Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 26th November 2006, 00:34   #1
Bagpuss

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Harmony upgrade - possible on an early car?

Hi All,

Just wondering if someone can help me.

I've just recently bought a Rover 75 Connoisseur, and it's got a Harmony headunit. I've seen that there is a Symphony unit available, but I'm confused as to whether this would fit in my car.

From reading several ebay auctions, it would seem that the car needs to have a VIN greater than 1D218448, which mine doesn't.

Can anyone tell me what is different in my car that this headunit won't fit?
Is there a way to make it work?
I guess there must be, as the guide for the audio stuff that came with the car includes instructions for operating the symphony.

In actual fact, I'm not even sure how to decipher the VIN shown on my service book, and compare it with the ones shown in the auction. My VIN is much longer than the ones I'm seeing in the auctions, and doesn't have 1D as a prefix anywhere in it. Am I missing something, or is my car just too early (it's a 99 V plate).

Any help would be much appreciated.

Bagpuss.
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2006, 06:02   #2
yp53
Loves to post

ex- Rover 75 CDTi Tourer

There is no reason whatsoever why you shouldn't be able to upgrade. However, the two units use different connector blocks and you will need to get/make up an adaptor loom. The harmony uses a BMW style connector, whilst the symphony uses std ISO connectors for the speakers&power, plus some 'others' for the CD changer, steering controls, etc. As MGR used to sell an upgrade kit themselves, there is obviously a part number for such a loom - a phone call to Rimmers might prove fruitful.

The 'diversity' tuning feature of the symphony won't work (it uses two aerials and you only have one) and the speed dependant volume control will only work if you can tap a local speed signal. (white with red&yellow stripe wire I think)

If you already have a cd changer with the harmony, you will need a different one and a new connecting lead (this should be a minimal cost swap as you can easily sell one to fund the other)

This is not meant to be negative in any way - plenty of people have done this upgrade and the improvement in sound quality is worthwhile. Its just not quite a straight swap. But as Symphonys can now be picked up pretty cheaply (as you probably already know) it still may be a cost effective upgrade.

Best of luck!
yp53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2006, 08:35   #3
Bagpuss

Rover 75 Saloon

Hi yp53,

Thanks for the quick response. I figured that it wouldn't be quite as easy as I thought.

On the subject of the changer, the car has a generic Alpine unit fitted, rather than a Rover changer. Given that the Symphony is supposedly built by Alpine, would the two work together (perhaps with an adapter lead)?

As I've only just got the car, it's early days yet with regards to how I'm going to upgrade the stereo, as I still might go for a standard DIN Alpine unit, and re-use the changer that way.

Thanks again for the information.

Bagpuss.
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2006, 12:36   #4
raykay
I really should get out more.......

Now Other Manufacturer

The Symphony is a straight swap using a BMW to ISO lead.

The Harmony has a 17 pin BMW plug, the Symphony has 2x8 ISO plugs, the missing connection is the K-Bus lead which the Symphony uses for speed to volume control and the CD changer.

Some after market BMW to ISO adapter leads only have 13 cables you will need all 16 connected for the steering controls and phone mute to work.

The problem is your CD changer, although the Rover changer is made by Alpine, the wiring is different, so you may need another adapter lead to connect yours to a Symphony, (which also may need a Rover Harmony - Symphony adapter lead for the K-Bus connection)

If you get a standard Alpine unit, you will only need the BMW to ISO steering wheel adapter lead, with an Alpine adapter and a single DIN faceplate adapter.

I would check out the availability and prices before deciding which way to go.
raykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2009, 22:01   #5
MDMH757
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Talking Thinking about upgrading my Harmony head unit too!

Hi all,

I am considering changing my current harmony head unit in my 2002 Rover 75 CDT 2.0 Diesel Tourer.
Would really like one of those head units with the built in DVD screen, card slot, usb etc, i know i probably need a fascia adaptor plate i can get from Halfords.

Is this at all feasible? what connectore etc would i need?

i also have the 6 CD Multichanger in the glovebox, which i would look to upgrade at a later date. is this straight forward too??

Are these something i can do and still have all the existing functions, ie: steering wheel control etc.

Cheers

Maurice
MDMH757 is offline   Reply With Quote