Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 29th May 2010, 17:12   #41
Cymrudragon
I really should get out more.......

MGZTT2.5 V6 190+ SE 2002

Despite the problems I had, I would consider another ZT but only a V8. I wouldn't go near anything with a K-Series lump

Rawhide[/quote]

Best not buy one of thease then

OR
Cymrudragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2010, 17:49   #42
Telferstr
Posted a thing or two

Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross 3. 1.5 Petrol 6 Speed Manual Gearbox. Great fan of the Mk1 75 which I had 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
I had a 2002 Jaguar X-type 2 litre V6 petrol for two and a half faultless years and absolutely loved it. As the mileage was approaching 100K, I decided that it was time for a change.

I chose an 04 plate MG ZT 160+ with only 47K on the clock. Worst mistake of my motoring life! After only 3 days it suffered the dreaded HGF. This was promptly repaired under warranty by the dealer.

Despite careful treatment, plumes of white smoke from the exhaust heralded a cracked cylinder liners. New liners, pistons, valves and head gasket were fitted and during road testing the turbo oil seal failed!

After fitting a new turbo the silver beast managed to cover 185 miles before yet another HGF!

The car is now back with the dealer and my money returned. This money has been well spent on an 03 plate Jaguar X-Type with 35000 on the clock and calmness and reliability has returned.

My opinion of the MG ZT: Fabulous sports saloon let down by an engine seemingly made of cheese.

My opinion of the Jag X-Type: Fabulous sports saloon!

So long and thanks for all the calls to the AA.

Rawhide.
Sorry to read of your experience with the ZT.
With the Head Gasket failing again I would seriously doubt the quality of the repair carried out in the first place. Obviously the repairer had not diagnosed the cause of the original failure correctly and therefore in missing this important step, failed to rectify same along with other important checks and hence the second HG failure.
A great shame, as I'm sure you would have enjoyed the ownership of the ZT/75.
Regards,
Telfer.
Telferstr is offline   Reply With Quote