Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 30th April 2009, 05:48   #21
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

Time for the weekly update.
Not ONE drop of water!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! added
kaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2009, 19:27   #22
Gman2
Posted a thing or two

ZTT+ 1.8T, mgf 1.8

Looking good mate - I like what I'm reading Have you noticed any subtle changes with the car eg noise, slower/faster getting to temperature etc?
Gman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2009, 20:10   #23
Dave Goody
This is my second home

15 years of 75s & ZTs now an XTrail

Default My experience

Heres another prev experience, this time with Blockweld [same manufacturer as Radweld, Holts product from Halfords?] Many, many years ago I was a very poor person, even poorer than now. I ran an Anglia van [now thats poor]
I also lived in a cardboard box, but enough of that.
The water pump went, so I walked to my nearest Ford parts stockist [the nearest breakers] and bought a 2nd hand one.
The pump was held on by 3 bolts in a triangle pattern. While tightening up the bolts I snapped one. "Oh dear", I said, "I hope 2 bolts will hold it" Then I snapped another. I said something stronger. There was no way I could afford to take to a garage to have the bolts drilled out and tapped + eating that week. So walked to Halfords and bought 2 yes, 2 tins Blockweld.
I have 1 bolt holding the water pump on and a gap you could slide a knife blade into. I started the engine and filled with water which ran out as fast as I could put it in, I then added Blockweld slowly and the leak got slower, then stopped.
I drove the van for 7,000 miles, then sold it to a guy who had it for a year prior to writing it off. As far as I know it never leaked again, and ran as perfectly as an Anglia van could.
This story is totally true, maybe some of these products are the answer to some of our problems
I know the 998 Anglia engine was a crude unit with bigger waterways than a 75/ZT but products have moved on as well. Dave

When I was a kid I was scared of earwigs because I thought they actually lived in your ears. I was even more terrified of cockroaches!
Dave Goody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2009, 20:38   #24
kaiser
This is my second home

Sodium silicate, look it up. It is the active ingredient (well, one of the active ingredients) in most of these "potions". It transforms into "glass" at about 115 degrees, and if you ask me, it is something that should just be added to the cooling system in our engines. I know that this is early days, but I can only say that my 1.8T is perfect.
The water loss that started to creep up on us lasted about 14 days before I added the stuff. It has utterly and completely cured the loss, and there has been absolutely no noticeable ill effects, whatsoever. In fact, I feel really good every time I check the water and see that it hasn't moved one mm!!
This has cost me the princely sum of about 5 Pounds! There is absolutely nothing that prevents me from ripping the engine out and overhaul it. But why?
The small clearance(s) that allowed water to pass the liner(s) has (have)been blocked and sealed with "glass". In all honesty, I think it works better than the seal from the factory.
If things gets out of hand, then you get to a point where only surgery will help. It is in any ones interest to prevent things from developing so far.
If I had not overhauled my V6 and locked the liners with Lock-tite, I would add the stuff to my V6 as a precaution. And I think this is really good news!
But time will tell, I will continue my updates, then you can decide from there.

And Dave, when you come to South Africa, come and say hello, if you get the time!
Old 1st May 2009, 09:34   #25
Dave Goody
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser View Post
Sodium silicate, look it up. It is the active ingredient (well, one of the active ingredients) in most of these "potions". It transforms into "glass" at about 115 degrees, and if you ask me, it is something that should just be added to the cooling system in our engines. I know that this is early days, but I can only say that my 1.8T is perfect.
The water loss that started to creep up on us lasted about 14 days before I added the stuff. It has utterly and completely cured the loss, and there has been absolutely no noticeable ill effects, whatsoever. In fact, I feel really good every time I check the water and see that it hasn't moved one mm!!
This has cost me the princely sum of about 5 Pounds! There is absolutely nothing that prevents me from ripping the engine out and overhaul it. But why?
The small clearance(s) that allowed water to pass the liner(s) has (have)been blocked and sealed with "glass". In all honesty, I think it works better than the seal from the factory.
If things gets out of hand, then you get to a point where only surgery will help. It is in any ones interest to prevent things from developing so far.
If I had not overhauled my V6 and locked the liners with Lock-tite, I would add the stuff to my V6 as a precaution. And I think this is really good news!
But time will tell, I will continue my updates, then you can decide from there.

And Dave, when you come to South Africa, come and say hello, if you get the time!
Kaiser, I am coming in June [no dates yet] for about 10 days. Will probably spend a couple of nights in Joburg then travel to Gauteng Kwazulu Natal area,
followed by visits to the western and Eastern Cape. My offer still open to transport some Therm Housing kits. It looked earlier in the year as if I would not be too busy this summer but I am up to my ears, in travel to the Pacific, 4 countries, Middle East 5 countries, Russia, Turkey + most of Europe so being away so much would not allow me to market them. Have you contacted any of our trade members re this? Dave

When I was a kid I was scared of earwigs because I thought they actually lived in your ears. I was even more terrified of cockroaches!
Old 1st May 2009, 12:32   #26
amableson
Gets stuck in

Ex Rover 75 owner

Do you all remember bars leaks, the cure all of the 80's.
I remember having a conversation with a jaguar mechanic who said that all jags ran with bars leaks in their cooling systems as standard and was there as a safety precaution. Nothings changed then!!!!!
Old 1st May 2009, 14:21   #27
drewbie
Loves to post

Rover 75 Club SE 1.8T 03 plate.

Bars Leaks hmmmm, i remember it blocking up the heater matrix on a ford anglia i owned, think you can still get it.
drewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2009, 07:58   #28
jcwatrichmond
Loves to post

Rover 75 1.8T 2003 Club SE

Halfords still sell it, and very good it is too. I put some in my 1.8T to stop a radiator leak last year. It stopped straight away and it hasn't lost a drop since. It's still in there.
Ford Anglia - hmmmmm!! I didn't think they ran to a heater, maybe that's why you thought it wasn't heating very well!!!! :lol:

John
jcwatrichmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2009, 08:26   #29
kaiser
This is my second home

I think some of them came without heaters, that was considered luxury in some cars. A hardy lot they must have been.
I would suspect that this stuff would also seal internal leaks to a degree, so it might be of benefit to keep in the system.

Dave, let us know when you know. Sounds like a busy trip. I will certainly have some housings ready by that time. They weigh in at about 1300 g each. But I presume you will have your kit stuffed with cheap wine, biltong and god knows what.
Old 2nd May 2009, 20:04   #30
Dave Goody
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser View Post
I think some of them came without heaters, that was considered luxury in some cars. A hardy lot they must have been.
I would suspect that this stuff would also seal internal leaks to a degree, so it might be of benefit to keep in the system.

Dave, let us know when you know. Sounds like a busy trip. I will certainly have some housings ready by that time. They weigh in at about 1300 g each. But I presume you will have your kit stuffed with cheap wine, biltong and god knows what.
I'll have to eat the Biltong when there, the drug sniffer dogs go crazy at Heathrow on return and they confiscate it!! I can bring a spare bag and will get Business class so can carry a bit extra?
Have a word with SMC or E M S to see if they would like to market, both local to me and could drop them off.
As I said unfortunately out of country for most of Summer so would keep a lot of people waiting for orders if I did the marketing/posting. Will let you know dates as soon as I hear. Dave