Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 11th July 2011, 19:52   #11
Mel Dawson
Passed Away

2004 facelift saloon cdti se connoisser

Hi Kissifer,
Thanks for link to South Lakeland,I to have just ordered one lets hope it cures problem.

Thanks Mel
Mel Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2011, 21:45   #12
chrissyboy
This is my second home

lovely little ford focus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Death View Post
Was £10 delivery on the handbrake...and that was at the price it has been for a good while of £25.

Well i said i had adjusted the handbrake at the wheels for some drag at two notches on the handbrake but once the wheels were on it moves more easily.

On the way for the test i was on a steep hill and had to pull up the hand brake more... went in and luckily the MOT bloke is a fellow biker and good bloke told me hand brake was up from the previouse 9% to 50% but not good enough but told me to go back and adjust them, this time i did them tighter at the two clicks on the handbrake and when handbrake off they spun freely still.

Went back and was fine i didnt do the 3 clicks i simply yanked it on and some testers test themselves and some let you apply it, i think i was at 4 clicks 5 max i know they were solid by hand on 3 clicks with the wheels off.
4 clicks solid by hand with the wheels on.

So dont know if there are still some issues this time it has to be the rear cables if anything.
Talking to the mechanic he says all cables eventually stretch he still even gets them coming in with knots tied in them.

But mine is working fine now...

dont understand the click bit on the hand brake test ,as you press the button in and pull up till the car is kicked back out of the rolling road then the measurements are stored
Old 11th July 2011, 23:21   #13
James_Death
Gets stuck in

EX.2001 Rover 75 Conn SE 2.0, CDT,155 Brake, BRG

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissyboy View Post
dont understand the click bit on the hand brake test ,as you press the button in and pull up till the car is kicked back out of the rolling road then the measurements are stored
Sorry was just referring to the hand brake set up as per the forum should have been clearer... sorry...
James_Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2011, 23:28   #14
James_Death
Gets stuck in

EX.2001 Rover 75 Conn SE 2.0, CDT,155 Brake, BRG

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
I think you are falling into the trap of still leaving too much play. All you need is the shoes barely clearing the drum, or just barely touching, so it is already being applied at the first click. Two should hold it on most slopes and at three the tyres will leave rubber on the road if you tried to drag it.

The higher the point at which the handbraks starts to work, the less effective it is simply because the amount of leverage your arm can produce falls dramatically as the angle worsens.

If you can easily push the car on a smooth flat surface with the handbrake in the off position, it is not dragging. I'll bet you can still push yours at two clicks?

Get it set so it is fully applied at three clicks and the handbrake is brilliant, as good as they get.
Thanks for that ill have to measure how long the shaft is but dont really want to go over the 25mm especially the mess it was before spinning in the housing.

Ill try the push test at 2 clicks...

Yep can push it on 2 and even 3 clicks however i have rear clonks etc now that have appeared overnight...

Last edited by James_Death; 12th July 2011 at 15:12..
James_Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2011, 17:43   #15
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Death View Post
Thanks for that ill have to measure how long the shaft is but dont really want to go over the 25mm especially the mess it was before spinning in the housing.

Ill try the push test at 2 clicks...

Yep can push it on 2 and even 3 clicks however i have rear clonks etc now that have appeared overnight...
Still far too much play then, take it up at the shoe adjusters. They are known to clonk - apparently the shoes are not rigidly fixed and there is some rotational play allowing them to turn a little. So even with the handbrake on, you may be able to rock the car back and forth turning the rear wheels a few degrees. Sometimes it can produce a creaking noise as it moves.

If anyone has one of these bent item 4's on the Rimmers diagram, (the metal Y splitter) which they no longer need - rather than bin it, I will happily pay postage to get my hands on one. I'm just curious to see if I could modify it to make it a bit more robust, now James seems to have at last got to the bottom of the problem of the 'cable stretch issue'.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2011, 20:49   #16
denis
Gets stuck in

2004 MG-ZT CDTi 135 Saloon in TROPHY YELLOW + Synergy Two-wow and an Aussy import RAV 4 2.4L

Default Picture

James D - That is a teriffic picture on your start of this post. I tried adjusting my handbrake the weekend. including the spacer business which I still don't think can work as you are just leaving the nut further up the threaded section under the lever. I believe the idea that the cables are slightly too long to start with is the best I've heard so far. I'll read through the entire post and all the responses and see where we go from here. I'm at four clicks best but I do think the brake is on adequately at three now that I have meticulously adjusted at the wheel ends and under the lever. Just have to see how the August MOT goes!!!!

On studying James D's picture of the primary cables (with the square sections) these are what stop the cable pulling through the housing further when you wind up on the lever nut. I reckon if you file some of the squared section closest to the lever to the same diameter as the threaded section, and use a spacer, it will pull further through the housing. This may give the extra needed to tighten the lever pull.

Last edited by denis; 12th July 2011 at 21:18..
denis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2011, 20:57   #17
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

Quote:

If anyone has one of these bent item 4's on the Rimmers diagram, (the metal Y splitter) which they no longer need - rather than bin it, I will happily pay postage to get my hands on one. I'm just curious to see if I could modify it to make it a bit more robust.
That won't be a problem harry Unless somebody has one already I will sort that out when i have changed mine....

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2011, 21:46   #18
zony
Regular poster

MG ZT-T

Just ordered mine. Hope they have some left. Does centre console need to come out?
zony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2011, 22:18   #19
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocktake View Post
That won't be a problem harry Unless somebody has one already I will sort that out when i have changed mine....
Thanks Dave!

Is there an easy way to take a peek at this little beastie? I suppose I really ought to check mine for distortion.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2011, 06:00   #20
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

Quote:
Thanks Dave!

Is there an easy way to take a peek at this little beastie? I suppose I really ought to check mine for distortion.
Don't think so it appears to be under a plate that is under the rear section of the carpet, new territory for me

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident

Last edited by stocktake; 13th July 2011 at 08:23..
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote