Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

View Poll Results: Who would like a club chat room?
YES 19 63.33%
NO 9 30.00%
Waste of time 2 6.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 24th December 2006, 12:25   #11
actros
Subscribed Member

20lt 75conny se Damson red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
Hi guys - I'll look into it. VBulletin (our forum software) does not handle chat rooms 'built in' but there will be various options for us ...
Thanks Chris mucho grassyas.
Old 24th December 2006, 14:18   #12
baxlin
This is my second home

Volvo C70 Convertible and JZR 3 wheeler

My missus says I waste enough time on here as it is.............

Last edited by baxlin; 24th December 2006 at 15:04..
baxlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2006, 14:30   #13
Simon
Banned

-

Would a chat room detract from these forums though? I mean, if we all get caught up on the live chats then we might not use the forums

As it stands I think the forums are the best solution for sociability and enjoyment. I think chat rooms woud lead to people over-using them in a bid to get answers quickly instead of going through the forums. Policing and enforcing open chat rooms would be also become difficult.

Maybe direct chat opened between two people would be a more feasible approach? Allowing one-on-one communication in a private fashion without others jumping in unanounced. This would also involve less policing work. (Yes I know this is similar to private messaging, but this method would be similar to a MSN conversation, for example)

I think this one needs careful thought....
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2006, 15:03   #14
Zeb
Banned

MGZT V8 & ZTT 190+LPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon D View Post
Would a chat room detract from these forums though? I mean, if we all get caught up on the live chats then we might not use the forums

As it stands I think the forums are the best solution for sociability and enjoyment. I think chat rooms woud lead to people over-using them in a bid to get answers quickly instead of going through the forums. Policing and enforcing open chat rooms would be also become difficult.

Maybe direct chat opened between two people would be a more feasible approach? Allowing one-on-one communication in a private fashion without others jumping in unanounced. This would also involve less policing work. (Yes I know this is similar to private messaging, but this method would be similar to a MSN conversation, for example)

I agree.....notwithstanding the train analogy....
Zeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2006, 17:07   #15
driverjgp
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Club 2.5 V6 Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon D View Post

One on one chat would be good, but you would need a main room befoe you go off to a private chat????

I believe org had a chatroom?

Why not have a choice like on org?

Jason Player
Woodbridge,
Suffolk

Money can't buy happiness. But it sure makes misery easier to live with.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Rover 75 Club Auto K-Series 2.5 Litre Quad Cam 24 Valve in Steel Blue December 2000 Cowley build.
driverjgp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2006, 17:52   #16
BMC123
Posted a thing or two

2004 1.8 Connoisseur SE, 1999 XJ8

well.. my 10ps worth, I used to moderate a chat board on a PC forum a few years back, and whilst i would in no way compare the average user of that board to the users here, it was a nightmare to look after. it just got out of hand, and in the end we closed it. Nowadays we just use the PM system, and some of us made up a new forum specific skype address and posted it in our signature space at the bottom, with the times we are available in brackets like this:

skypeaddress (18:30 - 19:30GMT)

and that worked fine. no need to give out any personal info, at all :lol: coz believe me.... there are some right fruitcakes out there
Old 25th December 2006, 10:09   #17
tourerfogey
Banned

I think a chat room could become divisive and secular, and detract from the friendly nature of these excellent forums. The present Private Messaging system is ok and goes far enough in this direction in its present form.

Having said that, this club/these forums should be run democratically so it's what the majority wants that is important, limited only by what those who provide this excellent site for our benefit are able or willing to offer - after all the amount of effort they have already expended is tremendous.
tourerfogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2006, 11:59   #18
rover
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

Having just voted in favour of a Chat Room,I have now read some of the recent postings with regard to potential damage to the Forum.I think they are probably right & have made me think again.
rover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2006, 12:29   #19
direstraits
Avid contributor

2X MGZT-T190,s 1XMGZT180 X-PowerGrey/Trophy Blue/ Anthracite

Default Chatrooms

hi I agree with the above but as this forum has a limited number of contributers any problems could and should be stamped on promptly.

<<It is sadly a fact of life that where ever you go or where ever you are
there is always someone who will rain on your parade,or key your car.
But if you go through life with this at the back of your mind all the time
then why go out or try something new.
There are some out there who want to redefine Christmas and are getting away with it.>>

The above is what you get in "Chatrooms" do you want this to happen on the Forum or keep it to a chat room?
direstraits is offline   Reply With Quote