Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 14th March 2016, 11:51   #61
Fifer
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE + 1947 Morris 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by planenut View Post
Whoops, oh poppycock. Washing and drying my latest acquisition, I suppose it is permanent ( 1.8T Tourer in BRG), and a nice lady neighbour said "They are a really smart car, it makes the street look better, and I always regard them as a distinguished gentlemans car!" I don't really know how to take that?
A back-handed compliment? I don't think so.

Better than when my granddaughter was little, and announced that I looked very "extinguished" though.

Fifer
Fifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2016, 14:09   #62
grivas
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubar View Post
So, I still occasionally get mocked for driving a Grandad car.

I got my 75 when I was 28.

How many younger drivers are there out there? Who is the youngest? and would anyone else agree with the Grandad car statement? (I know the last owner was surprised my age).

I don't really care what people say. Between the leather, walnut, oval analogue displays, sound system that seems to be tuned to play classical music and fact it's like driving an armchair I love it.

Special respect for the double boot feature. Awesome.

Now I just want it back on the road

Fubar
The Rover 75 was a beautifully designed and built car. That is the first statement and the is little argument there.
It was designed and built to reflect elegant British taste, it was not intended to be sporty, explosively fast, and most of all NOT to compete with the German standards, i.e. BMW, Audi and Mercedes, it was to reflect what a grand touring saloon and later tourer with the traditional British coach building, reminiscent of the saloons of the fifties and sixties.
It was built with little interference and financial constraints from Rover's owners at the time, BMW, that does not mean that they handed over all control, they wanted quality, and they made certain they got it, and this was reflected in the cars, can't think of a single car on the market at the time that was better built for the money, and that market segment, some things were not standard, all and all a great touring car.
The problem was that the Germans as much as killed it at launch when they gave the impression that Rover was on way out, the details are well known.
This with management errors and the public ran away, that that was that. Enjoy a great car, the likes off which you are unlikely to see again in a few years time we all will be driven around by a box with a battery and 4 wheels on each corner, that is progress.
grivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2016, 22:30   #63
genpk
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon MGZT

Speaking of which, I see the latest google driver less car has had its first accident !!! while testing !!!
genpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2016, 23:28   #64
Welshkid
Regular poster

2016 MG6 DTI GT S & 2006 75 Saloon Classic CDT 1989 & Austin Maestro

23 year old 75 owner here, owned a streetwise before this (and still do) and just fell in love when I first sat in a friend's 75. The wood and chrome just has so much class, way better than any of the fiestas and corsas everyone my age is driving. Admittedly the 1.8 hasn't been an easy car to maintain with all things considered, it's an amazing daily driver, up and down the motorway gets me 450 miles a tank (doing 60-ish). I can't compare many cars to the 75, it may not be quick being 1.8 non turbo but that's not what the car is about. People who call it an old man's car have no sense of style or class in my opinion. The person who owned my 75 previously was 17! it even had a black box fitted to it :O
Old 15th March 2016, 09:33   #65
__chris__
Avid contributor

2003 MG ZT 190+,(2005 Facelift R75 1.8T SE Conny now consigned to be a donor car)

I hope it's not a grandad's car otherwise my 16 year old daughter has got some explaining to do when she get's home from school this afternoon
__chris__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2016, 21:51   #66
blackcat65

ROVER 75 CONNOISSEUR DIESEL AUTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubar View Post
So, I still occasionally get mocked for driving a Grandad car.

I got my 75 when I was 28.

How many younger drivers are there out there? Who is the youngest? and would anyone else agree with the Grandad car statement? (I know the last owner was surprised my age).

I don't really care what people say. Between the leather, walnut, oval analogue displays, sound system that seems to be tuned to play classical music and fact it's like driving an armchair I love it.

Special respect for the double boot feature. Awesome.

Now I just want it back on the road

Fubar
A Young man in our road has a loud Suburu impretza used to roar up to the end of our close which has a few elderly neighbours when i complained that he was upsetting them he said your only jealous because you drive a Rover i thought mine will be here 20 years time his will be a rust bucket in a breakers yard.
blackcat65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2016, 22:28   #67
Scaramanga
I really should get out more.......

Firefrost 75 CDTi Conn SE manual Tourer

Is this a grandads car?

Errrmm.....

No of course not.

Regards, Scaramanga
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (12.8 KB, 133 views)
3. Midnight Blue 2.5 V6 auto Saloon- 'The 5th Gear Car' - Now owned by another forum member
4. Firefrost CDTi manual Tourer
Lee

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by Scaramanga; 28th April 2016 at 22:40..
Scaramanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2016, 12:57   #68
zedhed
Posted a thing or two

zt saloon turbo

Well folks the only thing I classed as a grandad car was those blue 3 wheelers with the handlebars to steer,back in the day.
zedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2016, 16:08   #69
Vanbursta
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.0 V6 Conn

Well all I can say is that I am a (new) Grandad, and I own a 75, I also couldn't really care less what other people think.
Old 29th April 2016, 17:21   #70
James.uk
Passed Away

2002 Pale Blue. Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur auto. 170K miles

Works in reverse for me, people hate being over taken by a pensioner in a flat cap doing a ton in an old Rover! lol.......
James.uk is offline   Reply With Quote