Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 26th November 2011, 13:52   #1
workaholic_ro
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Default "Boiling" Power Steering Fluid

Well, not actually boiling. I suspect an air leak somewhere, I have a lot of bubbles in the reservoir with the engine running and a kind of "foam" when it stops. The air pressure was high enough to spray the fluid all over through the small hole from the reservoir cap.
The power steering has no power and the pump is making a deadly noise due to the air/fluid mixture, every time when I try to turn the steering wheel, a noise very similar to the cavitation produced in an overworked hydraulic system.
I removed the cap and replaced the lost fluid, same bubbles, foam, noise, lack of power. No visible leaks.

Cheers,

Fidel

workaholic_ro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2011, 14:46   #2
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Fidel,

Have you tried loosening the clips securing the end of the steering rack gaiters to find your missing fluid?

Simon.
Old 26th November 2011, 17:25   #3
workaholic_ro
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Fidel,

Have you tried loosening the clips securing the end of the steering rack gaiters to find your missing fluid?

Simon.
No, I'll check Monday morning, but the fluid has been squirted through the top breather. I'm worried about the air in the system more than about any possible leaks. Can a defective pump suck air along the shaft, or it is just a colar or a hose ?

Cheers,

Fidel

Old 27th November 2011, 08:16   #4
craig8661
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 tourer cdt

i think if the seals go on the shaft it could pos suck in air it could be a failed power stearing pump
mods so far synergy 2
heated washer jets
cant really add anything else as it has it all lol
craig8661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2011, 08:25   #5
man of kent
Loves to post

75 tourer auto diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig8661 View Post
i think if the seals go on the shaft it could pos suck in air it could be a failed power stearing pump
Agree. You need to change the pump. Wonder why the pump has failed? Most PAS pumps outlast the car. Could be massive overtightening of the belt which firstly knackers the bearing and then the seal collapses.

Correct belt tensioning is when you can turn the belt between the pulleys 90 degrees with just a little force.
man of kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2011, 12:11   #6
workaholic_ro
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

I have just found the problem. The steering pump body is made of two parts, one is cast iron (or steel) and the other one aluminium alloy.
The gasket between them has been blown out.
I removed the plastic cover, attached a hose to the pump inlet and blowing some air it was easy to detect the leak. I'll draw the gasket and have a new laser cut one tomorrow, if this is the only failure. Now let's see if I can remove the pump without touching the handbrake, the gearbox and the fuel tank...

Cheers,

Fidel

Old 28th November 2011, 13:00   #7
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by workaholic_ro View Post
I have just found the problem. The steering pump body is made of two parts, one is cast iron (or steel) and the other one aluminium alloy.
The gasket between them has been blown out.
I removed the plastic cover, attached a hose to the pump inlet and blowing some air it was easy to detect the leak. I'll draw the gasket and have a new laser cut one tomorrow, if this is the only failure. Now let's see if I can remove the pump without touching the handbrake, the gearbox and the fuel tank...
That job cannot be done without removing the gearbox and the fuel tank

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2011, 07:32   #8
workaholic_ro
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Job done, steering pump FIXED and not replaced.
Had to remove: engine cover, engine to body top connection bar, engine mount plastic cover, pump plastic cover, three small screws from the pump pulley and the pump itself. Nothing else. No need to touch engine mount, belt tensioner, plastic undertray, engine front plate etcetera etcetera. Sine qua non tool: straight 10mm racheting box wrench. It looks like this:

Cheers,

Fidel

Last edited by workaholic_ro; 2nd December 2011 at 07:35..
Old 2nd December 2011, 07:49   #9
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by workaholic_ro View Post
Job done, steering pump FIXED and not replaced.
Excellent stuff Fidel.

Simon.
Old 17th February 2013, 10:24   #10
BudeCarpets

Rover 75 Tourer

got same syptoms on a 2.5 ltr v6 tourer Yreg had it 48hrs and dropping fluid all over. garage had a quick look but nothing dropping when in garage, drive off and park turn off ignition and it drops it all been through 2 ltrs of fluid in 48hrs even tried blocking air hole in cap and using wynns steering fluid repair to no avail. sounds like we have similar issue and i like the idea of a just a gasket instead of full pump. my question is you said you had one laser cut and not being in the mechanic game i was wondering where i would get a new gasket from in a hurry many thanks for any help available
BudeCarpets is offline   Reply With Quote