funny how all this malarky has arisen because . . . the much maligned EU . . . has decided to make a stand. Can anyone imagine No. 10 trying to change things? Maybe we should not . . .
Without wanting to be too cynical Number 10 (or to be honest Number 11), loves the little thing called VAT which is applied to every new luxury item that is bought.
An extra 20% is sent to Whitehall for all new purchases made, why should they want to change it???

That's why Alistair Darlings car scrappage in 2009 was extended by the government, they were making more income in VAT than they were giving away for the old cars.
Andy_with_a_screwdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2019, 18:32   #24
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Thanked 1,579 Times in 968 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcydog View Post
Do you remember the “inconvenient truth” of the research a decade or so ago that indicated that the Jeep Wrangler * was far greener overall than so called environmentally friendly vehicles when you analyse their “dust to dust” impact on the environment.

* (- it was US research.)

The simple, rugged construction of the Jeep Wrangler with it ability to be easily repaired and serviced contrasted very favourably to the likes of the Toyota Prius------.

Which is/was pretty much my point.

I'll wager it's pretty easy to "select" a bit of the "lifetime" of a product and claim it's the holy grail of whatever.

I suspect true cradle to grave would show many claims to be erm... marginal or simply untrue.

And, of course, IMHO it depends upon who is funding the research/findings/paper as to how it's conclusions are presented. It's fascinating just how many "experts" are out there on any topic you care to mention

I'm seeing a lot of several years interest free credit to tempt me to buy a new car but I'm not seeing much in the way of several years parts & labour warranty .

I love the idea of taking the product/all the packaging back. Brilliant.

Loving the thoughts & discussion.

Thanks

Andy.

Last edited by AndyN01; 10th January 2019 at 18:35..
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2019, 19:03   #25
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

The fact is that our economy (and many other economies) are built on increases in material consumption year-on-year. How else can that be achieved if not by producing low-longevity goods?

Also, people buy rubbish by the bucket load. You only have to observe shopping baskets/trollies in pound shops.

Ultimately, it is all down to the average man or woman in the street and their purchasing habits.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2019, 19:11   #26
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyN01 View Post
Anyone else watching (watched) the item about repairing broken electronic stuff rather than throwing it away?

Apparently new items aren't lasting as long as they used to......

Andy.

I think they are lasting much longer than they used to. The difference now is that they tend to be thrown away, rather than being repaired. The reasons being multiple - owners lack the skill, or the patience to attempt to fix things and if parts might be needed, they tend to be far too expensive.

I never throw anything away which has failed, without attempting a fix first, no matter what the item. I have repaired our washer/ drier at least five times since it was bought a decade ago and it is becoming more reliable as tie passes and I install 'better fixes'.

Having a bit of time now, which I haven't had before and the inclination, I am doing battle with a £2000 very complex radio receiver. I may have bitten off more than I can chew and many have failed to fix its known issues before me on the same model, in the PLL PCB.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2019, 20:06   #27
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

We all know you can buy a new washing machine for under £300 but buying one for £1000 is often a better buy long term. One brand offer a 10 year warranty of bearing and drums and they are good for this as I found out. If they are happy to warranty it for that long they must be confident, I bet you wont get that on a £300 machine.

If we had this option on more products I wonder how much waste it would save? If our cars lasted 25 years easily and our 3 piece suite still looked good after 20 or more years would we be so willing to buy a new one especially if they cost 3 times the price?

The problem is our factories would be closing and the unemployment would be going up at a rapid rate, even a modest down turn has this effect as we know with JLR.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2019, 22:03   #28
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyN01 View Post
Erm....

What stops something being both repairable and cheap?

We, the consumer, could then make a genuinely informed decision about whether to spend, say, £300 on an item which is designed (and no quibble guaranteed) to last 3 years or say £400 on one designed to last 5 years.

They already do that with car batteries, you can buy one with a 3 year, or the same one with a 5 year - the difference? Just guarantee, labelling and of course the price..

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

Old 10th January 2019, 22:24   #29
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by coab View Post
Ive have a plasma 43" TV for approx 10 years now and all of a sudden it kept switching off. I was told by everyone I knew "throw it mate its not worth repairing" etc. Took it to an Indian chap I knew who does exactly this and repaired the TV plus changed a sound board and charged me £40 and gave me a 3 month warranty. Got the TV back and the sound was never this good when new!

I have just replaced my large screen plasma with an even larger Smart LCD set. Not the very latest model, but new and discounted. My thoughts were that the new set would soon save its cost in reduced power consumption and I fancied having the Smart. I am delighted with it and it runs things much faster than the plasma, boots up almost instantly. Nothing at all wrong with the plasma, apart from its consumption, its weight and its lack of Smart. It got relegated to a spare standby set, stashed in the back bedroom.

Old 10th January 2019, 22:30   #30
zedhed
Posted a thing or two

zt saloon turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
Yes I've just watched it, I wonder if they could have found anyone any more "geeky" to interview than the couple on the sofa?

I have the workshop manual for a 1982 ZX Spectrum if anyone needs to see if their ZTX650 is in good order though

Brian
Now thats a blast from the past brian,the zx spectrum.remember mine,the 48k with rubber keys,along with the games,paperboy,outrun,platoon😀,im getting carried away now.

Sent from my LG-M160 using Tapatalk
zedhed is offline   Reply With Quote