Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 10th March 2017, 08:32   #1
DRC66
Avid contributor

Rover 75 and 75 Tourer

Default Electric Cooling Fan Question

The two speed electric cooling fan on my 2.5 V6 has stopped working. Common fault. I know it's stopped working as T4 session flagged it up plus you can't hear it kicking in on idle like it should. I've had a fan go on a V6 before and unless you were moving fast it would quickly overheat when in slow moving traffic.

My question is this. I know the fan isn't working however even at tickover in a traffic jam it's not overheating. Temperature gauge remains dead centre of the dial.

Very puzzled. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DRC66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2017, 12:09   #2
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

The fan only runs when it's required. It doesn't run whenever the engine's running unless some condition requires it. That's normally either the aircon system is switched on or the coolant temperature reaches it's trip point or both.

The 2-speed fan is resistor controlled for low speed and is needed for running aircon and engine cooling when the temperature reaches 100C.
If the resistor has failed (which is likely the reason here), then aircon will only work correctly when the car's moving forward above about 30mph. This creates enough draft to cool the condenser. However, when you slow down or stop in traffic, the aircon will overheat and eventually trip on the emergency cooling high speed.
For engine cooling, loss of the 100C cooling will allow it to reach 110C or more before the emergency high speed starts.
None of these temperature will affect the temperature gauge, which is basically next to useless. 'Normal' on the dial means 75-115C and everything between. If your engine reaches severe overheating conditions, the gauge won't tell you anything before the problems may have already happened.
You can fix the fan by replacing the slow speed resistor using the upgrade available from forum traders. eBay, electronics outlets like RS Components, Maplin, etc. There are lots of threads and HowTos on this.

TC

Last edited by T-Cut; 10th March 2017 at 12:12..
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2017, 22:47   #3
DRC66
Avid contributor

Rover 75 and 75 Tourer

Advice very much appreciated. Thanks
DC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DRC66 is offline   Reply With Quote