Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 21st December 2006, 21:54   #1
JMPB
Regular poster

MG ZT-T

Talking My nice new 190 engine!

Attached are a couple of pics of the 3rd engine just before fitting in my 190 ZTT.

You may remember my story (started on XPF in October 05).

To cut a very long story short I had a replacement engine fitted to my 190 after destroying a cylinder liner, piston, con rod etc when it digested a gallon of water at 3500 rpm in October 2005. An insurance claim later and a remanufactured engine was sourced and fitted as there were no 190 service engines available.

Some 10 months and 15000 miles later its in for its first service by a couple of great local guys (who know the KV6 inside out!) They spotted the water pump was leaking coolant, not from the drain but from a failed gasket. To remove the pump requires the timing belts to be removed and this is where the fun started. It soon became apparent the wrong engine had been fitted as the cam timing tool for the 190 did not fit but the 160 tool did! We abandoned any attempt to repair the pump so as not to compromise the next step. A Wurth sealant was put in to get me back on the road while the mess was sorted.

Anyway with much help from some great people on the various forums (cheers Nick & Brian (Dreadnought) - I still owe you all a few pints!) and 12 weeks later I have reached the following agreement.

1: Vege agreed they had supplied a 177 unit (standard 2.5 V6 MGR) not a 188
2. The MG dealer at that time fitted the wrong engine.
3. The 177 engine could not be converted to a 188 unit.
4. A new (remanufactured) Vege 190 engine would be supplied and fitted.

The results of this can be seen in the photos, a new shinny 190 unit ready to replace the 177 unit currently fitted. I have done another 3000 miles while we argued about what was to happen, so the 177 unit will be going back with 18k on it.

My ZTT went in on Monday and the courtesy car supplied was an 06 ZTT CDTi off the forecourt!
It is quite a different car from my old 190. It certainly could do with more power so I am assuming it is not a 135. It also has softer suspension. Fuel consumption over the 700 miles I have done this week (90% motorway) has been a disappointing 37 MPG? And no I don’t drive like a lunatic, a steady 80 mph on the motorway (no fog up here in Cumbria / Lancashire) The car can be seen at,

http://users.autoexposure.co.uk/clas...V833803_1a.jpg

It now has more than 10000 miles on it and no there is nothing wrong with the grill its just the picture has been morphed.

So hopefully next week I will be running in an engine in once again. This should put a couple of years back into the car!
JMPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2006, 22:30   #2
Chilljohn
Posted a thing or two

MG HS PHEV

oooooooooooooooooooooo shinny !!!!!!!!

good luck with this one !!!!

i hope as part or the remanufactor it gets all 3 timing belts renewed ?!
Chilljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2006, 14:36   #3
Jamie
Posted a thing or two

In Limbo

John, glad you got the car sorted, Engine looks great, that Cdti just needed Rover rons Mods and it'd be a flyer! That Grill looks odd, have they cut out the one of the bars???

any chance of a couple of photos of the Gearbox Bell housing????

I am looking to arrange a convoy from the North West and meeting up with the Midlands members for the March meeting at the Haynes Museum, are you going to join in?

Regards

Jamie

Ps...hows the Apprilia?

Last edited by Jamie; 22nd December 2006 at 14:38..
Jamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2006, 16:41   #4
chris75
same car since 2005

2001 Rover 75 2.0 v6 Connoisseur Saloon

Isn't that a beautiful engine ! Think the picture shoud be on the homepage .....
chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2006, 22:11   #5
Simon
Banned

-

Oohhh. engine... (makes gurgling noises akin to Homer Simpson...)
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2006, 23:50   #6
Pete
Owners Club Director

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris75 View Post
Isn't that a beautiful engine ! Think the picture shoud be on the homepage .....
Sorry everyone, the pic needs to be bigger before I can get it on the homepage rota

Follow The Club On Twitter
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2006, 19:46   #7
Lates
This is my second home

Jaguar XE

Any chance of the old engine going walkies
Lates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2006, 20:45   #8
JMPB
Regular poster

MG ZT-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker in a suit View Post
John, glad you got the car sorted, Engine looks great, that Cdti just needed Rover rons Mods and it'd be a flyer! That Grill looks odd, have they cut out the one of the bars???

any chance of a couple of photos of the Gearbox Bell housing????

I am looking to arrange a convoy from the North West and meeting up with the Midlands members for the March meeting at the Haynes Museum, are you going to join in?

Regards

Jamie

Ps...hows the Apprilia?
Jamie,

The photo has been doctored, the grill was just as it should be. Nice car but not worth the £14K it is up for in my book.

Count me in on the North West meeting just let me have the details!

The Tuono is a beast, a couple of simple mods (remap, Akra, K&N & OZ wheels) and its now putting out well over 120 big ones which is everything you dont need in this weather so the Bandit is still providing a stirling service. Popped in last Thursday to the biker shop in Winsford you told me about. What an Aladdin’s cave! I had wondered what had happened to Catweasle, now I know! great bloke but fresh out rear of axle stands....I wills stop here as I am in danger of being on the wrong forum.............!

John
Old 23rd December 2006, 20:59   #9
JMPB
Regular poster

MG ZT-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Sorry everyone, the pic needs to be bigger before I can get it on the homepage rota
I can upload hi-res pictures if required. I had assumed a 97Kb limit on uploaded pics as per the guidelines on uploading JPEGS. Just let me know how............

Sorry Jamie, I did not get any pics of the gear box housing. The engine is now installed and my ZTT back in use.

It great to have the silky smooth KV6 back under my right foot, especially a 190! even though I am currently limiting myself to sub 4k rpm for the first 500 miles. The timing belts are new and are delivered in situ with the engine. The third belt was renewed with my original replacement engine so has seen only 10 months and 18000 miles.

The clutch was renewed this time as a precaution, it was 50% worn, not bad for 95k miles given the problems some have had.

Sorry Lates, the deal was the 177 was returned to Vege after the 188 was fitted.
Old 27th December 2006, 12:46   #10
Jamie
Posted a thing or two

In Limbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMPB View Post
Jamie,

The photo has been doctored, the grill was just as it should be. Nice car but not worth the £14K it is up for in my book.

Count me in on the North West meeting just let me have the details!

The Tuono is a beast, a couple of simple mods (remap, Akra, K&N & OZ wheels) and its now putting out well over 120 big ones which is everything you dont need in this weather so the Bandit is still providing a stirling service. Popped in last Thursday to the biker shop in Winsford you told me about. What an Aladdin’s cave! I had wondered what had happened to Catweasle, now I know! great bloke but fresh out rear of axle stands....I wills stop here as I am in danger of being on the wrong forum.............!

John
Great News about the car John,I will be making some noise about a convy closer to the time...watch the posts.

I always think of that guy in the bike shop reminds me a of Noddy Holder!
I will put another post on about cheap places for motorcycle Spares in a mo.

Regards

Jamie