Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 10th April 2010, 11:42   #11
Departed 32016
This is my second home

Rover 75

i also looked at the jag, although i can't understand comments on servicing costs. It was the 2 litre fwd or 2.2 4wd diesels i was looking at. Even the petrols are a ford duratec engine aren't they? so shouldn't cost a fortune to run or service They seemed plagued by electrical faults but the the 75 zt had had its fair share of faults too. I think i would be proud to have either cars to be honest. Although as the jag has recently stopped production after very little changes and 9 years on, they must have done something right.
Departed 32016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2010, 19:33   #12
Jig The Pig
Regular poster

Vauxhall Insignia

I have a Jaguar X type and absolutly love it. Its a 2.0 diesel sport, its quick enough, handles great, economical 50mpg, cheap to tax £125 a year. I think its a stunning car. Its not a fortune to maintain as yes its ford based, so what. Remind me again where your CDT & CDTi lump is from eh eh!!! The fact that it is mondeo based is certainly not a bad thing as that is also a cracking car. Look at the reviews for the Mondeo and how many they sell. Jag may have stopped making the X type now, but its been their best seller.
Jaguar is still going strong with the XK, XF and the new XJ coming.
Where is Rover???
Old 10th April 2010, 19:34   #13
Telferstr
Posted a thing or two

Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross 3. 1.5 Petrol 6 Speed Manual Gearbox. Great fan of the Mk1 75 which I had 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonstoneboy View Post
Surely, the 'badge' is Ford since the X Type is a tarted up Mondeo
No the X=Type is not a tarted up Mondeo. Yes certain items share the Ford Parts Bin, as dose the Rover/ZT share the BMW Parts bin. The X-Type originally shared the basic chassis platform with the Mondeo (which happens to be very good) but then Jaguar went to work on the rest of the car and ended up with the X-Type. However I must agree that some of the basic specs cars do look very uninteresting indeed, with no rear arm rests etc., and very dull looking intreriors. However the higher spec vehicles are much very much better and by the time they went out of production (Dec2009) they were a very good cars indeed.
After 3 75's and not liking the new facelift 75 very much, I bought a 18month old 2005 Facelift S-Type and have enjoyed it very much. It has short comings in comparison to the 75, which are mainly down to poor storage areas in the cabin, Door Pockets virtually useless, and missing of some items that are found as standard on the 75. Left foot rest for example on my manual version and the Boot is too shallow which restricts it's capacity. Mechanically it is very smooth running, with 201 bhp on tap from its 2.5 ltr V6engine and is reasonably economical, 27/28 local type work, 31/32 long distance. My better half thinks the seats are not as comfortable as the 75 and she may have a point, but they are very comfortable all the same.
The problem will arise if and when we decide to change the car, as I think the XF which has the same build platform as the S, seem that bit bigger and bulkier again, and they no long do a manual version.
A picture of my 2005 Facelift S-Type 2.5 V6 Petrol Engine, 5 speed manual Gearbox, Zircon Blue.

Regards,
Telfer

Last edited by Telferstr; 10th April 2010 at 19:59..
Telferstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2010, 19:43   #14
2Diesels
Trader

ZT 260SE, Connoisseur CDT

Very valid points put across there by the Jag men I mean at the end of the day this "it's just a Mondeo" rubbish is well er rubbish, yes they share many underpinnings but they are not a Mondeo, that's like saying a Datsun 240 is just an Austin Westminster.........nothing remotely like each other but the underpinnings are basically the same
2Diesels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2010, 19:46   #15
Jig The Pig
Regular poster

Vauxhall Insignia

My X type

Old 10th April 2010, 19:53   #16
Telferstr
Posted a thing or two

Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross 3. 1.5 Petrol 6 Speed Manual Gearbox. Great fan of the Mk1 75 which I had 3

Just a wee point re the S-Type Jaguar Facelift.
Note they kept the Chrome strips in the Bumpers, in fact extending them across the whole of the rear Bumper. Also made the strips slightly narrower on the front and rear, than the original version.
Now I think deleting the Chrome on the bumpers is something MGRover made a mistake on. It was one of the items that made the 75 look that little bit special.
But thats just my opinion.
Regards,
Telfer.

Last edited by Telferstr; 11th April 2010 at 10:19..
Old 10th April 2010, 22:13   #17
Phil
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur SE

I do like your facelift S type Telfer. I don't like the prefacelifted one at all though. Not sure why.
I think the X type looks lovely compared to anything else out there to be honest.
Old 11th April 2010, 09:11   #18
Simondi
Regional Secretary

MGTF, MG ZS EV Exclusive

Thanked 3,563 Times in 1,857 Posts

My next door neighbour has an X type Jag. Very similar colour to my 75, similar ages as well. Personally I prefer the 75 but then I am somewhat biased

As you know my 75 is a classic se ( but moving up the spec ladder!!) I'm not sure what spec the Jag is. I have had a few lifts etc in the Jag and as a passenger I found it more cramped than when I have been a passenger in the 75. Toys wise it does not appear to have much more than my 75.

Would I have one? Well if for any reason I could not have a 75 (or ZT) then yes I would definatly look at buying a Jag. They are truely gorgeous cars and they are British.
Simondi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2010, 09:26   #19
Telferstr
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simondi View Post
My next door neighbour has an X type Jag. Very similar colour to my 75, similar ages as well. Personally I prefer the 75 but then I am somewhat biased

As you know my 75 is a classic se ( but moving up the spec ladder!!) I'm not sure what spec the Jag is. I have had a few lifts etc in the Jag and as a passenger I found it more cramped than when I have been a passenger in the 75. Toys wise it does not appear to have much more than my 75.

Would I have one? Well if for any reason I could not have a 75 (or ZT) then yes I would definatly look at buying a Jag. They are truely gorgeous cars and they are British.
Well said that man. Maybe if our Government had put in a very small fraction of the money used to prop-up the Banks, we would still have 2 major British car producers today. But they did nothing.
I must admit that although I like the S, I do miss my 75.
Regards,
Telfer.
Old 11th April 2010, 10:50   #20
Thomas
This is my second home

MG6 1.8T GT SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieranswood View Post
i also looked at the jag, although i can't understand comments on servicing costs. It was the 2 litre fwd or 2.2 4wd diesels i was looking at. Even the petrols are a ford duratec engine aren't they? so shouldn't cost a fortune to run or service They seemed plagued by electrical faults but the the 75 zt had had its fair share of faults too. I think i would be proud to have either cars to be honest. Although as the jag has recently stopped production after very little changes and 9 years on, they must have done something right.

2.2 is still fwd the only 4wd models were the petrols,Thank god Jaguar done away with the x type now ,it only made them seem more downmarket which is why they were ditched now that TATA own them, they were well screwd together just screwed together with rubbish,ie door latches etc,and do remember that if misfuelled a ford engine will destruct its injection pump and injectors which is why after a few thousand miles after tank flushed etc car runs rough and eml comes on, it costs approx £3k to fix (At main dealer) and if you dont tell them Jaguar now check fueling systems for signs of petrol as it was costing them so much under warranty, I worked at Jaguar and the rest of the range was incredible however these things gave us a bad name.
Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote