Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 1st November 2020, 17:00   #1
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts
Default Different TV's different stations

why do different TV's have channels such as PICK on different "number stations" PICK on one TV and BT box is 34 on another TV it is 11, why?

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2020, 17:19   #2
coolguy
Coolguy

Rover 75 CDT Tourer Auto, Rover 75 2.0 Connoisseur Auto, MG ZT 2.5 Auto and MG ZT Cdti Auto (Monogra

No idea, but I am absolutely sick of digital TV full stop. I don't know how many times I have had to try and retune, not always successfully, and at least with Analogue I never lost the station due to "bad or no Signal", which I now do, whilst a cheaper set in the kitchen carries on regardless! Also, why when they move a station to another number do they never fill the original with another?

Rant over.
coolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2020, 08:47   #3
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
why do different TV's have channels such as PICK on different "number stations" PICK on one TV and BT box is 34 on another TV it is 11, why?
Hi Ian,

After having a conversation with Freeview's helpline about this I believe that the numbers are arbitrary. The TV tuner receives a group of stations on a single "multiplex" which roughly translates as a "channel" under the old analogue transmission system. The TV then separates the "multiplex" signal to give you the individual stations.

I have no idea how satellite and cable works or services delivered via a telephone line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolguy View Post
... when they move a station to another number do they never fill the original with another?
If you're referring to Freeview Malcolm it's because frequencies are being released for use by the 5G mobile phone service. Some "+1" and even some HD stations have disappeared permanently.

Simon
Old 2nd November 2020, 18:14   #4
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Hi Ian,

After having a conversation with Freeview's helpline about this I believe that the numbers are arbitrary. The TV tuner receives a group of stations on a single "multiplex" which roughly translates as a "channel" under the old analogue transmission system. The TV then separates the "multiplex" signal to give you the individual stations.

I have no idea how satellite and cable works or services delivered via a telephone line.

If you're referring to Freeview Malcolm it's because frequencies are being released for use by the 5G mobile phone service. Some "+1" and even some HD stations have disappeared permanently.

Simon

Simon,
thanks but why does one tv put Pick on 11 and another tv puts it on 34?
Signal is coming from an aerial not a satellite dish or cable

macafee2
Old 2nd November 2020, 18:31   #5
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Simon,

macafee2
According to the aerial installer I had a couple of weeks ago,this has something to do with the transmitter, as well as the technology built into the tv.

Due to the TVs I have in the house, it was better to focus on a particular transmitter (I can receive from 3 different transmitters).

Our oldest tv would not be able to receive the HD transmissions from the one we have focused on, but the more used tvs can.

If we focused on a different transmitter it would display as a different number on the tv.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2020, 20:00   #6
Teflon
This is my second home

Lagoon 2.0 V6 75 Conn SE Saloon

Thanked 2,920 Times in 1,570 Posts

Quote:
Simon,

macafee2

If you're watching on Freeview via an aerial, it should be on channel 34 https://www.freeview.co.uk/get-freev.../channels/pick, though I believe it was on 11 'till recently. Have you tried a re-tune on the TV that's showing it on 11 (11 on Freeview should now be Sky Arts now I think)?

Cliff

No. 4 of 6
Teflon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2020, 09:26   #7
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teflon View Post
If you're watching on Freeview via an aerial, it should be on channel 34 https://www.freeview.co.uk/get-freev.../channels/pick, though I believe it was on 11 'till recently. Have you tried a re-tune on the TV that's showing it on 11 (11 on Freeview should now be Sky Arts now I think)?

Cliff
oh ok. I think I did a retune and it made no difference and yes, Sky Arts is on the channel I thought pick was on. May be I retuned the wrong TV

macafee2
Old 4th November 2020, 17:19   #8
Uncle Dean
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolguy View Post
No idea, but I am absolutely sick of digital TV full stop. I don't know how many times I have had to try and retune, not always successfully, and at least with Analogue I never lost the station due to "bad or no Signal", which I now do, whilst a cheaper set in the kitchen carries on regardless! Also, why when they move a station to another number do they never fill the original with another?

Rant over.
Hello Mate,

Have you noticed it does the same with digital radio?

years ago when technology was not so good as it is now the recievers had a much bigger bandwidth...i.e. it would pick up the station or signal if it drifted abit, now a days the transmitters and recievers are so precise the bandwidth doesnt need to be wide and so when the signal drifts or becomes poor for any reason it can nolonger be detected.

fm and dab,digital radio has a shorter range from the transmitter as well as digital tv signals, try driving up to Inverness along the A9 to see how it works. When AM signals were on the go you could listen the whole journey, now, about 60-70% only.

I used to live way out in the highlands and tv signals were relayed using our own aerial system.... in came digital, out went our tv.

thats what they call improvements.
Uncle Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2020, 17:58   #9
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Several TV's here, but only one big screen modern Smart set. The rest have a restricted number of channels because of age. The Smart had an issue where it was constantly suggesting new channels had been found, so it needed a retune.

As one of the high spots, I receive from three regional transmitters, so the set during the retune would want me to tell it which region I was in. I eventually worked out, that I needed to fit an attenuator, so it would see fewer transmitters and concentrate on my main local one. It seemed as reception improved of more distant regions, at certain times of day, it would trigger the TV to request that I retune it.

The attenuator (a variable type) has mostly fixed the issue.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2020, 17:59   #10
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Don't forget to retune today as some channels have moved 😎

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote