Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 22nd February 2019, 19:58   #11
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post
They are absolutely brilliant. I have one for each car and a few spares.

I have done an internal inspection and they are close copies of a Fluke 87.

Here's the proof.

dx

= 42 n=all intents & purposes
= cheap
= f'ing brilliant
You are a fool, they are certainly closely related to a Fluke 87, but in reality they are complete clones of the Fluke 2638A.

I know this as I have several out on site with customers as we speak, and just as well given the price differential between the "Lidl battery tester" and the Fluke Hydra III is quite considerable.

It is a shame Lidl chose to scribble out the Fluke logo with a magic marker don't you think

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2019, 20:03   #12
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
You are a fool, they are certainly closely related to a Fluke 87, but in reality they are complete clones of the Fluke 2638A.

I know this as I have several out on site with customers as we speak, and just as well given the price differential between the "Lidl battery tester" and the Fluke Hydra III is quite considerable.

It is a shame Lidl chose to scribble out the Fluke logo with a magic marker don't you think

Brian

I hope you have them calibrated every 3 months!
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2019, 20:21   #13
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post
I hope you have them calibrated every 3 months!
Once a week actually

LINK
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2019, 20:42   #14
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendrick View Post
Is rubbish / no its not, theme once again.

Are the battery tester things that they are selling at the moment any good and also does anyone have an opinion on the engine oil emptier pump that they are also selling at present?

Cheers

I await the potential commencement of a 10 page Lidl v Top brands equipment battle
Does a basic test of a multimeter using easy to read LEDs, the LED's light up in sequence.
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2019, 22:06   #15
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:

Well I didn't mistreat it at all, in 40 years of motoring I've never had a problem with a newish battery going flat. However as my mileage has unusually diminished significantly over the last 3 or 4 months I found myself in a situation not encountered before, to be honest I was congratulating myself on saving a small fortune in diesel just before the battery went flat the other week.

Which is why I am fully chargered and jump start packed up now to avoid a similar situation.

Its quite a simple question that I've posed you know ...as in :-

What is anyones opinion of the items mentioned in the original post?

Not a question asking about anyones opinion about my battery, car usage, haircut, fashion sense or anything else, not about whether they'd use or buy them but does anyone who may or may not have purchased them have an opinion about them.
--Ooooooooooooooooooops.

By mistreating I just meant it needed a good charge.---

The rest of my posts was meant to be serious about a battery tester.

For very many technical reasons that tester will not give you the result you expect it to.

Last edited by COLVERT; 22nd February 2019 at 22:16..
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2019, 22:12   #16
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Might give it a go then for £13. I'm never going to get under the car to take the drain plug out so a feasible oil pump would mean more regular oil and filter changes that I can do myself which I would have thought could only be a good thing.

I had been considering buying one of those vacuum ones but they seem to be quite expensive for what they are with varied reviews so I was going to save up for one but if this does the job as you say then I'll give it a go and see how it goes.

Cheers
Personally I've been using the vacuum one on my car and my wife's car for many years now. It does a really good job and I would recommend it to anybody.

Those electric ones would take AGES to get 7 litres out of a diesel engine and for that reason only I wouldn't bother with one.

Most blokes beards would grow quite long waiting for that underpowered thing to do its job.---
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2019, 22:42   #17
bendrick
Gets stuck in

Ex CDT Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
--Ooooooooooooooooooops.

By mistreating I just meant it needed a good charge.---

The rest of my posts was meant to be serious about a battery tester.

For very many technical reasons that tester will not give you the result you expect it to.
Yeah I realise that, as in not giving it a good run or charge up to counter the hugely reduced mileage consisting of extremely short runs over a couple of months.

Which I now appreciate after having this problem for the first time ever even with a quality new battery in place.

I've used a multimeter to check the battery voltage since discovering the non working battery which had only dropped to 11.7v but of course was below the level of attempting to start the car.

I was surprised as I was harking back to the days of a struggling battery sluggishly turning over an engine and hopefully just about starting the car before giving out completely, but upon reading up on the subject find that just a tiny loss of voltage means that cars these days won't even attempt to start which was a new one on me.

I was just wondering if a bit of a gimmicky light gizmo attatched to the battery and giving an alternator reading at the same time would be more convenient than the admittedly not very onerous task of using the multimeter.

Ironically it was the low £2.99 price tag that was making me wonder if it was rubbish or perfectly adequate for the job as advertised.

Last edited by bendrick; 22nd February 2019 at 22:52..
bendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2019, 22:51   #18
bendrick
Gets stuck in

Ex CDT Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post

Personally I've been using the vacuum one on my car and my wife's car for many years now. It does a really good job and I would recommend it to anybody.

Those electric ones would take AGES to get 7 litres out of a diesel engine and for that reason only I wouldn't bother with one.

Most blokes beards would grow quite long waiting for that underpowered thing to do its job.---
Well thats exactly my point and the reason for my question. I've fancied getting a vacuum pump for a while now in order that I would be able to change my oil and filter as often as I wish by myself.

I am scared stiff of mucking about with engines or anything that I know very little about as doing even the simplest of tasks invariably goes wrong in my case if working on stuff that I know very little about.

I don't have acess to a ramp and don't want to work under a jack or ramps on my drive so wouldn't attempt messing about trying to get a sump plug out and draining the oil that way.

The pela vacuum pumps seem a touch on the pricey side for what they are but I would have saved up for one but in the meantime spotted the powered ones in Lidls today hence my enquiry.

I think that I will give it a try as Micky seems to be happy enough with his and if it is too slow then its a £13 gamble that does or doesn't pay off.

Thanks for your observation regards possible speed of emptying
bendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2019, 08:40   #19
gnu
Gets stuck in

MG ZT

My opinion? You've got to get under the car to do the filter anyway, so let gravity do the work! Any bigger bits of debris will well come out of the sump as well. I'm not sure how well a pump would clear those.
Old 23rd February 2019, 09:03   #20
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnu View Post
My opinion? You've got to get under the car to do the filter anyway, so let gravity do the work! Any bigger bits of debris will well come out of the sump as well. I'm not sure how well a pump would clear those.

It's on the diesel that the vacuum pumps are handy as the filter is accessed from the top.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote